The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (NathanJA), 395 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mamo Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello. This is first post here, so I want to say thank you for the possibility of to learn about Oriental Catholicism.

I'm trying to understand if it the big controversies between latins and orientals are really irreducible antinomies or are just a matter of perspective. Two examples:

One: Uncreated energies (from Palamas doctrine) must be considered as a wrong? or just as a perspective which in Roman Catholicism doesn't exist because they use the Saint Thomas categories? This Palamas idea Is an heresy or is an legitime view from the culture background of Orientals Church?

Other: the Filioque is really incompatible with the orthodox position or is other perspective for to rationalizing the mysteries of the faith ? I say that because in the Gospel Jesus says:

The Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name (John 14:26)

This sentence seem be acord to the Orthodox tradition. But I do not see why must be absolutely contrary with the Latin position: "in my name" could be understood as "from me".

So, is really legitime break relationships and become separated churches by those differences? Those differences touches the Truth or just the rational approach to the Truth?

The few readings I read until now (from both sides) are allways addressed to condem the other position and defend the own. But I didn't find a work which try to understand both views and recognize their validity from the point of view of each one culture.

If someone can enlightenment me about that I'll be thankful.

T
T
Konijiwa.

Catholics say they're matters of perspective; non-Catholic Eastern apologists say they're irreducible anomalies.

Byzantine Catholics' calling is not to throw out Byzantine theological methods/styles for Latin ones while only keeping Byzantine externals, nor to attack Catholic teachings like the Orthodox, but to express those teachings all in Orthodox terms. Frankly, most Byzantine Catholics, Slavic ones (the Ukrainian Catholic Church is the biggest Eastern Catholic church), aren't interested in doing that, rather going for Latin thought. Some "converts" (often born Latin Catholics and some actual converts from Protestantism) go too far in the other direction; falling in love with the rite, they mistake it for the whole church, get fed up with Byzantine Catholicism's imperfect ways (it is not the ideal the Catholic Church wants for the rite), and either leave for Orthodoxy (and often retreating to narrower versions of it when it doesn't live up to their expectations) or stay and try to change the church's teachings, which is impossible.

The Catholic Council of Ferrara-Florence clarified that the filioque means the Father proceeds through the Son.

Last edited by The young fogey; 12/09/17 01:38 PM.
Mamo Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you very much. For the moment I'll keep studiyng and triying to be calm about those controversies.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.