The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
sidelight, MariaMaterMea, george1, RyanOwens, Ptaszek
5543 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Collin Nunis), 55 guests, and 358 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,581
Posts410,943
Members5,543
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New Pastor for Saint Anne Byzantine in San Luis Obispo, CA #418224
05/07/18 10:46 PM
05/07/18 10:46 PM
The Wild West
Exegete Offline OP
Exegete  Offline OP
The Wild West
Bishop John S. Pazak of the Eparchy of Phoenix, has announced the appointment of the Reverend Father Michael Bezruchka as the new pastor of our beloved Saint Anne Byzantine Catholic Church in San Luis Obispo, CA. His appointment is effective June 1, 2018. An early welcome to Saint Anne's and to San Luis Obispo, Father Michael! "Many years!"

Re: New Pastor for Saint Anne Byzantine in San Luis Obispo, CA [Re: Exegete] #418227
05/08/18 09:56 AM
05/08/18 09:56 AM
Portland USA
rome1453 Offline
rome1453  Offline
Portland USA
Fr Michael is a very good priest. They will be blessed to have him.

Re: New Pastor for Saint Anne Byzantine in San Luis Obispo, CA [Re: rome1453] #418231
05/08/18 06:51 PM
05/08/18 06:51 PM
The Wild West
Exegete Offline OP
Exegete  Offline OP
The Wild West
Fr. Michael conducted a seminar (as a seminarian) several years ago at Saint Anne's for readers, and he did a very good job. Some difficult people were upset that he pointed out that female readers are acceptable in the Ruthenian Church (presuming they are competent), but he was quite correct and kind in his comments.

Saint Anne's has a great deal of potential as a parish -- particularly with outreach to college students. I pray that Fr. Michael is able to help the parish realize this potential.

Re: New Pastor for Saint Anne Byzantine in San Luis Obispo, CA [Re: Exegete] #418234
05/10/18 05:40 AM
05/10/18 05:40 AM
Erie PA
L
lcanthony Offline
lcanthony  Offline
L
Erie PA
Find us one, please. Joined ACROD. New young energetic priest, Father Nick Mihaly. Hopefully the future of eastern clergy. Also a new father, too. Welcome to Erie.

Re: New Pastor for Saint Anne Byzantine in San Luis Obispo, CA [Re: Exegete] #418235
05/10/18 05:41 AM
05/10/18 05:41 AM
Private
T
The young fogey Offline
The young fogey  Offline
T
Private
Originally Posted by Exegete
Some difficult people were upset that he pointed out that female readers are acceptable in the Ruthenian Church (presuming they are competent), but he was quite correct and kind in his comments.

I came to Catholicism from Anglicanism so this Novus Ordoism trying to soft-sell the attempted ordination of women is a jab but there are worse things and choose your battles. (Liberal Canada has Ukrainian Catholic parishes with altar girls and lady Eucharistic ministers.) The point of course is the lesson, not how it's read. Ideally a parish has a deacon, subdeacon, and a few men as ordained readers, but the Byzantine Rite Catholic parish I go to is still reviving the use of incense and chant; baby steps. And I don't mind the lay readers of either sex much if they do it right, standing in the nave facing the altar, very liturgical. The parish I go to is slowly weaning the congregation off the Novus Ordoism of the lectern facing the congregation.

Re: New Pastor for Saint Anne Byzantine in San Luis Obispo, CA [Re: The young fogey] #418239
05/11/18 06:41 PM
05/11/18 06:41 PM
The Wild West
Exegete Offline OP
Exegete  Offline OP
The Wild West
Originally Posted by The young fogey
[quote=Exegete]...The point of course is the lesson, not how it's read. Ideally a parish has a deacon, subdeacon, and a few men as ordained readers...

Actually, no, that's not true. How well the lesson is read is also of vital importance. In the example I mentioned, a young lady did a superb job of chanting the lesson. She was congratulated by Fr. Michael and the great majority in attendance. There were however a small number of problem people that got upset -- not because she actually read at a Divine Liturgy, but that she was allowed to read during the seminar. This type of problem people are a pox on far too many parishes.

The sad thing in this case is that in place of this young lay potentially reading at a DL, we often have rather poor (male) readers. That's simply just wrong. You note an "ideal" that I'm not sure exists? If there are both competent male and female lay readers available to read for a given DL, I'm not at all sure the male enjoys any sort of any official preference?

Finally, is the Ruthenian Church ordaining men to the subdiaconate and as readers these days?

Re: New Pastor for Saint Anne Byzantine in San Luis Obispo, CA [Re: Exegete] #418240
05/12/18 05:32 PM
05/12/18 05:32 PM
Fairfax, VA, USA
JLF Offline
JLF  Offline
Fairfax, VA, USA
To answer your last question, yes, there are three ordained readers in the Eparchy of Passaic, and I'm one of them.

Jack Figel

Re: New Pastor for Saint Anne Byzantine in San Luis Obispo, CA [Re: Exegete] #418245
05/13/18 05:34 PM
05/13/18 05:34 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Deacon John Montalvo Offline
Deacon John Montalvo  Offline
Scottsdale, AZ
There is an ordained Subdeacon in the Eparchy of Phoenix, who is not looking to become a deacon.

Re: New Pastor for Saint Anne Byzantine in San Luis Obispo, CA [Re: JLF] #418251
05/14/18 07:51 PM
05/14/18 07:51 PM
The Wild West
Exegete Offline OP
Exegete  Offline OP
The Wild West
Originally Posted by JLF
To answer your last question, yes, there are three ordained readers in the Eparchy of Passaic, and I'm one of them.

Jack Figel

Thank you, that's really fascinating to me... I guess Phoenix is just trailing a bit. Perhaps one day...

Re: New Pastor for Saint Anne Byzantine in San Luis Obispo, CA [Re: lcanthony] #418252
05/14/18 08:06 PM
05/14/18 08:06 PM
The Wild West
Exegete Offline OP
Exegete  Offline OP
The Wild West
Originally Posted by lcanthony
Find us one, please. Joined ACROD. New young energetic priest, Father Nick Mihaly. Hopefully the future of eastern clergy. Also a new father, too. Welcome to Erie.

I don't know much about Erie, PA, but San Luis Obispo, CA is ripe for an Eastern Catholic explosion. I think Saint Anne's could easily double or triple in size if it actually reached out to the community in which it is located. I think Fr. Michael might be just the man to lead the charge.

The fact that he's a celibate priest will work in his favor I believe here locally. He'll be able to more easily coordinate with local Latin Rite priests. It really is amazing just how much brighter things look today with Fr. Michael on his way to CA.

One thing is for certain. He's never enjoyed a more temperate summer in his life, than the one he will be enjoying this summer!

Moderated by  Father Anthony 

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.