The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Irenaeus23, Al Masihi, Seavila777, MZbor, Lisa Korovainytsia
5563 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 72 guests, and 231 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,609
Posts411,057
Members5,563
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Alex Roman and the Immaculate Conception #418669
12/06/18 07:25 AM
12/06/18 07:25 AM
VA
F
Fr_Kimel Offline OP
Fr_Kimel  Offline OP
F

VA
I'd like to bring to everybody's attention that I have republished on my blog a piece on the Immaculate Conception of the Theotokos written by Dr Roman back in 2004. Read and be edified.

The Immaculate Conception of the Mother of God in Both East and West

Re: Alex Roman and the Immaculate Conception [Re: Fr_Kimel] #418672
12/06/18 12:57 PM
12/06/18 12:57 PM
Virginia USA
I
Irish_Ruthenian Offline
Irish_Ruthenian  Offline
I

Virginia USA
There is a great deal more to this idea of Original Sin than the author mentioned in this otherwise excellent article. It is not a far step at all from all human beings are guilty of the sin of Adam to all human beings are totally depraved, worthless, piles of dung (Luther's admonition) and thus of no value to God unless they submit to Christ. Original Sin as proposed by the West makes us enemies of God instead of His children who are sick and need to be healed.

From that point (being enemies of God) then the idea of the rightness of a fiery, eternal hell of torment is the next step, both logical and just. Who does not deal in the most severe manner possible with his enemies, and God is no exception. Perhaps the epistemological end of this thinking is Dante's ridiculous pictures of hell. There is no doubt that if we are "totally depraved" and therefore nothing more than God's enemies and rebels in our unredeemed ontology, then the picture Dante provided is utterly righteous of God to bring down upon His enemies.

From there, the next logical impasse is getting the unborn dead (as in aborted babies) or unbaptized into heaven. Thus the fatuous doctrine of Limbo becomes a necessity.

And it gets worse and worse. If Augustine's musings on the soul and the effect of Original Sin are correct, then inasmuch as all the unredeemed are the "enemies of God," then they should be treated as enemies. Thus you have the Puritans rejoiced over the murder of 600 Native American women and children because they are wretched sinners who richly deserve hell. What a fine Christian way to treat other human beings!! In like manner, when the Dutch Calvinists landed in South Africa, they found a nation filled with pagan idol worshipers, and within the context of their Augustinian-based anthropology, these too were enemies of God (instead of children of God) and were to be treated as such (i.e. enslaved and made second-class citizens) rather than to be treated with the dignity they deserved as children of God, evangelized and taken out of their errors.

Bad doctrine leads to bad religion.

One other thing that the author did not mention. If the Theotokos was conceived immaculately, then Her flesh, from which Christ receives His salvific and sacrificial Flesh, is not the same as ours. In other words, She is not of the same type as we are, and thus Christ, who receives His Flesh from Her, is not in toto one of us, thus creating havoc with the doctrine of salvation by the adoption of our similar nature and the healing of it by His complete obedience.

Bad doctrine leads to bad theology.

Re: Alex Roman and the Immaculate Conception [Re: Fr_Kimel] #418673
12/06/18 05:19 PM
12/06/18 05:19 PM
Virginia!
Administrator Offline

John
Administrator  Offline

John

Virginia!
Irish Ruthenian:

Being "guilty of the sin of Adam" means that we inherit the effects of Adam's sin.

Keep in mind that the word "guilt" as used by the Latins carries with it a meaning that it does not carry in English.

Joe commits theft, is caught, tried, and sent to jail. Joe alone is guilty of his sin. But, because Joe is in prison and cannot work, his wife and children are destitute and also suffer from his crime. The term "guilt" is used to describe both Joe's "guilt" in having committed the crime" as well as the families "guilt" (suffering) that his family inherits from his crime. The "guilt of sin of Adam" that his wife and children inherit is suffering (his crime affects many).

The total depravity stuff is from John Calvin. You can find some in the Church who seem to be stepping that way, but that teaching is condemned by the Church.

--------

I remember this article from when Dr. Roman originally posted it. It's mostly an attempt to lay some ground for what the East and West hold in common regarding the conceptional status of Mary, the Mother of God. That alone is useful. Overall, it is very good. Dr. Roman does not really get into it in this article, but the major differences is the starting point - what is the inheritance from the sin of Adam and how is the Virgin Mary affected or preserved from this inheritance? The East and West both acknowledge that our inheritance from Adam and Eve is both death and the tendency towards sin. The East seems to place more emphasis on our inheritance of death, and how that affects man. The West seems to place more emphasis on the inherited tendency towards sin, and how that affects man.

