The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#417985 02/13/18 02:36 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I filed a First Amendment lawsuit against Columbia U. for not letting me give a lecture/lesson on God's existence. It is now pending in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. What follows is a link to the oral argument that took place on January 18, 2018:

https://www.buzzsprout.com/admin/episodes/627197-roemer-v-columbia-u

D
D
As much as I support God, His existence, and the First Amendment, the last time I looked, Columbia was a private university, subject neither to the First Amendment itself nor application through the Fourteenth Amendment.

While I'm at it, the error of the US Supreme Court in finding the establishment clause, rather than only the free exercise clause, to be applicable to the states not only creates a bizarre exception the rules of constructing the 14th, but also did incalculable harm to society and religious freedom throughout the 20th century.

hawk, esq.

John
John
Generally speaking, private organizations should have the freedoms to welcome or deny speech by those who come on to their property.

However, when they sign up to accept taxpayer dollars those taxpayer dollars come with the requirement that they treat different viewpoints equally.

I don't know the details of this situation, so can't really comment other than to say that if Columbia University is accepting taxpayer dollars, and has allowed other similar lectures, then they should allow this one.

D
D
While it's not my area of law, and it's possible that I missed a new opinion, AFAIK federal funding has never been pushed this far. It would allow the central government to get too involved the affairs of institutions.

For example, a court can delve into the sincerity of a person's religious beliefs, but not the truth thereof, or whether a doctrine is heretical to its institution.

If the federal money were highly directed rather than general, or targeted to another area, such standards *could* apply. For example, if the feds funded a lecture series, they could require neutrality or breadth in the series (and probably could not forbid it), but general student aid, or a chemistry lab, won't allow intrusion into political or religious affairs.

There *have* been programs (unconstitutional, IM!HO) broadly denying categories of funding, such as denial of all or parts of highway funds for speed limits or DUI laws, or Title IX (which has been badly abused), but these are far cry from a private right of action under the First Amendment. So far, in fact, that I would expect Rule 11 Sanctions to be more likely than success.

hawk, esq.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.