The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (Mark1980), 166 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Anna Offline OP
OP Offline
Please pray for this Priest from the Eparchy of Parma.

BYZANTINE CATHOLIC PRIEST ATTACKED!
(From the Parma Chancery)
PRAYER REQUEST:
Fr. Basil Hutsko was attacked and knocked unconscious this morning in the altar servers sacristy at his parish in Merrillville, Indiana after celebrating Liturgy. The attacker choked him and slammed his head to the ground. Fr. Basil lost consciousness. Before going unconscious Fr. Basil heard the attacker say, "This is for all the kids!" (reference to the clergy sex abuse coverage in the media.)
All clergy are now targets and need to be vigilant. However it must also be clear that Fr. Hutsko was a random target. He is NOT guilty of any sex abuse.
Fr. Hutsko is being examined in the hospital at this time.

John
John
Prayers!

Prayers for Father's full recovery.

G
G

Praying for the recovery of Fr. Basil and the change of heart for the attacker.

I just saw this somewhere (Daily Mail UK, I think)--and was shocked. How terrible. Lord have mercy!

I'm so sorry to see this happened. I didn't see it on the news, only here. Prayers for a complete and quick recovery.

B
B
I was discussing this with our associate pastor on Sunday. He said he's apprehensive about going out dressed as a priest. Prayers for all of them.

Christ is in our midst!!

Many years ago I knew a priest who grew up in Milan, Italy. He said that anti-clericalism was so bad there that when he went home to visit his mother he never wore clericals because it made a man a target. He told me of an incident he witnessed while walking down the street with his mother.

A priest was walking down the opposite side wearing a cassock when a man walking in front of my priest ran across the street, knocked the priest in the cassock down and kicked him repeatedly, all the while shouting, "You b****ards" hung my great grandfather for not paying his taxes."

We may be entering an anti-clerical period when our clergy need to blend into the crowd rather than be prophetic in their appearance--sad turn of events, but not unprecedented. Remember the persecutions of earlier ages.

looks like the Eparchy thinks this entire episode was a hoax. The priest is now suspended, due to what the Eparchy calls "credible" allegations of abuse of a minor which may have occurred between 1979 and 1983:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deacon...t-never-happened-priest-placed-on-leave/

Whatever this is, I am so sick of these cover ups, whether its a priest, the bishops, the Eparchy, even the Vatican and the Pope. Enough already. You people of the cloth are called to a higher standard, stop debasing and demeaning yourselves, then hiding and digging a deeper hole. I'm disgusted with the whole lot.

Last edited by Michael_Thoma; 10/24/18 11:22 PM.
J
jjp Offline
J
What in the world.

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.