The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 425 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#416718 02/13/17 10:21 PM
J
JMD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Dear Friends: I am new here to the Forum and am a Latin Rite Catholic interested in the Eastern Rites of the Church--particularly the Ruthenian and Ukrainian Rites. Part of my interest stems from my devotion to the Servant of God Father Walter Ciszek, S.J. I have been privileged to work on his Cause (this can be the topic for another post) and my research and understanding of his priestly work in the Eastern Rites has spurred my interest. I very much love the Divine Liturgy and would like to learn more about it. Particularly, I was hoping that someone could point me in a direction for following the Eastern Divine Office for Lent--the various liturgical readings, Vespers, etc. Is there the equivalent of a hand missal or breviary for the Eastern Rites? I would like to make this part of my devotions for Lent. Any help for this neophyte would be appreciated. God love you.

A
A
There is what is called the horologion which is similar to a hand missal but it doesn't have the Liturgy. You can purchase one from St. Josaphat Eparchy in Parma from their website for $50.

J
JMD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks very much!

The "online chapel" of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese www.goarch.org [goarch.org] is a good starting place.

Also invest in the book "Great Lent" by Alexander Schmemann. You will want to read it year after year.

J
JMD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Excellent! Thanks very much!

E
E
The Servant of God, Fr. Walter, was my confessor and spiritual father. The text of the Liturgy of St. Basil the Great that I have belonged to, and was used by him. By his holy prayers, O Savior, save us!

J
JMD Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Praise God! Would you mind if I messaged you privately to speak with you about Fr. Walter?

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.