The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#41576 10/13/02 08:48 PM
OP Offline
Dear: Friends;

Slava Isusu Christu!

Hey what do you guys think about monasteryicons.com and the stories about them? My Parish buys from them, but my Fransican Br. doesnt think that its true about what people say.
For thouse that dont know what im talking about here is the link, to an article about the subject.

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/monasteryicons.htm

In The Holy+Theotokos

#41577 10/13/02 10:26 PM
F
F
Dear Friends in Christ,

I believe too that their religious pictures could be spiritually harmful, even demonic in origin. Their history is hippy-hindu sect and I am sorry that they can call themselves Orthodox Christians and hood wink the unwary.

Yours in Christ,
Fr Serafim

Russian Ascetics of 20th Century
http://www.fatherserafim.info
#41578 10/13/02 11:01 PM
OP Offline
Dear: Fr.

Slava Isusu Christu!

what should i do? my parish buys them. But Fr. Blesses them are they ok after the blessing?
My Fransican Br. doesnt think that they are harmful he knows the "ikonographer", and doesnt think that what the article says is true. What could i do?

In The Holy+Theotokos

#41579 10/13/02 11:54 PM
GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST!
GLORY TO HIM FOREVER!

One must remember that they are just paper, ink and wood until they are placed on the Divie Altar and annoited with Holy Chrism and blessed with Holy Water.

Once this is done and a person places an ikon lamp in front of them and starts his/her prayers, then do they become HOLY IKONS worthy of devotion and of hearing our prayers.

the least servant of the servants

mark
biggrin

the ikon writer
#41580 10/14/02 12:20 AM
John
John
Originally posted by Medved:
One must remember that they are just paper, ink and wood until they are placed on the Divie Altar and annoited with Holy Chrism and blessed with Holy Water.
I disagree. Icons are a product of prayer and already holy during the painting process. I remember a friend of mine who was a priest who sent a three-paneled Nativity icon off to some very inexpensive painters in Korea and had them make a very large version for display in front of the church at Christmas. The result was an excellent duplicate but it was not an icon. The painter merely enlarged the copy he had been given. He or she did not imbue the painting with the prayer necessary for it to be an icon. Anyone could see it just by looking at it.

I agree with Fr. Seraphim. I would hope that Daniel lets his pastor know of the history of this group and do the research necessary to substantiate the fact that this group is not healthy. If Daniel's pastor chooses not to listen to the evidence there is not much to be done (except, of course, pray!).

#41581 10/14/02 12:51 AM
OP Offline
Dear: Administrator

Slava Isusu Christu!

Ill mail a copy of the article to my pastor.
even though the Creater of the "icons" are questionable. If the Icon was blessed by the priest, wouldnt that purify the icon so to say,
and be ok for veration?

In The Holy+Theotokos

#41582 10/14/02 03:06 AM
John
John
Originally posted by StBenedictRule:
Ill mail a copy of the article to my pastor.
even though the Creater of the "icons" are questionable. If the Icon was blessed by the priest, wouldnt that purify the icon so to say, and be ok for veration?
Daniel,

Mailing a copy of the catalog is not enough. You either need to meet with him or write him a polite letter expressing your concerns and providing the necessary proofs. I'd look for a legitimate and respected Catholic or Orthodox source to use to support your argument. The website you have has been condemned by most Orthodox and much of the content of it is suspect so I would not recommend using it as an Orthodox source.

Maybe you could do some research on what makes an icon and what does not and include that when you express your concerns.

I'd have to do some research before responding to your other point. My guess is that the blessing of a painting is not enough to turn it into an icon. It would always be mising the element of prayer. Maybe one of the learned theologians could provide a better explanation.

Admin

#41583 10/14/02 03:53 AM
Z
Z
Originally posted by StBenedictRule:
Dear: Friends;

Slava Isusu Christu!

Hey what do you guys think about monasteryicons.com and the stories about them? My Parish buys from them, but my Fransican Br. doesnt think that its true about what people say.
For thouse that dont know what im talking about here is the link, to an article about the subject.

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/monasteryicons.htm

In The Holy+Theotokos
Serge (of OldWorldRus) warned me against them. But I looooove their icons. I think they're beautiful. I am thinking of getting one...I will read the link you supplied and the responses to your post before deciding, but gosh, can anything that beautiful be bad? frown

ZT

#41584 10/14/02 05:22 AM
S
S
Satan disguises himself as an angel of light sometimes.

He who can without strain keep vigil, be long-suffering and pray is manifestly a partaker of the Holy Spirit. But he who feels strain while doing these things, yet willingly endures it, also quickly receives help. - Mark the Monk
#41585 10/14/02 04:10 PM
K
K
I am glad this topic came up. I remember the subject matter from a long while back.

Some years ago, I got a couple "icons" from that group, not realizing what the group was/is about. I am not sure what to do with them. Any prayerful ideas?

Thanks!

Kelly

#41586 10/14/02 04:29 PM
J
J

#41587 10/14/02 04:37 PM
J
J
"From: Daniel
In The Holy+Theotokos"

"In?" Has the blessed Theotokos become divine?

#41588 10/14/02 04:44 PM
novice O.Carm.
novice O.Carm.
Originally posted by Kelly:
I am glad this topic came up. I remember the subject matter from a long while back.

Some years ago, I got a couple "icons" from that group, not realizing what the group was/is about. I am not sure what to do with them. Any prayerful ideas?

Thanks!

Kelly
Kelly,
What I would do, and did, is to have them blessed and then use them as you would any other Icon.

David

#41589 10/14/02 04:51 PM
J
J
Kelly,

I am unaware of any recalls on these icons due to the group producing them. I'm not sure all our parishes would be willing to recall them and reimburse you. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the nuns at Mt. St. Macrina mostly sells these at their gift shop during the Otpust. A number of parishes that learned of their background have simply found other sources for icons. No recalls. No reimbursements. So, it must be OK to use them.

#41590 10/14/02 04:52 PM
It's too bad that there isn't a producer of Icons that have a wider Western Saints section. Many buy the Icon not fully understanding that it must be done in the Traditional way for it to be an Icon.

Abba Isidore the Priest:
When I was younger and remained in my cell I set no limit to prayer; the night was for me as much the time of prayer as the day.
(p. 97, Isidore 4)
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.