The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
The Cub, P H, Hardrada, DMP, Kyrie Eleison
5601 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Kyrie Eleison), 77 guests, and 140 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,728
Posts411,849
Members5,601
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ritual Washing in Orthodoxy...? #419277
06/01/19 11:02 PM
06/01/19 11:02 PM
England
T
The Nikonian Offline OP
The Nikonian  Offline OP
T

England
Having risen from the bed and washed your face, stand before the holy icons, and looking upon them, turn your thoughts to the invisible God.-Old Orthodox Prayer Book

I found this Interesting Thing in the Morning Prayers of the Old Orthodox Prayer Book. It seems to mention a form of ritual washing of the face before prayer in the Old Believer tradition. does anyone on here now the history behind this practice or if this actually practiced.

Re: Ritual Washing in Orthodoxy...? [Re: The Nikonian] #419279
06/02/19 11:54 PM
06/02/19 11:54 PM
Hollidaysburg, PA
theophan Offline
theophan  Offline

Hollidaysburg, PA
Christ is Risen!!

Nikonian:

I can only hazard a guess about this note. I don't see it as a "ritual washing," but taken from monastic practice. I read an instruction that was supposed to be given to novice monks. Given the idea that one should establish regular habits in one's life, it makes sense. I think it may also refer to Our Lord's instruction to those who are fasting where we are told to wash out faces and anoint our for heads so that no one would know we are fasting. Immediately on rising we have not broken the fast--breakfast. And, given that one is fasting when one rises and immediately goes to prayer, it suggests to me that we should take the attitude that we are glad to speak immediately to Our Lord.

Bob

Re: Ritual Washing in Orthodoxy...? [Re: The Nikonian] #419283
06/03/19 01:31 PM
06/03/19 01:31 PM
Hollidaysburg, PA
theophan Offline
theophan  Offline

Hollidaysburg, PA
Christ is Risen!!

Nikonian:

I had another thought this morning when I looked in the mirror after rising. Would you go to meet the president of the United States or the Prime Minister of the UK or Canada the way you look on rolling out of the sack? How about your Creator?

If the icons are windows onto Heaven, why would you look out into eternity without making yourself presentable?

I wouldn't. I look like the wrath of God in the morning before washing, shaving and combing my hair.

Bob

Re: Ritual Washing in Orthodoxy...? [Re: The Nikonian] #419289
06/04/19 12:00 AM
06/04/19 12:00 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Deacon John Montalvo Offline
Deacon John Montalvo  Offline

Scottsdale, AZ
I can’t speak to the instruction in your prayer book, but I know what I pray from the Psalms:

Psalm 3:5
I lay down and slept;
I woke again, for the LORD sustained me.

Psalm 121:2-4
My help comes from the LORD,
who made heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved;
he who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, he who keeps Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

So He who watches over you 24/7 is not put off by how you look or smell in the morning. Now if you’re a monk who has personal hygiene issues, your brother monks will no doubt have a great deal to say how you look and smell in the morning. Incense wasn’t used in the cell during person prayer.

Moderated by  Alice, Father Deacon Ed, theophan 

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.