The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (seven_mansions), 409 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
OP Offline
N
Glory to Jesus Christ and hello to all!

I am new in the forum, and a [prospective] seminarian, hopefully starting fall 2019 for the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh. Please pray for me!

On to the subject matter. I was a Slavic Studies major at the University of Pittsburgh, concentrating in language--for me, it was (1) Russian, (2) Slovak, and (3) Old Church Slavonic (the oldest written form--we mostly read Codex Zographensis, but a little other stuff). I get the impression that it has been awhile since the Eparchy has had a slavicist seminarian, so my hope is that my knowledge and love of language will be of great value to our Church.

I have a lot more learning to do before I can consider my reading knowledge of OCS anywhere near fluid and complete--at best, I can easily read through the Synoptic Gospels without much difficulty and usually with a little help from Russian-translated scripture. One of my projects right now is to improve that reading knowledge, and I am searching for texts--particularly the texts of the Ruthenien Recension. I know they are available in print from ECPubs, but they are a tad pricey, to say the least. I've yet to come across any OCS we Rutheniens use (or used, I should say) which is even written in Cyrillic, let alone easily obtainable, or in a digital format. There is plenty of Russian Slavonic text available, which I am grateful for. I would find it particularly helpful to work on translating service books and the services themselves, as the vocabulary differs from other writings (hence, I post here). If anyone has any digital or other resources they could forward along, I would be very grateful!

Nate

ajk Offline

Glory forever.

Nate,

Prayers for your continued discernment, and welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure of the source (of the scan) but a 1952 version of our Ruthenian Služebnik is available as a pdf. Here is the link:

Sluzebnik 1952 [archive.org]

Also Rome's Greek Liturgicon may be of interest:

Liturgikon [archive.org]

Dcn. Anthony

F
F
Glory Forever!
I wish you success in your studies. I attempted to PM you, but couldn't. I am here in Black Lick, PA about 40 miles west of Pittsburgh. I serve St. John the Baptist OCA parish. It is Archbishop Job's old church.
You must be busy with studies, but are you aware of the group in the Pittsburgh area that meets once a month to speak Czech and Slovak? I'm considering looking into it, because I have no one with which to practice my Slovak. Nobody in my flock speaks either Slovak or "po-nashomu". I get to speak Ukrainian when I visit the elderly wife of a priest in a nursing home.
For my part, I'm looking for materials in Hungarian. I've studied the language off and on about 25 years. I had hoped to chant the Paschal Troparion in Hungarian for our celebration, but didn't succeed. I did add Romanian and Ukrainian to the chanter's English, Slavonic, Greek, and Arabic.
Fr. Andrei

N
OP Offline
N
Fr. Andrei,

I have not heard about the group, though it would be very helpful since I'll be spending a year in Prešov soon. Do you have any information about them?

There is a family in the area from Bratislava who speak po-nashomu. They're all very talented singers and serve as cantors in various Byzantine Catholic churches around here, I believe.

Nate

F
F
Slava Isusu Christu!
I am a bit technologically challenged , being an old timer, but you can Google the Czech and Slovak meetup group in Pittsburgh. I have not yet attended any meetings, but I hope to make it to the get together this coming Wednesday evening. Perhaps you could make it as well.
Fr. Andrei

J
JLF Offline
J
Nate, what's you direct personal email address so I can write to you directly? Since you are still new to this forum, your private message limit has been exceeded and so I can't contact you through that method.

Jack Figel, Publisher
Eastern Christian Publications

John
John
Note: I set Nate's account to full membership in case anyone wants to PM him.

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.