The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
bkovacs Offline OP
OP Offline
When will Greek Catholic clergy start offering Akathist Services during Lent vs The Stations of the Cross, which is a Latin tradition. Didn't Vatican 2 dictate for Greek Catholics to go back to their traditions?. "De-Latinization" The Akathist service is a Byzantine practice vs The Stations of the Cross and Rosary are Latin practices. Why do these Greek Catholic priests feel that being Catholic means offering Latin practices?. I wish it would stop.

S
S
While I've got no problem with the Akathist hymn, if a parish has been doing stations of the cross for generations, I think it's wrongheaded to abolish the practice because "We're Byzantine and we do Byzantine things." A forced delatinization is as bad as a forced Latinization.

The Akathist on Fridays of Lent is more of Greek practice. However, the hierarchs have been pretty clear that Presanctified Liturgy is the only service to be offered Wed and Fri nights, i.e. no Stations. How many holdouts are left in Passaic?

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
bkovacs Offline OP
OP Offline
http://stanneukrainiancc.com/whats_new_11.html

I see "Stations of the Cross" Friday at 7:00pm. I guess this UGCC parish is an exception to the rule. Sad isn't it!. Cheers!

I see them maintaining a liturgical days, I see Presanctified on Wed, these are all good things. Don't forget that Stattions was one of the services they did in Ukraine while the Greek Catholic Church was illegal. Ukrainian parishes tend to have immigrants, so perhaps this is a pastoral concession to people still attached to the service. So, no not sad at all.

Last edited by Fr. Deacon Lance; 03/11/16 04:11 PM.

bkovacs Offline OP
OP Offline
They also rarely use incense at the Divine Liturgy. Is that a pastoral care as well?. The priests' second parish St Anne's Ukrainian Catholic Church also rarely uses incense. You may wish to contact the pastor and ask him why incense is not used. That is a main function in the Divine Liturgy. To offer incense.

No it is not, but you are equating different things. Numerous instructions have stated that incense is to be used at every service where this is indicated in the rubrics on Sunday's and Feast Days and while not absolutely required in weekday Liturgies it is encouraged and praiseworthy. That is a bit different than providing a service the people are attached to while complying with the other rules.

Moderated by  Alice, Fr. Deacon Lance, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.