The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Oviprgcat, SebastiĆ£o, NJC89, AsOnDryLand, Joe R
5596 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 71 guests, and 423 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,716
Posts411,793
Members5,596
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The Bane of Eastern Christianity in America [Re: ajk] #419226
05/19/19 02:08 PM
05/19/19 02:08 PM
Virginia USA
I
Irish_Ruthenian Offline
Irish_Ruthenian  Offline
I

Virginia USA
Irish Ruthenian: "There are a few hardy souls trying to be Orthodox,"

AJK "But this is a perfect example of "they have NO IDEA who they are." We are Byzantine-Ruthenian Catholics not Orthodox."

My spiritual father would highly disagree with you.

History also would highly disagree with you.

When I read the Canons of Brest, I see Rome telling the Orthodox that they can stay Orthodox.

Ruthenianism in America is a Latinized cross-breed. Which is why, I think, that Pope Francis has stated that Uniatism is outdated and needs to be scrapped.

It didn't work.

Last edited by Irish_Ruthenian; 05/19/19 02:09 PM.
Re: The Bane of Eastern Christianity in America [Re: zaradeptus] #419229
05/19/19 06:48 PM
05/19/19 06:48 PM
Hollidaysburg, PA
theophan Offline
theophan  Offline

Hollidaysburg, PA
zaradeptus:

Christ is Risen!!

Welcome to the forum. Sorry fothe two month delay in welcoming you.

Bob

Re: The Bane of Eastern Christianity in America [Re: Irish_Ruthenian] #419241
05/21/19 06:54 PM
05/21/19 06:54 PM
MD
ajk Offline
ajk  Offline

MD
For a fuller context see the source post here.

Originally Posted by Irish_Ruthenian
Irish Ruthenian: "There are a few hardy souls trying to be Orthodox,"

AJK "But this is a perfect example of "they have NO IDEA who they are." We are Byzantine-Ruthenian Catholics not Orthodox."

My spiritual father would highly disagree with you.
You and your spiritual father (if he's not Orthodox) should go to your typical Orthodox church, explain this to the priest, and ask him if he will give you Communion.

History also would highly disagree with you.
Can you be more specific?

When I read the Canons of Brest, I see Rome telling the Orthodox that they can stay Orthodox.
Then there need not have been a union.

Ruthenianism in America is a Latinized cross-breed.
It was but that was its via from which it is emerging with successes and failures. I choose to honor the the path of our ancestors, a path that I did not walk and that I do not despise, while confident that it needed to change course, and confident that their faith was genuine. Actually, as I have written here before (as I recall) Latinization stood out in need of correction and that may be a happy fault. What should define "Ruthenianism" if not, at the core, our liturgical expression. We have a Recension and don't follow it in such a way that we embrace it as proclaiming our proper and historical uniqueness. In embracing Orthodoxy, Ruthenians who followed Toth are now and were made to become Russified. Johnstown has fared better under Constantinople but, as I observed and predict, they will become more and more Hellenized. So we, the BCC, are the co-heirs and custodians of a unique liturgical Recension and we squander it piecemeal as exemplified in the 2007 liturgical revisions.

Which is why, I think, that Pope Francis has stated that Uniatism is outdated and needs to be scrapped.

It didn't work.
Well, we're still here, and the Ukrainians and the Melkites and... Uniatism is the present bogyman that is not ecclesiastically correct. It's an historical transient while the real substance is Communion: the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church, the ONE Body of Christ.

What exactly was it that Pope Francis stated?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.