The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#416786 03/02/17 09:44 PM
N
Nelson Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone! I am a Traditional Roman Catholic who is observing the Byzantine Lent this year. So far, it is doing wonders. I love you guys! I had no idea
I was a big spender on food haha. I have a question I could never find the answer online and the local Byzantine Parish won't pick up the phone.

Is consuming tomato soup considering a meal?

I ask because it's pretty much tomato juice, the same way fruits(also foods) get turned into liquid and count as beverages.
The Catholic group is having a community night and they are offering tomato soup, that's why I asked. I hope I'm not being too legalistic about it.

PAX TECVM

Nelson #416787 03/03/17 11:46 AM
John
John
Hi Nelson,

The Fast is not an end to itself but a effort in self-discipline to help us move our attentions from evil thoughts and actions and refocus them on Christ. As such, it extends past the foods we eat and includes even the things we watch on television and the books we read. It stands as part of the three-legged stool of prayer, fasting and almsgiving.

Byzantine Christians typically engage in a qualitative, not a quantitative fast. That means we fast from certain types of food (meat, dairy, wine, and oil). There is no specific limit on the quantities we can eat. The individual is simply encouraged to eat no more than he needs to maintain his health (with a laborer likely needing more than an office worker). The limitation often described as "two small and one regular meal" comes to us from the Latin Church.

That said, I would say that consuming tomato soup is not a meal. it is not one of the foods we typically fast from. Since you asked, I'd suggest that you might be correct in thinking that you are being too legalistic about it. I'd also note that you mentioned that you were gathering with Latins, who seem to be preparing and serving the meal. To a large extent hospitality in eating what is put before you by a host would be very important. Those you are socializing with should not become aware that you are fasting in a different manner than they are.

John

Nelson #416814 03/18/17 04:43 PM
J
J
While I am part Ukrainian, it is too far back in my lineage for me to have any current relatives (grandmas, etc.) to advise me.
I always thought the perogies were a Lenten diet staple but I cannot find a recipe which does not have either eggs or milk in the dough. How do you eat perogies and still not eat dairy? What's up with that? Is there a вавуся on this forum who have a non-dairy recipe? Thanks.

Nelson #416815 03/19/17 07:15 AM
M
M
I found this:

http://www.food.com/recipe/vegan-pierogi-dough-251626

A very long time ago I did make vegan, i.e. great fast, pirohi, but they did not turn out well...not because of the recipe but because of the cook. It is labor intensive for beginners.

BTW, now there are fancier products than mere vegetable oil to substitute for butter or olive oil, but you are pretty much stuck with potato, sauerkraut or mushrooms for filling. You can make wonderful fruit-filled pirohi served cold (I have tried cherry), but you want that during a non-fasting season because it is great topped with heavy whipping cream or some such thing.

Mark R #416818 03/19/17 09:08 PM
J
J
Thanks Mark,
I will give it a try and let you know if mine turn out any better. The cherry sounds great. A friend of mine makes them for Christmas.

Moderated by  Alice, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.