The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (griego catolico, Fr. Al), 341 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#417839 12/29/17 09:12 AM
Mamo Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello. I would like to know how to invoke the Holy Trinity in greek. I mean the greek text and its transliteration to latin alphabet.

I know the latin formula: In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti, which sounds very familiar for me. But I want know it in greek. May someone teach me it?

Thanks.

F
Online Content
F
Εν όνομα του Πατρός και του Γιού και του Αγίου Πνεύματος. En onoma Tou Patros Tou Giou Kai Tou Agiou Pnevmatos.

F
Online Content
F
Kai Giou

F
Online Content
F
Sorry, Kai Tou Giou.

Mamo Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Fr. Al
Εν όνομα του Πατρός και του Γιού και του Αγίου Πνεύματος. En onoma Tou Patros Tou Giou Kai Tou Agiou Pnevmatos.

Thank you very much!

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Fr. Al

I've been meaning to ask: Γιού --- Giou? Modern Greek I presume. So the classical rough breathing vocalization, h--- can sometimes become g--- ?

Koine and Byzantine (Medieval) Greek have (of) Son (genitive) as 'Yιού --- huiou , i.e, initial upsilon with rough breathing, not gamma. And 'Αγίου also with rough breathing mark so, transliterated, hagiou.

F
Online Content
F
No, I'm not an expert on Greek but the Γ is not pronounced as a hard "g" in Modern Greek . I did study Modern Greek for a year in Houston back in the 80' s. Likewise, the obligatory New Testament Greek in seminary. The Γ is pronounced to an English "y". I recall that a combination of letters is used in Modern Greek to make the hard "g" sound.

F
Online Content
F
It's γκ, the gk combination, gamma + kata, that makes the hard g.

ajk Offline
I'm still not getting it. A g- h- vocalization is seen, for instance, in the Slavonic Hospodi/Gospodi where the Slavonic has an initial Γ, gamma. And in Koine there is the crasis --- kai ego becomes kaego, epi ho becomes efo --- but here it's kai Yiou, k---Y. Every non-modern Greek liturgical text I've seen has Yiou. Is there a link that shows the Γιού type usages? Thanks.

Mamo Offline OP
OP Offline
Here you can listen the pronunciation (the holy sentence starts from 25 seconds):

Be well.

ajk Offline
Right, nice link and clear pronunciation. I see και του Υιού and hear (phonetic) kee too you. This is what I'd expect for a modern Greek vocalization of a Byzantine (Medieval) Greek liturgical text. So the question is, where is there a written example using και του Γιού, Kai Tou Giou?

BTW the prayer that follows is the well know, often used, Heavenly King, Comforter/Paraclete, Spirit of truth...

F
Online Content
F
The Slavic sound of g morphed into h at some point. Ukrainian,Czech, Slovak, and Belarusian are notable for this, though it occurs in some dialects of other tongues. Thus, the g is preserved in Russian, Polish, and the South Slavic tongues.
Like many Ukrainian and Belarusian speakers, I try to preserve the h sound when switching over to Russian.I noticed even Solzhenitsyn did that! In my case, it's a conscious effort, so I won't risk pronouncing "г" as g in Ukrainian!

ajk Offline
Yes, but what about the Greek?

F
Online Content
F
I thought I already indicated that the modern Greek gamma is pronounced like a g morphing into a y. No doubt you can find a native speaker on YouTube, for example, who could demonstrate. Not a hard g, but not entirely a pure y sound, either.

ajk Offline
But that's not what I hear in the example of the youtube link provided. And is there an example of a written text, as I asked:
Originally Posted by ajk
Right, nice link and clear pronunciation. I see και του Υιού and hear (phonetic) kee too you. This is what I'd expect for a modern Greek vocalization of a Byzantine (Medieval) Greek liturgical text. So the question is, where is there a written example using και του Γιού, Kai Tou Giou?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.