What needs to happen, I think, is that someone in the East needs to do the theology to specifically address the West's definition of the Immaculate Conception in light of the West's understanding of the inheritance from Adam to see if the same journey can be taken from the East's understanding of that inheritance.

John

Re: Alex Roman and the Immaculate Conception [Re: Administrator] #418674
12/07/18 11:48 PM
12/07/18 11:48 PM
Canada
Orthodox Catholic Offline
Orthodox Catholic  Offline

Canada
Dear Friends,

Glory be to Jesus Christ!

I too remember that article i wrote! smile I have grown in my theological understanding of the Christian East since and I would say a number of things differently today. It was an incomplete article to be sure. Perhaps one way to establish a bridge between East and West on this matter is for both sides to simply agree that the Mother of God was conceived in holiness. The issue revolves more around how East and West sees Original Sin, as the Administrator correctly (as always) affirms. I'm sure both sides could work out a mutually acceptable formula that would be mutually agreeable. smile . I wish you all every blessing from on High!

Your sinful servant,

Alex

Re: Alex Roman and the Immaculate Conception [Re: Irish_Ruthenian] #418680
Yesterday at 11:39 AM
Yesterday at 11:39 AM
MD
ajk Offline
ajk  Offline

MD
Originally Posted by Irish_Ruthenian
It is not a far step at all from all human beings are guilty of the sin of Adam to all human beings are totally depraved, worthless, piles of dung (Luther's admonition) and thus of no value to God unless they submit to Christ.
That's a step not taken by orthodox -- Catholic and Orthodox -- doctrine.

Original Sin as proposed by the West makes us enemies of God instead of His children who are sick and need to be healed.
We incurred death (Gen 2:17; 3:19) and were banished from Eden (Gen 3:2) -- harsh treatment for "His children who are sick and need to be healed." As for being enemies, St. Paul is a reality check:

Romans 5:10 for if, being enemies (ἐχθροὶ), we have been reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved in His life.

From that point (being enemies of God) then the idea of the rightness of a fiery, eternal hell of torment is the next step, both logical and just. Who does not deal in the most severe manner possible with his enemies, and God is no exception. Perhaps the epistemological end of this thinking is Dante's ridiculous pictures of hell.
Apart from a poetic license, Dante's depth of hell is ice, not fire.

There is no doubt that if we are "totally depraved" and therefore nothing more than God's enemies and rebels in our unredeemed ontology ...
Not "totally depraved," and not "nothing more than" but yes, "God's enemies and rebels in our unredeemed ontology" until save by Christ as St. Paul says.

From there, the next logical impasse is getting the unborn dead (as in aborted babies) or unbaptized into heaven. Thus the fatuous doctrine of Limbo becomes a necessity.
Limbo is not "de fide" doctrine and much more nuanced; see, e.g. Limbo.

And it gets worse and worse. If Augustine's musings on the soul and the effect of Original Sin are correct, then inasmuch as all the unredeemed are the "enemies of God," then they should be treated as enemies. Thus you have the Puritans rejoiced over the murder of 600 Native American women and children because they are wretched sinners who richly deserve hell. What a fine Christian way to treat other human beings!! In like manner, when the Dutch Calvinists landed in South Africa, they found a nation filled with pagan idol worshipers, and within the context of their Augustinian-based anthropology, these too were enemies of God (instead of children of God) and were to be treated as such (i.e. enslaved and made second-class citizens) rather than to be treated with the dignity they deserved as children of God, evangelized and taken out of their errors.

Bad doctrine leads to bad religion.
Even if so, bad interpretation of doctrine does not infer bad doctrine.

One other thing that the author did not mention. If the Theotokos was conceived immaculately, then Her flesh, from which Christ receives His salvific and sacrificial Flesh, is not the same as ours. In other words, She is not of the same type as we are, and thus Christ, who receives His Flesh from Her, is not in toto one of us, thus creating havoc with the doctrine of salvation by the adoption of our similar nature and the healing of it by His complete obedience.
But Christ died in that flesh as did Mary. Using this kind of logic then, Mary's perpetual virginity means she's not "the same type as we are," not a real woman.

Bad doctrine leads to bad theology.
Also, poorly interpreted "doctrine leads to bad theology."

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.