The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll, Bradford Roman, Pd1989
5,991 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 387 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,392
Posts416,746
Members5,991
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#396038 06/26/13 11:02 AM
Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Appearance of St. Nektarios:

In 1979, in the church of Agios Konstantinos in Piraeus, on the feast day of St. Nektarios, a priest with a deacon of the church were liturgizing.

At the end, they said the closing prayers, distributed the Antidoron, and everyone in attendance left.

By the time the Priest and deacon consumed the remnants of the Eucharist, folded the vestments, etc., some time had passed.

Eventually, they came out of the temple. Outside the door, familiar and pious woman parishioner was waiting, full of anxiety...

- "What are you still doing here? What are you waiting for?" the Priest asked her.

-"I am waiting for the Bishop who celebrated the Liturgy with you to come out. I very much want to receive his blessing. Where is he? ... My, my, dear Father--he was completely glowing! He was completely ensconced in light!", she excitedly told him.

The priest turned white at her words! But fortunately, he regained his wits quickly and replied:

-" Oh, dear woman, I am sorry, but he left a while ago through the side door of the sanctuary! And the woman, crossing herself over and over, left, while constantly saying to herself:

- "Lord have mercy! Lord have mercy! Lord have mercy! What sort of Bishop was that!"

From the book: "Experiences during the Divine Liturgy."

--my translation from the Greek...

G
G
He is one of my favourite Saints for he too suffered from cancer and I pray to him daily (selfishly for my self ) but more for others with cancer.

Kolya the sinner and unworthy

J
J
Thanks for posting this, Alice.

St Nektarios is someone who I have wanted to learn more about for awhile now. Any particular books about him that anyone would especially recommend?

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Jaya,

I think that the book 'A Saint of our Century' by Sotos Hondropoulos, and translated by yours truly is the best book you can read. It is a biographical narrative and people love it.

You can order it at the St. Nektarios Monastery website here, and know that even though the price is a bit steep, you are helping to keep the monastery running by a purchase at their bookstore:

http://www.stnektariosmonastery.org/literature.php

(Scroll all the way to the bottom)

This monastery of ROCOR is also selling it on their online bookstore for less money:

http://store.holycross-hermitage.co...saint-nektarios-the-saint-of-our-century

Regards,
Alice

J
J
Thank you for the book info!

Originally Posted by Alice
Hi Jaya,

I think that the book 'A Saint of our Century' by Sotos Hondropoulos, and translated by yours truly is the best book you can read. It is a biographical narrative and people love it.

You can order it at the St. Nektarios Monastery website here, and know that even though the price is a bit steep, you are helping to keep the monastery running by a purchase at their bookstore:

http://www.stnektariosmonastery.org/literature.php

(Scroll all the way to the bottom)

This monastery of ROCOR is also selling it on their online bookstore for less money:

http://store.holycross-hermitage.co...saint-nektarios-the-saint-of-our-century

Regards,
Alice

Excellent Book! smile

I was blessed to buy this book while I was on pilgrimage to see the relics St. Nectarios in Greece. I still have some Holy Oil from that beautiful place and I remember the convent of the Holy Trinity and the beautiful island of Aegina well.

I am glad to see that Alice is the translator.

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Nelson Chase

I was blessed to buy this book while I was on pilgrimage to see the relics St. Nectarios in Greece. I still have some Holy Oil from that beautiful place and I remember the convent of the Holy Trinity and the beautiful island of Aegina well.

I am glad to see that Alice is the translator.

Dear Nelson,

I am glad that you got to go there! :-)

In Christ,
Alice

Not too far from where my father had his honeybees there is a Greek Orthodox monastery of St Nektarios of Aegina with absolutely wonderful nuns. The Mother Superior had a long prayer rope which she wrapped around her shoulders and then let the cross and tassel part hang down over her left side. Never saw anyone do that before, but she did it habitually whenever she took off her prayer rope to pray.

They also have a miraculous icon of St Nektarios and I was pleased to obtain a copy.

Alex

Alice Offline OP
OP Offline

Another amazing healing miracle and appearance of St. Nektarios; this time in Canada...

Miracle of Saint Nektarios: The Healing of Fr. Nektarios Vitalis of Cancer

Saint Nektarios the Wonderworker of Aegina

Fr. Nektarios Vitalis, well-known in Lavrio [a city in Attika, Greece] for his deeds and his sympathy to the poor and those written-off by the world in these difficult times, retells the following incident from when he was dying from cancer. What is said below has been told elsewhere, repeatedly, including in the book I talked to Saint Nektarios (Athens 1997, by the renowned writer Mr. Manolis Melinos).

Fr. Nektarios Vitalis recalls:

"I was suffering from a serious form of cancer. My chest was an open wound that was continuously running blood and pus. I would tear my undershirts from the pain. It was a tragic situation, and I was headed directly to death. So you understand, I had even prepared my grave clothes....

