The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 134 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

U
U
Your rant, dear friend, indicates to me that you know little of these saintly popes. It was Papa Francesco who raised Pope John Paul II to saintly glory. St. John Paul II was tireless in his efforts to reconcile all Christians, even Protestants of every stripe. I informed you in a previous post that both brought the Eucharist to the Protestant monk, Brother Roger. Pope emeritus Benedict XVI has professed his complete confidence in the presiding pope, and Francis seeks both his wisdom and intellect, not to mention his spiritual strength, and I'm sure with Benedict's blessing he is going off to Havana to meet the Patriarch. Perhaps you could give His Holiness, Pope Francis your blessing for his journey of reconciliation. In any event, please take the advice I offered you in my first post and do those prostrations or imitate poor Henry at Canossa.

L
L
Is this meeting between Pope Francis and Patriarch Cyril a good thing? Can we expect good results for Crimea and Ukraine, or just some superficial photo-op? I am sorry if I sound cynical, but Rome has been wanting this meeting for such a long time (Pope St. John Paul II desparately wanted to meet Patriarch Alexius II), so why is it happening now? What do the Russians feel they have to gain from a meeting now? John Allen at CruxNow thinks Cyril has wanted this all along and now feels stong enough to withstand internal criticism. Is that it? At least, please do not tell me that the Russians have been charmed by the apparent humility of Pope Francis. I am sure there is more to it than that.

G
G
Wow, I woke up this morning to learn the news! shocked
Pope Francis has done it again and surprised us!
I am without words.
I had been praying for this to happen with St. John Paul II.

I will definitely be watching the news coverage.

I am concerned especially with what impact this will have on the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, considering that the Russian Orthodox Church has complained about the UGCC being a "problem". I am curious to know if His Beatitide Sviatoslav Shevchuk had any involvement or input.

U
U
Here in Maine, as perhaps in Norway, our cold winters yield to early spring thaws that we call "mud season"; in mid-spring that in turn yields to the glory of very verdant summers. My prayer is that a thousand year winter freeze can yield the same in warm Havana. I expect nothing but good. Pace e Bene!

L
L
Deo volente, some good will come of it. And yes, cold winters yield to beautiful summers in Norway too smile

J
jjp Offline
J

D
D
Am I the only one whose first reaction to the denial was to think of Comrade Andropov's cold?

And then the newer info . . .

smile --i think

hawk

J
JLF Offline
J
The Wall Street Journal's reporter in Rome interviewed me on the phone today. Here's the story:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/pope-to-meet-russian-orthodox-leader-in-cuba-1454673252

Jack

O
O
Jack

Unless you are subscribed or wish to subscribe you cannot read the article

L
L
Actually, if you google the headline [google.no] and follow the link from there, you should be able to read the full WSJ article.

T
OP Offline
T
UKRAINIAN PATRIARCH REMAINS HOPEFUL ABOUT MEETING BETWEEN THE POPE AND THE MOSCOW PATRIARCH

5 February 2016
http://risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/catholics/ugcc/62409/

The UGCC Media Department has released the following reaction of Patriarch Sviatoslav Shevchuk to the announcement of the upcoming meeting of Pope Francis with Patriarch Kiril of Moscow, in Havana, Cuba:

I do not expect Pope Francis' meeting with Patriarch Kirill, scheduled for February 12, will bring about specific changes. Although it is good that the meeting will take place and I am glad that, finally, the ROC has come to the understand that it is necessary to meet.

Patriarch Sviatoslav said that, over the years, the Russian Orthodox Church has refused such a meeting and called the Ukrainian Catholic Church an obstacle to dialogue. "The meeting can not be an end in itself but rather a tool, a necessary means for honest and open dialogue. We are very glad that we were no longer considered an obstacle and we are no longer cited as the reason for their reluctance to engage in such dialogue ", - said the patriarch.

He stressed that the meeting of two primates, actually being held on the eve of the 70th anniversary of the Lviv pseudo-synod, which forcibly suppressed the UGCC [in Ukraine] . "The Russian Orthodox Church, unfortunately, has yet to condemn the conduct of the violent act that made the Soviets. We hope that the meeting of the Pope and Patriarch create a new context for the movement towards historical justice "- said the patriarch.

The Head of the UGCC hopes that the very fact of the meeting will alter some radical rhetoric coming from the Russian Orthodox, who do not recognize the Catholic Church as valid, re-baptize Catholics and entice them to become Orthodox, do not take part in common prayers and even called the whole process of seeking church unity "heresy of ecumenism". We saw an example of such intolerance last week in Donetsk when, during a rally staged outside the Greek Catholic parish, we were referred to as "a sect."

"It is likely that during the meeting the Pope and the Patriarch will speak about the current situation in Ukraine. I hope that the Holy Father Francis, who always raises his voice in defense of hurt, become the voice of Ukrainian leading their struggle for cohesion and unity of the country. God grant that Patriarch Kirill will, as a result of the meeting, give the necessary instructions to the faithful Russian Orthodox Church and the Russian authorities, to quickly stop the aggression of Russia against Ukraine and arrive at a just peace "- the patriarch concluded.

A
A
Feb 6,2016
I pray that the Holy Spirit may guide the two Patriarchs in their meeting and begin the necessary steps to REUNITE the separated Churches.
(Signed): Anaphora

G
G
Arrival of Patriarch Kirill to Havana being broadcast live right now:

L
L
Live now on EWTN http://www.ewtn.com/
Signing of Joint Declaration and Farewell.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.