The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Hi, I'm a Latin Rite Catholic who currently attends the Traditional Latin Mass. I have been involved with Eastern Orthodoxy in the past and have attended a number of Orthodox liturgies. I like the Byzantine Rite Divine Liturgy, but there is only one Byzantine Rite church in my country (that I know of) and it's at the other end of the country.

What are the main differences between Byzantine Rite Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy? Would you describe yourselves as "Orthodox in union with Rome" ? I know that you obviously believe in papal supremacy, but do Byzantine Rite Catholics have the same mind-set as Orthodox (much more mystical than the West, favour the healing metaphor of atonement over the legal metaphor, etc)? Do you believe in Purgatory, for example, the same way as Latin Rite Catholics, or is your view closer to that of the Orthodox? Would an Orthodox who converted to Byzantine Rite Catholicism need to change much of his thinking?

Also, is the Byzantine Rite Divine Liturgy much different to that of the Orthodox (apart from the parts in the litanies commemorating the Pope)?

John
John
Hi Michael! Welcome to The Byzantine Forum!

Byzantine Catholics are called to be fully Orthodox while keeping communion with Rome. That means our liturgical rituals and theology should be the same, and from the same mindset. The reality, of course, is that we very often fall short.

As to Purgatory, the underlying theology between East and West is the same - that there is a purifying journey of the soul after death and that that prayers for those along this journey are necessary. Unlike the West, however, the East would never consider using the legalistic approach of measuring things (i.e., indulgences).

As to the Byzantine Divine Liturgy, the official books of the various Byzantine Catholic Churches (Ruthenian, Melkite, etc.) are very close to their parallel Orthodox editions. At the local level there is a wide range of how close the actual celebration is to the official text, and to the parallel Orthodox Church. Sadly, celebrations like Vespers and Matins are much neglected in parishes (the Latin Rite custom of a Saturday Evening Divine Liturgy has solidly taken hold).

John

Would an Orthodox who converted to Byzantine Rite Catholicism need to change much of his thinking?

Apart from accepting the papal primacy as defined by the Catholic Church, not much would have to change at all. As Pope St. Pius X said to the nascent Russian Greek Catholic Church,"nec plus, nec minus, nec aliter." (no more, no less, no different).

Last edited by Nelson Chase; 07/15/17 04:28 AM.
In my opinion, the understanding of marriage indissolubility is a bigger change than the idea of papal primacy. Indissolubility is understood (and practiced) quite differently among the Orthodox Churches as compared to the Catholic Church.

Originally Posted by Deacon John Montalvo
In my opinion, the understanding of marriage indissolubility is a bigger change than the idea of papal primacy. Indissolubility is understood (and practiced) quite differently among the Orthodox Churches as compared to the Catholic Church.
Very good point Fr. John. (nice to talk to you again)

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Nelson Chase
Originally Posted by Deacon John Montalvo
Very good point Fr. John. (nice to talk to you again)

Indeed, and not just indissolubility but even the sacramental essence itself. A past thread, instigated by a Latin-trad, despite the in-your-face approach, revealed to me an alarming lack of clarity regarding the compatibility of eastern and western sacramental disciplines in the Catholic Church. I was allowed the last word (link) where I tried to synthesize the points of the discussion and state my concerns, but the entire gory thread would have to be read to appreciate the full disparity of east-west disciplines.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.