The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#415874 07/14/16 10:55 AM
bkovacs Offline OP
OP Offline
Cardinal Sarah and the Liturgy of the West. Luckily Eastern Catholic and Orthodox Christians don't have this problem. Ad Orientum was never an issue in the East. It's simply accepted!. Most from the Western half, thinks it's turning their back on the people. Who cares about God!. Cardinal Sarah is right!.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/new...elebrating-mass-facing-east-this-advent/
http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/new...iests-from-celebrating-mass-ad-orientem/
http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/07/12/vatican-rejects-cardinal-sarahs-ad-orientem-appeal/
http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/issues/july-15th-2016/we-can-have-it-both-ways/

Unfortunately, not all Eastern Catholics hold fast to their heritage and Patristic Tradition. The Syro-Malabar are restoring ad orientem, however YMMV. Maronites seem to have abandoned it altogether. Chaldeans are hit or miss, more miss. Syriac Catholics are maybe, mostly not. Even some Armenian Catholic Churches abandoned, although most retain. So pathetic.

I believe the Syro-Malankara Catholics always worship ad-orientum. Maybe Coptic, Ethiopian and Eritrean Catholics as well. Maronites are at the opposite end. I have never seen ad-orientum from them.

Last edited by Anthony; 07/15/16 10:58 AM.
From videos I have seen the Copts and Ethiopians are still ad orientum.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
G
G
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
From videos I have seen the Copts and Ethiopians are still ad orientum.

The Coptic Catholic parish in Los Angeles, CA used to have liturgy facing the people. It is now ad orientem.

Resurrection Coptic Catholic Church celebrates facing the people as this video shows:

Ethiopian Catholic liturgy facing the people:

M
M
I hate to sound sarcastic, but when you have a Magisterium, institutions galore, etc. is liturgy going to be really that important?

Originally Posted by Michael_Thoma
Unfortunately, not all Eastern Catholics hold fast to their heritage and Patristic Tradition. The Syro-Malabar are restoring ad orientem, however YMMV. Maronites seem to have abandoned it altogether. Chaldeans are hit or miss, more miss. Syriac Catholics are maybe, mostly not. Even some Armenian Catholic Churches abandoned, although most retain. So pathetic.
Not that I'm pushing for what you mentioned, but I feel I ought to play "devil's advocate" and ask, Is it any worse (intrinsically) for e.g. Maronites to have liturgy versus populum than for Latin Catholics to do so?

Originally Posted by Mark R
I hate to sound sarcastic, but when you have a Magisterium, institutions galore, etc. is liturgy going to be really that important?
Not sure what you mean - the Coptic Orthodox, Syriac Orthodox, Armenian Apostolic, etc all have institutions, et al. and generally do care about Liturgy (of course, there are exceptions).

Originally Posted by Peter J
Not that I'm pushing for what you mentioned, but I feel I ought to play "devil's advocate" and ask, Is it any worse (intrinsically) for e.g. Maronites to have liturgy versus populum than for Latin Catholics to do so?
Well, technically, no. However, if the Latin bishops can unashamedly explain away their heritage, Patristic teaching and Liturgy - who am I to object? They are a self-governing Church. However, I share an affinity with the Maronite Syriacs, and out of a sense of spiritual brotherhood feel more attached. In addition, the Maronites (and others) have sister Churches to look toward. Unlike the Latins, there are viable, living Churches that we can see unnecessary and destructive deviation from.

Your first few sentences express my own feelings on the matter pretty well. But not:
Unlike the Latins, there are viable, living Churches that we can see unnecessary and destructive deviation from.
Now, I'm not enamored of the Roman Catholic Church; but if I didn't even see it as a viable living church I'd have to completely change my religious outlook.

Originally Posted by Peter J
Your first few sentences express my own feelings on the matter pretty well. But not:
Unlike the Latins, there are viable, living Churches that we can see unnecessary and destructive deviation from.
Now, I'm not enamored of the Roman Catholic Church; but if I didn't even see it as a viable living church I'd have to completely change my religious outlook.

I've been misunderstood. My statement is not regarding the viability of the Latin Church, rather it has to do with the Latins having no mirror-sister-churches that can be compared with to see deviation. Unlike our Churches, the Latins have no real non-Catholic counterparts - of course, they should simply look to their own rich Patristic Tradition and those of the various Latin Orders and Anglican Ordinariate.

I've been misunderstood. My statement is not regarding the viability of the Latin Church,
Oh I see. (I figured I must have been missing something, but didn't know what.)

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.