The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
Sorry, it wasn't you but Pani Rose who posted the article about how Putin's Russia is some Christian wonderland.

1950's America was a hateful place, quaint smalltown anecdotes aside.

I agree with byzanTN; I feel sorry for you that you grew up with so much hate. I recently moved my grandson to southwestern agricultural Iowa. I live in a forested semi-rural area in northwestern PA and thought we were fairly isolated from the cynicism, violence and impersonal nature of metropolia. I was so pleasantly surprised and amazed at the politeness, courtesy and friendliness of EVERYONE I met. It reminded me of my growing up years in the 50's and 60's.

What is so great about our Hollywood culture of today? Broken families, riots, hatred and divisiveness abound. Mothers are encouraged to kill their children in the womb; isn't it sickening to you that it is even a RIGHT that mercenary doctors are hired for this evil deed? Soon we will be able to kill our parents so that we can save our inheritance money before it gets drained by medical expenses. Americans don't care about each other anymore, its everyone with his hand out.

I think this is not a better time for us in the US. My African American friend wept when he saw the lazy good for nothing Blacks in NO during Katrina unable to walk a few blocks to a bus barn and save people. They were cursing Bush for not saving them and they were so helpless they could not imagine doing anything to save themselves let alone anyone else. He recalled that only a generation or so ago Blacks had families and trades. Now all most had were babies that they did not care for and living off women that they had impregnated. He blamed much of this on the Democrats. He was until that moment a faithful Democrat but no longer. He became a Republican and a rather conservative one. No, nothing except maybe technology, is better now than it was two generations ago.

B
B
Supposedly, we southerners where horribly prejudiced and oppressed blacks. I think some of the prejudice was regional rather than overall. The worst prejudice and hatred towards blacks I ever encountered was in a large northern city. I was shocked by that. You notice I use the term "blacks." I have an older black friend who once said, "don't call me an African American. I'm not African, I am American through and through." She was right in the sense that she had been no closer to Africa than I had been, which was never.

I think we need to pray for some leadership in this country, and for a new president who has such qualities. It can't happen soon enough.

S
S
Originally Posted by byzanTN
Supposedly, we southerners where horribly prejudiced and oppressed blacks.

"Supposedly" is right! Who comes up with such outlandish notions? It must be that liberal brainwashing again. It's not like the South ever started a bloody civil war over the right to enslave Africans. And it's not as if white southerners later gave broad based support to a terrorist organization that specialized in lynching, attacks, and intimidation against the black population. And it's not like politicians and police captains belonged to or supported said organization. And it's not like white southerners fought like hell to prevent blacks from voting whenever they could. And it's not like white southerners had anything to do with enacting Jim Crow laws. And it's not like white southerners fought like hell against desegregation. No, that's all a pack of leftist nonsense which ignores the fact that life in, say, 1950's Tennessee was perfectly idyllic and harmonious before those black folk got all uppity and demanded things like "rights." I can still see it now, all the decades after, sitting back on my porch with a nice cool glass of iced tea, with my token black friend rocking beside me, smiling, as we watch the cotton pick itself.

Last edited by SwanOfEndlessTales; 09/15/15 03:39 PM.
B
B
Depends on where you were. In western TN where a cotton economy once prevailed, it was classic South. You do know much of the Civil War was caused by high tariffs and taxes imposed by the north, I hope. It wasn't all about slavery. In my eastern part of the state, it was and is mountainous, gets too cold for cotton, and doesn't lend itself to farming on any kind of large scale. There were few slaves here and most were household servants rather than field hands. Consequently, a greater closeness existed between the races which likely made integration a bit easier. What segregation that exists today is no more than a normal desire to be with one's own people. The Hispanics do the same. In any event, you didn't personally witness any of it unless you are even older than I am. Neither of us ever met a slave, I am 100% sure. Now put some TN whiskey in that ice tea and mellow out. You need more Zen. LOL.

What is so great about our Hollywood culture of today? Broken families, riots, hatred and divisiveness abound.

Agreed. Both black and white families are broken today, and in different, but equally sad ways. White families suffer divorce and anger between parents that children need to shuffle between, and black families suffer from lack of father figures to help influence them and give them support and hope.

Hardly any one eats around a family dinner table anymore to eat a homemade meal that nurtures the body and the soul too, thinking that running children to this and that activity and grabbing a fast food meal is 'better' for them.

Children cannot explore the world on their own safely anymore. It is cause for arrest to even allow your child to wonder on their own.

There is so much that is truly horrible in our society today, and one would would not know it, I suppose, if they don't have the memories and point of reference for comparison.

As far as race, it would be good for Swan to know that many ethnic groups (Italians, Greeks, Lebanese, Jews) suffered intense discrimination also for their darker skin colors in this country. They lived together and worked hard to escape, and didn't let it victimize them. Mexicans and Latinos suffer alot of hate from segments of society today and that makes me sad. Hatred for those that are different will always be something that mankind will suffer from. *sigh*....

Originally Posted by SwanOfEndlessTales
Sorry, it wasn't you but Pani Rose who posted the article about how Putin's Russia is some Christian wonderland.

One could say that some of that supposed 'hate' is apparent here too, especially when the words 'Russia' or 'Putin' are invoked!! frown

B
B
Originally Posted by Alice
Originally Posted by SwanOfEndlessTales

One could say that some of that supposed 'hate' is apparent here too, especially when the words 'Russia' or 'Putin' are invoked!! frown

There is plenty of hate to go around. It also seems to me to be getting worse, and I don't think that is just age talking. In the earlier list of the darker skinned who were discriminated against, very true. However, don't forget the Irish who are definitely not dark skinned. They were some of the most hated in the country at one time.

I think this topic has run its course. The exchanges are becoming less civil and Christian than this board hopes members will exhibit.