The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
?
OP Offline
?
Hi folks. This is my first post. I was wondering if there were online copies available of Dr Alex Roman's akathists to Martyrs Jan Hus and Charles I? I found the one for Jan Hus a couple years ago and loved it.
Thanks for your help.

B
B
I have a copy of the Akathist to King Charles the Martyr from when I joined the SCKM. I do not think it is online.

?
OP Offline
?
Thank you Braden, I appreciate your reply and am sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I hope you are having a blessed pre Lenten season.

Hello Aedan!

I don't have a copy of my akathist to King Charles the Martyr and the SKCM has the rights to it. It is now part of the new member package that the Society gives out. If you like, I can order one for you. The akathist to Jan Hus is something that has become somewhat popular with the Czech Orthodox and their Church is thinking about actually glorifying Jan Hus and Jerome and Prague as saints. They have already written icons of them and have composed liturgical services. I don't know where the whole thing stands today.

Please let me know if you would like me to get you a copy of the King Charles akathist.

Alex Roman

U
U
I believe there is a group in Spain petitioning the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith to rehabilitate the excommunicated anti-pope, Benedict XIII, also known as Papa Luna, and a figure from the same time period and chaotic ethos as that of Jan Hus. St. John Paul's apology for the execution of Hus is not enough. I would like to see the western Church come to grips with the nuances of Hus' teachings. Perhaps this "purging of memory" is just what the Latin Church needs during these chaotic times, in addition to the Church of Rome calling for a real fast during the coming Lent!

The Hussites of the High Church party were called "Utraquists" as they offered Holy Communion in both Kinds (they did not impose it on anyone but simply offered it). I've not heard of the case of pope Benedict XIII and will look into it.

Russian Orthodox theologians in the 19th century commenting on Jan Hus held that he and his movement were attempting to return to the Eastern Church tradition that was introduced into Bohemia at the time of St Rostislav who invited Sts Cyril and Methodius into his kingdom. This was taken up by the current Czech Orthodox Church which intends to glorify Hus and his friend, Jerome of Prague, as Orthodox saints, replete with icons and Orthodox liturgical services for July 6th (feast of Sts Jan Hus and Jerome) and also for May 30th, feast of St Jerome of Prague alone. Jerome travelled to Latvia where he was baptized as an Orthodox Christian and his baptismal certificate has been found (this would explain why during his trial for his being complicit with Jan Hus he frequently stated his faith in Orthodoxy and that he dies for the Orthodox faith).

The akathist I wrote to Jan Hus reflects my own sympathy for him and also for private recitation for a number of converts to Orthodoxy and Eastern Catholicism from Protestantism whose traditions venerated Hus. Some Lutheran pastors in Germany also adapted the akathist to music and used it in their parishes (as they have communicated with me to tell me). The Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko himself venerated Hus and wrote a poem in his honour as a memer of the Cyrillo-Methodian Brotherhood in his day. In the Czech Republic, July 5 and July 6, the feast days of Sts Cyril and Methodius and Jan Hus respectively, are official days off. The cultus of Jan Hus was once very widespread throughout Bohemia and it was said that every second village had a statue of him. So popular was his cult that the Jesuits, it was said, developed the cult of St John Nepomuk to try and offset Hus' celebrations. In 1963, I believe, Rome removed Nepomuk from the universal calendar and left him as a local commemoration only. This is also mentioned in Fr Holweck\s Dictionary of the Saints under "John Nepomuk."

Hus has become less of a controversial figure and I've seen his VITA included in one modern edition on Catholic saints, saying his burning was a "terrible mistake." A similar case is that of the famous Dominican Jerome Savonarola who has always been privately honoured within the Dominican Order. At one point soon after his burning, Dominicans liturgically honoured him and gave him the title of "Blessed" as was the tradition in those days. He is today listed as a "Servant of God" and saints such as St Phililp Neri and St Catherine of Bologna privately venerated Jerome. One of Jerome's disciples, Maximos the Greek, left Florence in disgust following the horrific martyrdom of Savonarola and went to Russia where he became an Orthodox monk. He got himself into hot water when he sided with the Old Believers in the Nikonian controversy and was imprisoned. While in prison, he wrote the Canon to the Holy spirit which the Orthodox Church still uses today

?
OP Offline
?
Hi Alex, I hope you are well.
I have appreciated your posts elsewhere throughout the forum. It's my belief from that exposure that you represent our faith well.
I would truly appreciate either of the akathists. Charles I is a member of my wife's family, and I have a deep love for Jan Hus. May I reimburse you for sending the ordered akathists? Please let me know. I'll try to PM you my address, and if you happen to have venmo I could pay you over that if you wish.
Sincerely
Aedan

?
OP Offline
?
Actually I just realized I am unable to PM you. Would you recommend me sending my address via alternate means? My email is aedanramey@gmail.com, please feel free to use it as you wish.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.