The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
The Cub, P H, Hardrada, DMP, Kyrie Eleison
5601 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (The Cub), 82 guests, and 423 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,726
Posts411,831
Members5,601
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sunday obligation #419408
08/17/19 03:01 PM
08/17/19 03:01 PM
Pirkanmaa, Finland
Krysostomos Offline OP
Krysostomos  Offline OP

Pirkanmaa, Finland
Roman catholics have this sunday obligation: you should go to the Holy Mass every sunday, If possible.
How is this thing in The Eastern Catholic Church? Should you go to Divine Liturgy every sunday?!?

Re: Sunday obligation [Re: Krysostomos] #419409
08/17/19 03:31 PM
08/17/19 03:31 PM
Virginia USA
I
Irish_Ruthenian Offline
Irish_Ruthenian  Offline
I

Virginia USA
Roman Catholicism is all about law. It is about keeping rules and regulations. That is not the way the East looks at our relationship with Christ. For us, it is about theosis, about changing ourselves by cooperating with the Holy Spirit so that we grow in love for God and for our fellow man.

If you are growing in love for God, you do not have to be threatened with "mortal sin" (a concept unknown to the Eastern Church). If a person does not wish to attend Liturgy on Sunday, then perhaps he should really sit down and think about how much he really loves God and wants to please the one who died for him. If you have to be threatened with "mortal sin" to go to Mass, and that is the only reason you go, then you need some spiritual help.

Re: Sunday obligation [Re: Krysostomos] #419412
08/20/19 01:18 AM
08/20/19 01:18 AM
Peabody, MA
U
Utroque Offline
Utroque  Offline
U

Peabody, MA
The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church.

Re: Sunday obligation [Re: Krysostomos] #419414
08/20/19 05:45 PM
08/20/19 05:45 PM
Virginia!
Administrator Offline

John
Administrator  Offline

John

Virginia!
The expectation in the Christian East is that the faithful are expected to attend the Divine Praises (Vespers and/or Matins) and the Divine Liturgy for all Sundays and major feast days. Sadly, very few parishes actually celebrate Vespers and Matins (at least in North America).

Historically, there was not a lot of legislation regarding "obligation", etc.

In North America, Eastern Catholics generally follow the example of the Roman Catholics, with a bishop-defined obligation for Divine Liturgy participation on Sundays and certain major feasts. And with exemptions for those who cannot participate due to illness, etc.

Re: Sunday obligation [Re: Krysostomos] #419434
09/06/19 07:44 AM
09/06/19 07:44 AM
State of Washington
P
Protopappas76 Offline
Protopappas76  Offline
P

State of Washington
Obligation? A very strange word for any Orthodox or Greek-Catholic Christian to use regarding Divine Worship. The dictionary describes obligation as: "An act or course of action to which one is legally or morally bound." It, frankly, bears the baggage of a totally abject and discarded view that Eastern Catholics are merely Roman Catholics with a different liturgical veneer.
We can be in communion with the Roman and other Catholic Churches without surrendering or bastardizing our own ecclesial and theological integrity.

The original question is a perfectly good and valid question, i.e. "Should you go to Divine Liturgy every Sunday?" The answer is, of course, yes. But that yes is born of baptism and chrismation and not of some kind of minimalist understanding. This is not at all knocking western Catholicism but to merely point out that the concept of "obligation" comes from a different theological construct and tradition - vaiid in the tradition of Western Catholicism, but very much alien to the Christian East.

Re: Sunday obligation [Re: Protopappas76] #419435
09/06/19 05:40 PM
09/06/19 05:40 PM
San Luis Obispo, CA
D
DocT Offline
DocT  Offline
D

San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally Posted by Protopappas76
Obligation? A very strange word for any Orthodox or Greek-Catholic Christian to use regarding Divine Worship. The dictionary describes obligation as: "An act or course of action to which one is legally or morally bound." It, frankly, bears the baggage of a totally abject and discarded view that Eastern Catholics are merely Roman Catholics with a different liturgical veneer.
We can be in communion with the Roman and other Catholic Churches without surrendering or bastardizing our own ecclesial and theological integrity.

The original question is a perfectly good and valid question, i.e. "Should you go to Divine Liturgy every Sunday?" The answer is, of course, yes. But that yes is born of baptism and chrismation and not of some kind of minimalist understanding. This is not at all knocking western Catholicism but to merely point out that the concept of "obligation" comes from a different theological construct and tradition - vaiid in the tradition of Western Catholicism, but very much alien to the Christian East.

Excellent post. I fully agree.

I love liturgy. I don't want to miss it. I attend out of love.

I get to go.....I do not "have to" go. Not obligation....but privilege and opportunity.

Imagine if your wife was "obligated" and didn't love you.....

Re: Sunday obligation [Re: Irish_Ruthenian] #419436
09/07/19 04:00 PM
09/07/19 04:00 PM
USA
I
Irenaeus Offline
Irenaeus  Offline
I

USA
Originally Posted by Irish_Ruthenian
Roman Catholicism is all about law. It is about keeping rules and regulations. That is not the way the East looks at our relationship with Christ. For us, it is about theosis, about changing ourselves by cooperating with the Holy Spirit so that we grow in love for God and for our fellow man.

If you are growing in love for God, you do not have to be threatened with "mortal sin" (a concept unknown to the Eastern Church). If a person does not wish to attend Liturgy on Sunday, then perhaps he should really sit down and think about how much he really loves God and wants to please the one who died for him. If you have to be threatened with "mortal sin" to go to Mass, and that is the only reason you go, then you need some spiritual help.

I recall a priest, Fr. Michael Murphy in the Diocese of San Diego, California, who often cajoled Roman Catholics about Holy Days of Opportunity rather than Holy Days of Obligation.

Irish, perhaps I misunderstand you regarding your statement "mortal sin" (a concept unknown to the Eastern Church). I'm confident that the Eastern Church understands well that some sins are deadly, and some are not, as the following passage from 1 John 5:16-17 indicates:

16 If a man knows his brother to be guilty, yet not of such a sin as brings death with it, he should pray for him; and, at his request, life will be granted to the brother who is sinning, yet not fatally. There is a sin which kills; it is not over this that I bid him fall to prayer.[4] 17 Sin may be wrong-doing of any kind; not all sin is fatal.

Last edited by Irenaeus; 09/07/19 04:24 PM. Reason: clarification

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.