The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
hydra, Kind, Augoustinos, Poliscifi, The Cub
5606 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 70 guests, and 405 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,756
Posts412,071
Members5,606
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Orthodox funeral traditions #414479 01/12/16 12:45 PM
Orthodox Catholic Offline OP
OP Offline
I've seen an Orthodox site sell funerary items which include a special shroud, a prayer of forgiveness of sins and a hand cross.

I'd like to know more about the hand Cross - it is placed in the reposed member's hands, correct?

thank you!

Alex

Re: Orthodox funeral traditions [Re: Orthodox Catholic] #414482 01/12/16 08:27 PM
F
Fr David Straut Offline
F
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
I've seen an Orthodox site sell funerary items which include a special shroud, a prayer of forgiveness of sins and a hand cross.

I'd like to know more about the hand Cross - it is placed in the reposed member's hands, correct?

thank you!

Alex

Yes Alex, often a hand cross or an icon are placed in the hands of the one fallen asleep, which is kissed by the mourners as they venerate the relics (body).

You do not mention the paper band with the Trisagion which is placed across the forehead of the one fallen asleep. This is also often kissed in venerating the relics.

Fr David Straut

Re: Orthodox funeral traditions [Re: Fr David Straut] #414494 01/13/16 10:22 PM
OP Offline
Bless me a sinner, Reverend Father!

Thank you! I prefer to pray privately with a similar Cross in hand, especially when praying on the Passion of our Lord, God and Saviour, Jesus Christ. It is a wonderful way to excite devotion!

I once saw a photograph of a group of Orthodox catechumens under the tutelage of Bl. Seraphim Rose. In addition to wearing Orthodox Crosses on cords, they also held a hand Cross.

Orthodox monastics are given hand Crosses during tonsure. I've never heard of newly baptised Orthodox Christian adults receiving hand Crosses.

Is my observation here correct? If so, what would be the purpose of the hand Cross in that event?

Kissing your right hand, I again implore your blessing,

Alex

Re: Orthodox funeral traditions [Re: Orthodox Catholic] #414501 01/14/16 09:16 PM
Alice Offline
I have noticed (at wakes) a hand cross or an icon in the hands of the departed.

Re: Orthodox funeral traditions [Re: Orthodox Catholic] #414507 01/15/16 01:03 AM
M
Mark R Offline
M
I was told by my old priest that the cross is one's "key" to heaven. It is not a memento to take home like funeral home chingilingi.

Re: Orthodox funeral traditions [Re: Mark R] #414628 01/21/16 11:15 PM
OP Offline
Yes indeed sir!

In my community, it is traditional to place rosary beads in the hands of the reposed.

My point is that whatever is placed there should hopefully have been well-used by the deceased during his or her lifetime!

Alex

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.