The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 309 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,398
Posts416,768
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#418105 04/07/18 05:37 PM
C
Costas Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello brethren,

Newbie here.

Dunno if I'm allowed to post links yet. Probably not, if memory serves, but you can find plenty for yourselves by the usual methods. I'd be interested to know what boarders think of this Gk Orthodox monk, who ostensibly has the gift of prophecy.

Me? I'm a skeptic. And after some searching, I discovered I was not alone in adopting that stance.

Guess we'll all know by the end of 2018, when he (allegedly) predicts the destruction of Israel. You doubt it? Me too.

Online Content
Costas:

Christ is in our midst!!

Welcome to the forum.

My opinion is that one ought to take a cautious approach to anything like prophecy. Scripture tells us to test the spirits. So we wait and see. The Church will test this man and will give us an authoritative answer after much prayer and discernment. I can't say how the Orthodox Church would react, but the Catholic Church takes her good old time--compare the Medjugorge (sp?) situation which has taken decades and they are still studying it.

However, that being said, the Holy Spirit has been known to let people know of things yet to come by way of holy men and women. Compare the Optina Fathers who had a glimpse of the 20th century for Russia long in advance. So a healthy skepticism doesn't mean dismissing someone out of hand either.

Bob

C
Costas Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the welcome Bob. And the reply.

Would you agree that if St. Paisios fails the test of Dt. 18:20-22, that would be sufficient grounds for dismissing him as misguided at the very least, if not a false prophet? Your country is bursting at the seams with false prophets who are deceiving millions of Christians, often while enriching themselves. Don't we have a duty to warn them about blindly following these wolves in sheep's clothing?

Online Content
Christ is Risen!!

Are we talking about St. Paisios Velichovsky? Your use of the verb "has" indicates you are referring to a man who is alive. St. Paisios is gone to his reward and has been canonized many years ago, as far as I know.

Who are you referring to? Someone still on this mortal plane or someone who has long since gone on to bigger and better things?

Bob

S
S
Saint Paisios the Athonite is the recently canonized elder who reposed in the 90's. A number of prophecies have been attributed to him. A particularly popular one in some circles is the one predicting the destruction of Turkey in a war with Russia, with Constantinople being given back to Greece. I think it's highly questionable that St Paisios actually uttered these prophecies. Of course all decent people hope for the end of the racist and inhuman occupation of Palestine but I doubt it will happen this year or the next.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.