The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 295 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
John
OP Offline
John
Jordan Peterson (S2 E14) and Bishop Barron: Catholicism and the Modern Age

https://www.jordanbpeterson.com/podcast/s2-e14-bishop-barron-catholicism-and-the-modern-age/

1 hour 40 minutes.

This is quite good. Jordan Peterson is a Psychology Professor at the University of Toronto. Bishop Robert Barren is the Auxiliary Bishop of Los Angeles and the founder of "Word on Fire" ministries. There are some good insights in this discussion on evangelization.

S
S
The placement of the Lutheran pastor Joshua Pfeiffer is very good: It seems that Jordan Peterson has not yet understood the gospel depth.

Note: One problem I see in the "political right" (some of these people influenced by the thinking of Jordan Peterson) is that for them Christianity has its usefulness in cultural warfare, Christianity is as if reduced to a subculture or some ethical system. It's very good to hear Jordan himself recognize that Christian faith requires a more radical response from the person (but in any case, he seems far from being called by the Gospel).

K
K
"Bishop" Barron is not one id go to for advice or even a debate on catholicism considering what he said to Ben Shapiro calling Christ the "priviledged" way to heaven when he was on the ben shapiro show.

"No. The Catholic view — go back to the Second Vatican Council, [which] says it very clearly. I mean, Christ is the privileged route to salvation. I mean, God so loved the world He gave His only Son that we might find eternal life. So that’s the privileged route. However, Vatican II clearly teaches that someone outside the Christian Faith can be saved." - "Bp" Barron

John
OP Offline
John
While Bishop Barren sometimes lacks clarity in what he says, I don't judge him for that. A conversation with a non-Christian is going to have a different focus than laying out a general teaching of the Church. Sometimes it is necessary to present just enough to understand.

That said, there is nothing wrong with what Bishop Barren said if you understand it in context. In Romans 2:14-16 the Apostle Paul speaks of those who do not know Christ being judged by the law written on their hearts. That is not a rejection of the fact that all salvation comes through Christ.

Consider this from the Catholic Catechism (847): This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church: Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience—those too may achieve eternal salvation. (CCC 847)

As to Jordan Peterson, I see a man who is attempting to work out his salvation. Our task is to pray for him and his family, that the Lord use this honest seeking to lead him to Himself.

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Kyrie Eleison
"Bishop" Barron is not one id go to for advice or even a debate on catholicism considering what he said to Ben Shapiro calling Christ the "priviledged" way to heaven when he was on the ben shapiro show.

"No. The Catholic view — go back to the Second Vatican Council, [which] says it very clearly. I mean, Christ is the privileged route to salvation. I mean, God so loved the world He gave His only Son that we might find eternal life. So that’s the privileged route. However, Vatican II clearly teaches that someone outside the Christian Faith can be saved." - "Bp" Barron

I watched the Shapiro interview and liked it. I noted a few things but I had the luxury of the listener and not having to speak extemporaneously. I'm ok with the "Christ is the privileged route to salvation" since he goes on to say that others outside the faith are saved through Christ also. (Yes, he could have said explicitly Christ is the only way.) In this interview, Bishop Barron came across to me as knowledgeable and doctrinally sound.

What's the problem? Why is it "Bishop" (the quotes)?

V
V
Administrator John,
why do you care what a Latin-rite Roman (or, Romano-Germanic) Catholic bishop has to say? After all, don't you folks here consider yourselves Byzantine-rite Greek (or, Graeco-Slavic) Orthodox people? (sarcasm)

John
OP Offline
John
Vigilante,

I am interested in anyone who proclaims Christ. I am also interested in anyone who works for a better society.

I have watched a number of Bishop Barron's videos. He's usually interesting and I often profit from watching them. I suppose some of his videos deal exclusively with the life of the Latin Church, and those would be less interesting to me. But often he discusses how the Church should present the Gospel to modern society. When he does, I can learn something.

Regarding the conversation between him and Dr. Jordan Peterson, I can see how he presents the Gospel to Peterson, a man who is very obviously seeking understanding. And I can learn how to speak of Christ.

John

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.