The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
JasonJohn, SmellOfTheSheep, Colana, Mister, NikosLaos
5472 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (rome1453, true faith), 69 guests, and 73 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,478
Posts410,402
Members5,472
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The bane of Eastern Christianity in America [Re: Michele] #417968
02/05/18 06:16 PM
02/05/18 06:16 PM
Central Coast of California
Exegete Offline
Exegete  Offline
It COULD be evening prayer. It would also be a Divine Liturgy.

"You are blessed to have a priest , just saying." <-- a common excuse that's offered in my experience when there is any discussion of a poorly performing parish or pastor.

Re: The bane of Eastern Christianity in America [Re: Michele] #417969
02/05/18 08:33 PM
02/05/18 08:33 PM
Las Vegas
dochawk Offline
dochawk  Offline
Las Vegas
Originally Posted by Michele
Glory to Jesus Christ !
Excuse me for butting in but if you want to have a 10:00 p.m. Sunday evening service wouldn't that be Compline or
Matins ? Don't need a priest for Matins. Why change our beautiful traditions to appease the masses?

RC college students will happily show up for "Mass" late Sunday night.

Asking them to show up for an *extra* service, in addition to going to Mass that morning, is a whole 'nuther story.

I went to the 10 PM Mass for most of my time at Santa Clara. IIRC, there was a Saturday or two, and 4:30, 7:30, and 10:00 P.M. Sunday. [I think they did a couple of parish Masses for St. Claire's across the street for reasons I forgot, as it had its own Sunday mornings, also served by USC Jesuits]. In addition to being later, this was, by design, the quieter, "contemplative" Mass.

Folks would wander down the dorm, banging on doors, collecting people for Mass, and several would generally end up going together.

Then, partway through my time there (Senior Year?), the Music Mafia, err, "musicians", managed to take over--and I ended up going across the street to St. Claire's Sunday morning, with my girlfriend and a couple of my other more orthodox friends, for my remaining time there. [Yes, this was the time when "theologically suspect" was a generous way to describe student Masses and the, uhh, orthodoxy of the campus ministry offices at these schools.]

hawk

Re: The bane of Eastern Christianity in America [Re: The young fogey] #417977
02/06/18 10:48 AM
02/06/18 10:48 AM
U.S.A.
M
Michele Offline
Michele  Offline
M
U.S.A.
Oh, I misunderstood .

Last edited by Michele; 02/06/18 11:38 AM.
Re: The bane of Eastern Christianity in America [Re: dochawk] #417980
02/07/18 12:10 AM
02/07/18 12:10 AM
Exegete Offline
Exegete  Offline
Originally Posted by dochawk
Originally Posted by Michele
Glory to Jesus Christ !
Excuse me for butting in but if you want to have a 10:00 p.m. Sunday evening service wouldn't that be Compline or
Matins ? Don't need a priest for Matins. Why change our beautiful traditions to appease the masses?

RC college students will happily show up for "Mass" late Sunday night.

Asking them to show up for an *extra* service, in addition to going to Mass that morning, is a whole 'nuther story.

I went to the 10 PM Mass for most of my time at Santa Clara. IIRC, there was a Saturday or two, and 4:30, 7:30, and 10:00 P.M. Sunday. [I think they did a couple of parish Masses for St. Claire's across the street for reasons I forgot, as it had its own Sunday mornings, also served by USC Jesuits]. In addition to being later, this was, by design, the quieter, "contemplative" Mass.

Folks would wander down the dorm, banging on doors, collecting people for Mass, and several would generally end up going together.

Then, partway through my time there (Senior Year?), the Music Mafia, err, "musicians", managed to take over--and I ended up going across the street to St. Claire's Sunday morning, with my girlfriend and a couple of my other more orthodox friends, for my remaining time there. [Yes, this was the time when "theologically suspect" was a generous way to describe student Masses and the, uhh, orthodoxy of the campus ministry offices at these schools.]

hawk

Great story, thanks... If I should drive by my EC parish on Sunday evening I wince. Being so close to campus the neighborhood is quite active at night. I think if the parish took the plunge and offered a DL at 9 or 10, followed by a very brief coffee social, that in short order this DL would soon draw more than the main 10:00 AM one. When I go to the Newman Center for Mass, I am struck at how orthodox the students are. I think they would absolutely eat-up the DL -- if someone ever made the effort to expose them to it.

Ain't gonna happen though. Well, that's not true. If we ever received the right pastor, the parish could at least double in size in a year. We had an OUTSTANDING "loaner pastor" for several months a few years ago. He was already making inroads when he was permanently replaced.

Re: The bane of Eastern Christianity in America [Re: Exegete] #417982
02/08/18 01:52 PM
02/08/18 01:52 PM
Hollidaysburg, PA
theophan Offline
theophan  Offline
Hollidaysburg, PA
Exegete:

Glory be to Jesus Christ!!

A number of things you mention stand in your way:

1. Your pastor is closed to anything but providing the Mysteries in the ritual he was trained in. Thus he turned down the Newman Center outreach.
2. He is having a difficult time adjusting to the culture--something he needs help with, but if he is closed, you're sunk.
3. Opening to the college for a quiet study place was inspired, but shot down. Bet your pastor doesn't even care that the Presbyterians are doing it and he's missed the boat.
4. My son's University had the Newman Sunday Liturgy at 10 p.m. and he says it was packed. When he visited and had to go back to school by train it was the one he could make because the train left Sunday morning here at home.
5. People "on fire" soon leave a place where a wet blanket is thrown on every new idea. Ardor soon cools completely and people vote with their feet.
6. Priests with their own agenda--"rad-trad"--are part of the problem. And for anyone who says "you're lucky to have a priest"--sometimes you're not. (We had a control freak in our parish for about nine years and the parish went from one where everyone was encouraged to bring his gift and initiate things--the pastor was usually supportive of almost anything that brought people in--to one where it soon became a filling station and we are in danger.)

The things I've summarized paint a picture of a parish closing in the next decade as the "on fire" people age, give up, or move on, while the rest just watch the ship sink.

BTW, this is not just an Eastern Catholic problem; it's all of us who have pastors who think that "this is my parish and my way."

Bob

Re: The bane of Eastern Christianity in America [Re: theophan] #417994
02/13/18 10:56 PM
02/13/18 10:56 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Deacon John Montalvo Offline
Deacon John Montalvo  Offline
Scottsdale, AZ
Exegete:

Rather than a DL on Sunday evening (which is not part of the tradition, so the pastor may not be comfortable with the notion) maybe you could convince the pastor to celebrate Vespers on Sunday Evenings during the Great Fast which is our tradition.

One of the problems of ministering to college students is just as they began to establish roots in a parish, they leave upon graduation. I’m not saying the Church should not minister to college students, but it does take a special cleric to understand how to meet the spiritual needs of the faithful that are “semi-nomadic”.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.