The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (NathanJA), 395 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#416775 02/27/17 02:56 AM
T
TonyM Offline OP
OP Offline
T
What advice can people give to someone from a non-Eastern background who wants to observe the full Lenten fast, but who is surrounded by non-fasting family members?

Is it possible to observe the Fast and function in a highly competitive and intellectually demanding occupation?

John
John
Hi Tony!

The fast is never to be so severe that you cannot do your work. Also, the fasting is not just from food but also from other things that may lead us from the path of our Lenten journey.

Two suggestions:

1. Fast in a way that no one knows you are fasting. You mentioned that you are surrounded by non-fasting family members. If you are not the one who prepares the meals in your house, you can let your intentions be known to that person but then eat what is put before you.

2. Our Lenten journey has three pillars: prayer, fasting and almsgiving. Our attentiveness to each of these three should be relatively even. If we take one of these to extremes at the expense of the other two we should pause and reconsider.

That said, on the specific issue of fasting, be reasonable. Technically a large bag of potato chips for lunch meets the fasting requirements, but it's not healthy for you. In the Latin tradition one generally has two small and one normal meal each day. As best as is possible plan those meals to be healthy (lots of vegetables, enough protein, etc.).

And to others reading this, please remember that if you have specific health issues you are generally released from fasting.

John

T
TonyM Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you.

E
E
In a very similar situation to TonyM. Considering full embrace of Byzantine Catholic practice, using Lenten fast to pray and consider it. More broadly I'm having trouble understanding the weekly observance of Great Lent. Should I be going to DL every Wednesday and Friday?

I am trying out a different fasting and abstinance routine this year. The Maronite Eastern Catholics abstain from food midnight until noon the next day. Water and medicine is allowed. Meals can be taken afterwards except fasting from meat and dairy. There is no fasting or abstaining on Saturdays or Sundays or feast days. This is helping with my morning and night prayers.

https://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/276716/Maronite%20Fasting%20For%20Lent

Last edited by jova; 03/05/17 06:38 AM.
Originally Posted by EugeneThomas
Should I be going to DL every Wednesday and Friday?

To this question and every question posted above:

First and foremost, seek the advise of your Spiritual Father and Confessor.

Regarding DL: It never hurts to attend as frequently as possible. Communion is a different matter; and, I reiterate: Be guided by your Spiritual Father. If you have been attending and Communing at weekday liturgies then , certainly continue during Great Lent if properly prepared.

I think it is needless to mention, when someone asks questions on a forum, it is more than likely they have NO spiritual direction available to them. Sheep are wandering aimlessly sadly.

Originally Posted by jova
I think it is needless to mention, when someone asks questions on a forum, it is more than likely they have NO spiritual direction available to them. Sheep are wandering aimlessly sadly.

Or, perhaps, a tenuous relationship which should be strengthened and deepened.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.