The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
D
I don't get quite so carried away with scouring ingredients on labels. No meat means no meat, gravies or broth (as in soups). No dairy means no cheese (or cheese sauces), no milk, or yoghurt or eggs. But my sandwich bread -- for the peanut butter --contains 'fortified milk solids'; and this is true for much of our contemporary 'manufactured' foods. I find it hard enough at the salad bar to pass by the hard-boiled eggs (my TRUE weakness, well, OK grilled cheese too!!) without driving myself nuts wondering if there's some milk derivative in the croutons on my green salad.

I know our Jewish brethren (at least those who are 'observant') get very picky about this for the period of Passover and other major holydays. But I myself just can't afford the psychological tension I'd put on myself if I were to start reading all these labels for fleshmeat and diary protein derivatives. (And what the heck is calcium proprionate anyway? And why is it in everything?)

Blessings!! And a good fast to all.

Greetings all,

As a 15 year veteran vegetarian, I can definatly help with recipes for keeping to the fast. Anyone can email me and I would be more than happy to share my recipes, right now I have too many to pick from to choose just one! I am typically an Ovo-Lacto veggie ( I eat eggs and dairy and eschew red meat, chicken and fish) When I fast I eschew all dairy and eggs Here are some websites that have recipes will help you get started...

1. WWW.EPICURIOUS.COM [www.epicurious.com] (many meatless recipes)
2. Vrg.org
3. vegetariantimes.com

Here are a couple of books you can find at your local bookstore or library

1. "In the Kitchen" Nava Atlas (Nava has several titles to her credit all are good)
2. Vegetarian Times collected Recipes
3. Vegetarian Epicure Anna Thomas
4. Enchanted Brocolli Forest and The Moosewood Cookbook Both titles by Mollie Katzen

I hope these suggestions help, if anyone has any questions about eating meatless and nutrition content I am more than happy to help!

In Christ,

MrsJensen

smile

Dear Mrs. Jensen,

As someone who is fast becoming a vegetarian as he discovers more about his health "roots," I appreciate your post.

You are a bit late with Lent, but I understand the Oriental Orthodox have a pre-Pentecost fast smile

God bless,

Alex

N
N
Hi,

Homemade egg rolls.Egg roll skins can be found in the produce section. I use fresh bok choy,nappa, fresh beans sprouts & shredded carrots. Canned sliced water chestnuts.Mix with soy sauce & the secret ingredient (peanut butter the protein). Roll in egg roll skin. You can get by with sealing the egg rolls with water(not egg). Fry in oil. I also posted somewhere under town hall a bean tomato spinach soup recipe and mushroon barley soup recipe.Just sustitute mushroom broth for beef it works just as good.For breakfast Quaker Oats puts out a good oatmeal called "Nutrition for Women" Cinnamon Vanilla flavor. Also check out Foodnetwork.com they have alot of good recipes. I am trying one called "Stuff portabella mushroom caps top with smoked Mozzarella Cheese"

Nicky's Baba

Talk about old friends on here. Hope all are Ok, looking through the pages, good stuff, even greater people smile

B
B
Originally Posted by Pani Rose
Talk about old friends on here. Hope all are Ok, looking through the pages, good stuff, even greater people smile

I look here every year for suggestions and recipes. Of course, some things are a given, like dark chocolate. grin

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Alice, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.