The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Cat, Ziltoid, KathyH, jvf, Brother Seraphim
5396 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (rome1453, Nelson Chase), 49 guests, and 117 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Portable Icon Screen
Deacon Edward Kostraby elevation to Protodeacon
St. Thekla Vigil 2016 - Part Two (Dinine Liturgy)
St. Thekla Vigil 2016 - Part One (Vespers)
Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew receives Jack Figel
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,301
Posts409,456
Members5,396
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#416845 - 04/02/17 01:57 PM Lazarus Saturday  
theophan Offline
theophan  Offline

Hollidaysburg, PA
Christ is in our midst!

Today in the Latin Church we heard the Gospel of the raising of Lazarus. Next Saturday in the Byzantine calendar is termed "Lazarus Saturday." The Good Lord showed directly to those present that He is Lord of life and that those who believe in Him will never die. What always sends chills down my spine is that word of command, "Lazarus, come out!" The promise is that we, too, will one day hear that command. Powerful stuff.

Bob

#416846 - 04/03/17 10:51 AM Re: Lazarus Saturday [Re: theophan]  
Thomas the Seeker Offline
Thomas the Seeker  Offline

PA
Here is a link to an excellent rendition of "Rejoice, O Bethany" accompanied by am exquisite slide show of Iconography:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rju5GyVtfnQ

Last edited by Thomas the Seeker; 04/03/17 10:52 AM. Reason: adjective
#416847 - 04/04/17 07:37 AM Re: Lazarus Saturday [Re: theophan]  
Administrator Offline
John
Administrator  Offline

John

Virginia!
Just listened to it. It's beautiful. The voices are clear - I can understand every word (which is often not the case with chant written for another language and then set in English).

O Holy Lazarus, pray for us!

#416859 - 04/09/17 11:38 PM Re: Lazarus Saturday [Re: theophan]  
Thomas the Seeker Offline
Thomas the Seeker  Offline

PA
This has been a tragic Lazarus/Palm Sunday and our hearts are heavy.

I offer this piggyback to a popular secular Christmas song (later spun into a TV movie) that I wrote a couple of years ago in hopes of restoring some joy to this day:

Laz’rus, the friend of Jesus
Lived in ancient Beth-a-ny
With sisters Mary, Martha
They were a sweet fam-i-ly.

Laz’rus was ill and stricken
And in just two days he died.
O, how his sisters mourned him
And with bitter tears they cried.

Then one foggy Beth’ny day
Jesus came to say
“Laz’rus bound in cloths so tight,
Rise, come out, and see my light!”

Then how his sisters loved Him
And they shouted out with glee
“Jesus, our Resurrection
You’ll go down in history”.

Last edited by Thomas the Seeker; 04/24/17 07:25 AM.
#416977 - 05/05/17 11:31 AM Re: Lazarus Saturday [Re: theophan]  
Fr. Al Offline
Fr. Al  Offline

Farmington Hills,MI
Christ is Risen!

Greetings in the Resurrected Lord! I hope your sorrows may have abated. I love the service of Lazarus Saturday. Sadly, in parish practice, it is often reduced to just the Saturday Liturgy, at which a small number of faithful come to Confession to beat the Palm Sunday "rush". At least, that has been my experience.

The beautiful Canon called for at Complines is thus rarely heard in parishes the Friday evening before. An alternative use might allow for a Presanctifed Liturgy on Friday evening and then Matins with Liturgy Saturday morning.

Alas, even in ROCOR(at least around here), there is often lacking a "staff" of multiple clerics and chanters to make the full cycle of services happen. One happy exception in St. Vladimir's in Dexter(Ann Arbor), MI. Besides two priests and a deacon, they have a group of Subdeacons, Readers, and Chanters. They have a frequent(though not daily) cycle of services. Plus the chanters and choir shift seamlessly from English to Slavonic and the reverse. It is a joy to attend and participate in their services.

Moderated by  Administrator, Father Anthony 

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2017. All rights reserved.