The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
InquiringByzantine, candle_salesman, Joanne, Dragonslayer, Costas
5498 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (ast82401, Collin Nunis, 1 invisible), 35 guests, and 105 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,517
Posts410,558
Members5,498
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Syrian Patriarchs Statement #418122
04/15/18 07:16 PM
04/15/18 07:16 PM
USA
Alice Offline OP
Alice  Offline OP
USA
We, the Patriarchs: John X, Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch and all the East, Ignatius Aphrem II, Syrian Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch and all the East, and Joseph Absi, Melkite-Greek Catholic Patriarch of Antioch, Alexandria, and Jerusalem, condemn and denounce the brutal aggression that took place this morning against our precious country Syria by the USA, France and the UK, under the allegations that the Syrian government has used chemical weapons. We raise our voices to affirm the following:

• This brutal aggression is a clear violation of the international laws and the UN Charter, because it is an unjustified assault on a sovereign country, member of the UN.
    It causes us great pain that this assault comes from powerful countries to which Syria did not cause any harm in any way.
    The allegations of the USA and other countries that the Syrian army is using chemical weapons and that Syria is a country that owns and uses this kind of weapon, is a claim that is unjustified and unsupported by sufficient and clear evidence.
    The timing of this unjustified aggression against Syria, when the independent International Commission for Inquiry was about to start its work in Syria, undermines of the work of this commission.
    This brutal aggression destroys the chances for a peaceful political solution and leads to escalation and more complications.
    This unjust aggression encourages the terrorist organizations and gives them momentum to continue in their terrorism.
    We call upon the Security Council of the United Nations to play its natural role in bringing peace rather than contribute to escalation of wars.
    We call upon all churches in the countries that participated in the aggression, to fulfill their Christian duties, according to the teachings of the Gospel, and condemn this aggression and to call their governments to commit to the protection of international peace.
    We salute the courage, heroism and sacrifices of the Syrian Arab Army which courageously protects Syria and provide security for its people. We pray for the souls of the martyrs and the recovery of the wounded. We are confident that the army will not bow before the external or internal terrorist aggressions; they will continue to fight courageously against terrorism until every inch of the Syrian land is cleansed from terrorism. We, likewise, commend the brave stand of countries which are friendly to the Syria and its people.

We offer our prayers for the safety, victory, and deliverance of Syria from all kinds of wars and terrorism. We also pray for peace in Syria and throughout the world, and call for strengthening the efforts of the national reconciliation for the sake of protecting the country and preserving the dignity of all Syrians.

Re: Syrian Patriarchs Statement [Re: Alice] #418123
04/15/18 08:00 PM
04/15/18 08:00 PM
PA
Thomas the Seeker Offline
Thomas the Seeker  Offline
PA
Ya Raab ur'ham.

Re: Syrian Patriarchs Statement [Re: Alice] #418132
04/17/18 11:19 PM
04/17/18 11:19 PM
State of Washington
P
Protopappas76 Offline
Protopappas76  Offline
P
State of Washington
I share with allof you the following message I sent my own Melkite patriarch, His Holiness JOSEPH.

HB JOSEPH

Patriarch of Antioch and All the East,
of Alxandria and Jerusalem

Christ is Risen! Master, your blessing.

Your Holiness

As a Melkite Greek-Catholic priest who is the retired dean of Eastern Catholic military chaplains in American and Canadian Forces, as well as chairman of the Committee for Eastern Catholics in the Military Services of the United States and Canada, I respectfully, but strongly, take exception to the recent statement of the patriarchs resident in Syria that condemned the actions of the United States and her allies in our careful and precise attacks on the illegal chemical weapons facilities of tbe Assad regime. For 26 years I have personally witnessed the horrifying tragedy and results of war as a military chaplain. I have also seen military members heroicaly put themselves at serious risk rather than harm the innocent, and I have often knelt beside their bloodied or lifeless bodies and attempted to console their widows. War is horrifying and often indiscriminate, but we do the best we can to protect the innocent even when it means placing ourselves in even more jeopardy - which is probably why I find the patriarchal statement so horrendous and offensive,

Syria is a signatory to the conventions banning the manufacture and use of Chemical weapons. I know for a fact, and from unimpeachable sources with access to the highest levels of military intelligece, that the Assad regime is guilty of everything that they have been accused of regarding chemical weapons.

I can only imagine the difficult situation that you are in and I pray daily for you and for the long suffering people of Syria and the Middle East. However, to describe the precision attacks on these illegal weapons facilities as “brutal aggression” is both mistaken and appalling. This one-sided patriarchal condemnation of the allies could easily be seen as akin to if the bishops of had Germany defended Hitler’s gas chambers.

The patriarchal statement is easily seen as merely giving support to a corrupt dictatorial regime and a “too easy” one-sided condemnation of those who are standing up against Assad’s illegal and immoral actions. In issuing their one sided condemnation, the patriarchs have seriously compromised their own moral authority and createdan ethical and moral dilemna for those American Eastern Catholics who serve in the armed forces of our nation and who through the years, have repeatedly sent money to help alleviate the sufferings of the Syrian people. When you speak we hope to hear the universal apostolic voice of our “Shepherd of Shepherds” serving the whole international communion of the Melkite Church and not a voice justifying the immoral actions of a corrupt dictatorial regime.

I continue to pray for peace and justice in Syria, in Palestine and throughout the Middle East.

Moderated by  Father Anthony 

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.