The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
[b][Ecumenical Patriarch rebukes Moscow and underlines importance of ties with Rome]

Catholic World News - September 04, 2015
https://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=26037

Orthodox Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople underlined the importance of ecumenical ties with Rome, and criticized the resistance of the Russian Orthodox Church, in an August 29 address. The Ecumenical Patriarch—recognized as the “first among equals” of the world’s Orthodox leaders—stressed the primary importance of ecumenical affairs, and reiterated that his role involves “protecting the unity of the whole Orthodox Church.” He said that opposition to ecumenical unity reflects a “diabolical” impulse. Patriarch Bartholomew said that his continuing contacts with the Holy See are a critical component of his ecumenical work. He expressed his enthusiasm for the planned worldwide Orthodox council, but conceded that it cannot accurately be described as an ecumenical council “because Western Christians are not invited to participate as members.” The Ecumenical Patriarch—who has frequently sparred in recent years with the leaders of the Patriarchate of Moscow—clearly appeared to be criticizing the Russian Orthodox leadership when he spoke critically about Orthodox bodies that “maintain intimate connections with the government of their land and enjoy abundant financial support,” and advance the political interests of their nations.

Source: Keynote Address By His All-Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew to the Synaxis of Hierarchs of the Throne http://www.ec-patr.org/docdisplay.php?lang=en&id=2078&tla=en

Last edited by Tomassus; 09/05/15 10:39 AM.
M
M
I see no rebuke or mention of Moscow other than Tomassus's own parenthetical remark. I'll take text over subtext in serious items like this. It would be unwise to attribute expressions to the EP which have not been articulated by it.

From the Ecumenical Patriarch recent address to the EP Synaxis:

Finally, it would be an omission not to underline to this sacred body the difficulties encountered in the overall enterprise of convening the Holy and Great Council. The most serious of these problems arise from the fact that many of the local Orthodox Churches have regrettably been pervaded by a spirit of nationalism and even, sometimes, by the very heresy condemned as ethnophyletism, which converts the Church into a servant of political ambitions of the state. Thus, some of our sister Orthodox Churches, which maintain intimate connections with the government of their land and enjoy abundant financial support, strive through every means – including the planned Holy and Great Council – to promote interests and strategies of a political nature, thereby creating fractures within Orthodox unity.

While not mentioning the Moscow Patriarchate by name (or other Orthodox Churches) it is clear that the Russian Church and State are, at times, intimately connected. It also seems clear that there seems to be two, for lack of better words, factions within Orthodoxy. The Greek Churches and then the Slavic Churches. The latter looks more to Moscow, while the former looks to the Ecumenical Patriarch.

Mark R,

It's 'diplomatic speech'. It would be unseemly for the EP to bluntly state "Moscow, you've been naughty."

Reminds me of...
If a diplomat says 'Yes', he means 'Maybe';
if he says 'Maybe', he means 'No';
if he says 'No', he is not a diplomat!

U
U
While it is certainly not His Beatitude’s intention, I think the speech is a terrible indictment of world Orthodoxy. The inability to call the world Orthodox Churches together in synod for such a long period of time and counting, is not just scandalous, but dumbfounding and bespeaks the failure of the whole system of Autocephaly as a viable ecclesiology for a world Church.

I don't know about that, Utroque. It goes back to the question of: is this a church dividing issue, the situation with Jerusalem/Antioch not withstanding.

It's a travesty, yes. But I don't think the whole system is a failure; it's called uncovering the roadblock, which was the stymie of Churches due to oppression, something the Latin Church on the whole hasn't had to endure in recent years.

M
M
I don't think it is a failure at all. The EP indicates that they have not called an Ecumenical Council because they recognize the West should be involved. That shows a humble respect for Tradition. I see that as a BIG positive, instead of a negative.

Blessings

U
U
Originally Posted by mardukm
I don't think it is a failure at all. The EP indicates that they have not called an Ecumenical Council because they recognize the West should be involved. That shows a humble respect for Tradition. I see that as a BIG positive, instead of a negative.

Blessings

Autocephaly has not been a success either, and seems to have contributed to the very nationalism that the His Beatitude abhors. It certainly was not the ecclesiological model of the first millennium, and if that epoch is going to be a starting point for an honest dialogue between East and West, the Orthodox will need to acknowledge its deficiencies; while the West certainly needs to acknowledge the deficiencies of its own highly centralized system. On the whole, I did find the speech positive and, while highly stylized in EP “speak”, inspiring.

Blessings to you, too!

S
S
Originally Posted by Utroque
Autocephaly has not been a success either, and seems to have contributed to the very nationalism that the His Beatitude abhors. It certainly was not the ecclesiological model of the first millennium

It certainly was. Papal supremacy meanwhile is an innovation.

The Orthodox Church maintains the apostolic faith and brings souls to Christ. If that's not a measure of "success," what is?

U
U
Originally Posted by SwanOfEndlessTales
It certainly was. Papal supremacy meanwhile is an innovation.

The Orthodox Church maintains the apostolic faith and brings souls to Christ. If that's not a measure of "success," what is?

That said, there certainly is no need for dialogue, is there? As the wonderful American poet, William Stafford wrote in his poem "Religion Back Home", Our Father Who art in Heaven can lick their Father Who art in Heaven!

The primacy of the Bishop of Rome is no innovation. Its extreme manifestations throughout history are just as abhorrent as any ecclesiastical abuse, east, west, north or south, and are best acknowledged, dealt with, forgiven and forgotten. Despite her sins the Catholic Church continues to hold the apostolic faith and bring souls to Christ, too. If numbers are any measure of success, she, as the EP acknowledges in his speech, has been quite successful.

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.