The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#415473 04/11/16 01:47 PM
OP Offline
Brothers and sisters:

I am in the midst of an advanced plan for a gentleman who is Ukrainian Orthodox. He asked me to find him an Orthodox Burial Shroud with head band. I've also found him a hand cross. Done that. He said that this is normal in his home parish.

No one is my area has ever seen a funeral done like this. He has been attending a Syrian Orthodox parish near me and the priest has never heard of using a shroud.

My question is when do I place the shroud on the body? After the Funeral Service? Before? If before, does the hand stay out with the hand cross in it?

Thank.

Bob

We Malankara (and I assume Syriac) use the cloth with the same name as the cloth used to cover the Eucharistic elements - it's called a Sushaffo: [Linked Image]

This is kept folded at the deceased's chest until the last funeral prayer is intoned, prior to the closing of the casket. At this point, the shroud is used to cover the face of the deceased by his oldest male relative, incense and perfumes are sprayed over the body of the deceased first the clergy, then the entire congregation (or just immediate family) scatter incense over the deceased in a cross form.

The hand cross would be put away and either given to the family or whatever the local custom is.

I'm familiar with the headband - a strip of cloth placed across the forehead of the deceased. At the moment, can't recall the writing on it. The shroud, on the other hand, is something I've never heard of. I'd be interested is anyone can find any more information on this in the context of Ukrainian Orthodox use.

Did a quick image search (Orthodox burial shroud):
* headband [easterngiftshop.com]
* shroud & headband in use [ss-sergius-herman-valaam.org]

{Off-topic} What happened to the edit function?

OP Offline
http://www.easterngiftshop.com/Item/FBurialShr

"With the Saints give rest, O Lord, to the soul of Thy servants, where sickness and sorrow are no more, neither sighing, but life everlasting" is printed in the English sample I bought. There is a three-barred cross,a church, Crucifixion icon, and Resurrection icon embroidered on it.

It's 72 X 21 inches so it will cover completely.

Thanks for the picture; it gives me an idea of where to go.

Does the hand cross go in the hand or does it stay on top of the shroud as pictured?

Could some of our esteemed Orthodox clergy help, please?

Bob

Last edited by theophan; 04/11/16 07:46 PM. Reason: additional question
OP Offline
Christ is Risen!!

I conducted the funeral yesterday. The shroud supplier didn't bother to ship the shroud--said the order didn't look that urgent, even though I'd asked for priority mail, 48 hour shipping.

The priest suggested I make one; said that it was done often. So I went to a fabric shop, bought a six-foot long piece of their best linen, and traced all the necessary things on with a fabric marker.

It went over well. Family was well pleased.

Thanks.

Bob

M
M
Too late but....
Nwbstudios.com-burial shroud

Moderated by  Alice, Fr. Deacon Lance, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.