The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Have you tried decaf? LOL
Calm down already - you'll have a stroke if you're not careful.

Originally Posted by bkovacs
Sorry but you will always get my criticism until things change. and Eastern Catholics are FULLY Eastern!. Completely 100% De-Latinized.
Zero-tolerance policies tend to sound great, but it can get a bit difficult when somebody asks what exactly it means.

D
D
Originally Posted by bkovacs
Sorry but you will always get my criticism until things change. and Eastern Catholics are FULLY Eastern!. Completely 100% De-Latinized.

100% would seem to require elimination of that pre-consecrated liturgy written by a certain Bishop of Rome . . .

hawk

P
P
I have just read all 3 pages of this topic, and each has its merit on HOW TO EVANGELIZE OR MAKE OTHERS AWARE OF OUR EXISTENCE.
As I mentioned in another thread, you have to really want to let others know, what is really special about being Eastern Catholic(in my case, Ruthenian). I read not long ago that only 7% of Catholic's go to church every Sunday. Some may be bored, or lost interest in church, etc. Lets try to get those that have fallen away and get them to experience the BEST KEPT SECRET OF CATHOLICISM. It can be done and don't give up. Our Lord wants you to use what HE gave you.

P
P

Could evangelization be part of education of the Latin Rite? Think of the various Roman Catholic's who may have dropped from church attendance. Think of many Roman Catholic's who know little about the Byzantine Catholics or even other Rite's of the Catholic church. Myself & a few parishioners have set up a table in a Roman Catholic festival, and were there to educate--anyone, about the Eastern Lung of the Catholic Church( evangelize) with handouts and conversation. It can be done, but requires time and dedication.

P
P
I have read previous that Eastern Catholic;s should stay away from Evangelizing Roman Catholic;s. If you want to educate anybody about, the Eastern Lung, and many are completely unaware of others in the Catholic faith, If their faith is weak, and they find that they prefer Eastern Catholicism--what is wrong with that??

John
John
Originally Posted by PlymouthFossil
I have read previous that Eastern Catholic;s should stay away from Evangelizing Roman Catholic;s. If you want to educate anybody about, the Eastern Lung, and many are completely unaware of others in the Catholic faith, If their faith is weak, and they find that they prefer Eastern Catholicism--what is wrong with that??
Perspective is needed. Evangelization is about bringing those who do not know Christ into a saving relationship with Him. We do not spread the good news of the Eastern Church itself. We spread the Good News of Jesus Christ utilizing the Eastern approach to worshiping Father, Son and Spirit. Activities like educating Roman Catholics (and others) about 'who we are' are laudable and useful. But the goal must never to bring them from Roman Catholicism into Byzantine Catholicism. [Yes, invite the unchurched, but don't steal the sheep who are happy with their current parish.]

It's been my long stated opinion that the ability for a parish to evangelize flows directly from a proper celebration of the Divine Liturgy and other services. If your evangelization effort results in someone visiting your parish the liturgical life there must not chase them away.

P
P
If those who know Christ, have fallen away from HIS teaching or have fallen away from church attendance, then if we try to reach them, to return--that to me is evangelization. If I want to take the time to try to reach them, and if I happen to be Eastern Catholic and they might be Roman Catholic, and they are confused, if I am Catholic, and I explain it to them, then they might return to CHURCH, So this is an answer to the ADMINISTRATOR,

M
M
Can anyone recommend how to convince our pastors to evangelize like the JW's? A few years ago I was involved in such an evangelization in Rhode Island with the RC Church!

Uh, no. I'd rather be a witness in the way I live, and share the Gospel, using words when necessary.

Originally Posted by dochawk
There's no reason to evangelize Latins.

If they come to a liturgy, they either are amazed and return, or they prefer to stay.

The sheer welcoming warmth in every (ruthenian) BC parish I've ever encountered draws people in.

hawk

Indeed. All Catholics, Latin and Eastern, should be working together to evangelize the world, to bring people to Jesus Christ and to the Holy Catholic Church He created. We should not be competing with each other. Bringing back those who have fallen away from the Church, yes. But poaching from each other, no.

Educating Latins on the Eastern Catholics, yes. But I do not consider those activities to be "evanvelizing". I consider that insulting, considering we already share the same faith.

Last edited by seraphim09; 06/08/17 04:28 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Fr. Deacon Lance 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.