The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Xpistopheros, jjostm, sidelight, MariaMaterMea, george1
5545 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Fr. Al, Deacon El, JimG, 1 invisible), 63 guests, and 292 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,584
Posts410,962
Members5,545
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Breathing With Both Lungs [Re: Irish_Ruthenian] #418373
06/30/18 10:07 AM
06/30/18 10:07 AM
MD
ajk Offline
ajk  Offline
MD
Originally Posted by Irish_Ruthenian
Do you understand that Eastern Catholics are supposed to be "Orthodox in Communion with Rome,"
Originally Posted by ajk
I do not as used here.
What do you mean "as used here?"
With your understanding as you have amply demonstrated here in your diatribe. In my opinion. based on your response, it set you on the wrong course. There is an approach that I have observed -- in the BBC especially -- that would have it that we demonstrate how Eastern, or even Orthodox, we are by disparaging the West. I believe in a different path, for instance:

Originally Posted by ajk

Several years ago I had occasion to prepare talks on the general topic of dogma. One of the first slides of my talk asked:

A Failure of our Church ?

To effectively articulate why, as eastern, orthodox Christians we are, and why one should be Catholic – we, who are living (though perhaps rather imperfectly) the desired unity.

And as I have posted elsewhere on this forum:

I do think that in general an adequate Eastern Catholic articulation of the Catholic faith, which I profess to be orthodox, is lacking.
link
A Failure of our Church ? link 1 , also A Failure of our Church ? link 2

...and if we are, then we hold to those distinctives of Orthodox theology, soteriology, eclessiology, etc.
Originally Posted by ajk
Yes but Eastern, not necessarily Orthodox but very often also Orthodox.
This is waffling, if I am correctly understanding what you are saying.
There is a large area of agreement but not total. If all that is required is an Eastern articulation of theology one can dispense with the West and even more so if not in communion with the West. So the presentation that results is one sided: Here is the worst of plodding Western, Catholic theological opinion and here the purity and eloquence of the Orthodox faith -- now choose. As you put it.:

Either we are Orthodox, as were the first to enter into the Unia and the Union of Brest, or we are not ... Pick a side and go there. [/b]
So you're not a two lung guy; that they all may be one then, choose "a side" of the Body of Christ, the one with the lung. I say again:

Originally Posted by ajk
The excessive Vostochnik who looks deep enough in the mirror should see the eastern-image version of that rightly criticized " Roman Catholics of the more conservative bent." Neither Eastern nor Western triumphalism is the Way.
Keep looking in that mirror.

Re: Breathing With Both Lungs [Re: Gueranger] #418374
06/30/18 10:18 AM
06/30/18 10:18 AM
MD
ajk Offline
ajk  Offline
MD
Originally Posted by Gueranger
AJK, thank you for your reply. It is reassuring for me. Were you raised Byzantine Catholic?
I'm Eastern Catholic "Ruthenian" (but from the other side of the Carpathian mountains by birth and law), grew up in the Latin church but with Eastern exposure.

Re: Breathing With Both Lungs [Re: Gueranger] #418538
09/06/18 09:16 PM
09/06/18 09:16 PM
Charlottetown, PE, Canada
RyanOwens Offline
RyanOwens  Offline
Charlottetown, PE, Canada
Having read this article now, I have some pretty significant issues with other aspects of it as well as the quote you've highlighted in the OP. To whit:

The fundamentals of this spirituality are absolutely beautiful, but it’s a beauty can’t be found by living merely on–or for–the bells and the incense and the blessed grapes and all the other relatively trivial stuff.

I am very certain that for someone like, say, Saint John Chrysostom who dedicated tremendous time and effort to codifying the Divine Liturgy, those blessings, bells, incense, vestments etc. are pretty bloody important. To claim that the "external" is somehow trivial is to say that Sacraments are, deep down, trivial. It is to say that wedding bands are trivial. It is to say that Icons are trivial. They are not trivial since their external signs reveal to our sinful eyes the great reality which they contain themselves--realities which we, in our weakness, could never grasp. These are extremely useful helpmates in our path to theosis, not mere ornamentation, decoration and triviality.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.