The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 333 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G
http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/201...ation_of_greek_melkite_patriarch/1310456

(Vatican Radio) Pope Francis on Saturday accepted the resignation of the Melkite Greek Patriarch of Antioch, His Beatitude Gregory III Laham, from his pastoral office. A letter from the Holy Father to the Patriarch-emeritus and all the Melkite bishops explains his resignation during the course of a special audience with the Holy Father in February, and that the Holy Father has decided to accept the resignation.
In the letter, Pope Francis thanks the 83 year-old Patriarch-emeritus, "a zealous servant of the People of God, for the generous service to his church and for keeping the international community's attention focused on the tragedy of Syria."
The Holy Father goes on to write, "I invoke upon you all the intercession of the Holy Mother of God and willingly give the Apostolic Blessing to our dear Greco-Melkite Church as a sign of grace and encouragement for the future of communion and witness of The Gospel. "

To His Beatitude Gregory III Laham
Patriarch of Antioch of the Greco-Melkites
and to all the Bishops of this Church
Beatitude and Venerable Brothers in Christ,
In my solicitude for all the Churches, I address myself to you, grateful for your service to the People of God and aware of your responsibility as Pastors.
Since the meeting of the Synod of Bishops last February, His Beatitude, at the hearing I granted him, spontaneously presented me with his renunciation of the patriarchal office, asking me to decide the most favorable moment for accept it. After praying and reflecting attentively, I consider it opportune and necessary for the good of the Greco-Melkite Church to welcome today its renunciation.
In thanking His Beatitude, a zealous servant of the People of God, for the generous service of his Church and for keeping the international community's attention focused on the tragedy of Syria, I invoke upon you all the intercession of The Holy Mother of God and willingly gives the Apostolic Blessing to our dear Greco-Melkite Church as a sign of grace and encouragement for the future of communion and witness of the Gospel.
From the Vatican, May 6, 2017
François

P
P
This sad business ends - but not without a final swipe. Instead of tendering his resignation to the Holy Synod, the patriarch tenders his resignation to the Pope of Rome. Have we so forgotten our own canons and tradition? This something that his predecessors would have refused to do. A sad business ending on an even sadder note.

May the Lord renew us and give us new giants and men of courage like Archbishop Neophytos Edelby, Archbishop Joseph Tawil, and Patriarch Maximos IV.

May the Holy Synod now elect an archhierarch and shepherd who will have the vision to work for the unity of the Church of Antioch and the courage to stand up for the rights and tradition of the Melkite Church in the communion of the Catholic Church. Primus inter pares - yes, Roma über alles - no way.

Last edited by Protopappas76; 05/10/17 08:20 AM.
Whatever ends up being best for the Church, I pray.

How can His Beatitude resign to the Synod if they refuse to meet under him?

P
P
Today the latest turn! The patriarch claims he didn't resign to the Pope of Rome at all, but merely told him that he would be resigning.
Evidently another example of Roman curial hubris.

PS All bishops are equal by consecration (including the Pope of Rome) and the Holy Synod doesn't meet "under" the patriarch, they meet with the patriarch presiding among equals. It is also one of the prime responsibilities of the Holy Synod to hold any patriarch accountable for proper governance.

Originally Posted by Protopappas76
All bishops are equal by consecration (including the Pope of Rome) and the Holy Synod doesn't meet "under" the patriarch, they meet with the patriarch presiding among equals. It is also one of the prime responsibilities of the Holy Synod to hold any patriarch accountable for proper governance.
Meeting "under" one's leadership/presidency/primacy is still "under" to some degree. The details may vary.

P
P
Show me any of the Seven Great Ecumenical Councils that would agree with the concept that " Meeting 'under' one's leadership/presidency/primacy is still "under" to some degree." It cannot be found. The concept of one bishop being "under" another is alien to the Orthodox traditon of the Christian East. Imposing a western monarchical view upon our synodal concept of Church does violence to the Sacred and Holy Tradition of Orthodoxy we claim.

Last edited by Protopappas76; 07/08/17 05:33 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.