"On the 26th of March 1980, in the morning, I was talking in my office in the basement of the Church with Sofia Bourdoy (the church care-taker [a woman who cleans the church]) and the icon painter Helen Kitraki, when the door suddenly opened and an old, unknown man entered. He had a snow-white beard, was short and was slighty bald. He looked exactly the same as St. Nektarios appears in photographs. He took three candles without paying and lit only two. He venerated all the icons of the church, but passed over the icon of St. Nektarios without venerating it. He did not see me where I was. I had terrible pains when they pulled aside the curtain of the office and went to see the old man. He faced the Beautiful Gate [the Royal Doors in the Holy Iconostasion], crossed his palms and without looking around he asked: 'Is the Geronta [Elder] here?'

"The church care-taker knowing my disease wanted to protect me...: 'No, no...he is at home with the flu....'

"He replied: 'Never mind. Pray, and have a Good Resurrection,' [the traditional Orthodox greeting during Great Lent in anticipation of Pascha 'Kali Anastasi'] he said as he left.

"The church care-taker came running to me and said 'Father Nektarios, the old man who just left resembled St. Nektarios himself! His eyes flew flames. It seems to me that was St. Nektarios and he came to help you....'

"I thanked her thinking that she said this to console me. But deep down something was wrong. I sent her along with the icon painter to find the unknown man and quickly bring him back. I walked into the sanctuary and venerated the Crucified One [the icon of Christ on the Cross in every Holy Altar] crying, and once again asking Christ to heal me. Their footsteps stopped: 'Father, the Elder has come!'

"I tried to kiss his hand, but out of humilty he did not let me. He bent and kissed my own! I asked him: 'What is your name?'

"'Anastasios, my son,' he said, relating his baptismal name that he had before he become a monk....

"I led him to venerate the holy relics. He took out a pair of glasses with only one arm, and as soon as we saw them we were amazed! They were the same glasses of St. Nektarios that we had in the case with the holy relics. They were given to me by the old Gerontissa [Eldress] Nektaria of the monastery in Aegina.

"'Belief is everything!' said the stranger, as he put on his glasses.

"He began with reverence to embrace all the holy relics as the church care-taker showed, except for the relics of St. Nektarios, which he passed over....

"'Geronta, forgive me,' I said, 'but why don't you venerate the miraculous Saint Nektarios?'

"He turned and looked at me smiling. I asked him: 'Where are you staying Geronta?'

"He showed me the ceiling, where we were building the new church [dedicated to St. Nektarios], saying: 'My house is still not ready and I'm worried. My position does not allow me to live here and there....'

"'Geronta, I must confess, you were told a lie earlier. I have cancer! But I want to get well, to make the Holy Altar, to finish the Church first, and then I can die....'

"'Do not worry,' he told me. 'I'm leaving now. I'm going to Paros [an island in Greece] to venerate St. Arsenios and to visit Fr. Philotheos [Zervakos],' he added, starting to leave and passing by the big icon without giving it a second thought....

"I stopped him and put my hands to his face.

"'My Geronda, my Geronda, your face looks exactly like St. Nektarios who is honored here in our church....'

"Then, tears rolled from his eyes. He crossed me and embraced me with his hands. Taking courage I opened my hands to hug him. But when I spread out my hands, and while I was watching I could see him before my face, my arms closed back to my chest! The hairs then stood up on my arms and I crossed myself!

"I said again: 'O my Geronta, I beg you, I want to live to do my first Liturgy. Help me to live....'

"He left from being close to me and stopped in front of his icon and said: 'Oh, my child Nektarios, don't worry. It is a passing trial, and you will be well! The miracle which you are asking for will happen, and it will be told to the whole world. Don't be afraid....'

"Immediately he left us by walking through a closed door....

"The women ran to catch up to him. They reached him at the bus stop. He went inside and disappeared before the bus left!"

This story is always told by Fr. Nektarios Vitalis, a respected and reliable person, in the presence of witnesses. Fr. Nektarios eventually became well - to the amazement of doctors, radiologists, and forecasters of death. Because above all is Christ, our living God, and our intercessors before God, the Saints, plus our Mother the Panagia!

For "where God wills, the laws of nature are overcome...."

Icon of St. Nektarios embracing and healing Fr. Nektarios Vitalis, along with the two women bearing witness to this to the left, and the doctors confirming the miracle to the right. The icon is from the church of St. Nektarios in Aretaieion Hospital.

Below is Fr. Nektarios recalling this great miracle (in Greek)

http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2009/06/miracle-of-saint-nektarios-healing-of.html

P
P H Offline
P
i pray to him evrey day in hopes he heals my mother who has stomach cancer stage 4 i havent gotten any signs tho yesterday something strange happend to me n my mom n ide like to know the meaning of this so in the morning we went to her urolagist because shes had trouble going number one while at the drs dr asked my mom to give him a sample to see if she has uti so i walk her to the bath room and both me n my mom see a lay walk in mind you the only way to exit is one way the young girl at the office asked mny mo9m to go in and go in the cup to send out for testing my mom tells the girl a lady walked in we wait for her to exdit few minutes later the girl comes n says i dont think any one is in there n i said i seen a lady walk in close the door the girl gose dose some stuff comes back says no one is in there opens the door and no one was in fact in side when we stood right by it n seen no one exdit just enter my mom did her cross three times on this can some one tell me if that means any thing was it some sort of a sign let me know

John
John
Prayers for your mother. May the Lord God grant her healing.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.