The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
hydra, Kind, Augoustinos, Poliscifi, The Cub
5606 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 79 guests, and 442 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,756
Posts412,068
Members5,606
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ukrainian Catholic DL seems to leave parts out #419645 11/17/19 08:22 PM
A
Augoustinos Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I've looked at the online copy of "Byzantine Daily Worship (Melkite)," where they have the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, St. Basil The Great, and the Presanctified, and I have a copy of my parish's (Ukrainian Catholic) Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom.

Comparing the two, the Ukrainian DL of SJC seems to leave a fair bit out, compared to BDW DL of SJC. Here are a few examples.. After the first antiphon, a little litany is left out, but is included in the melkite text. The second antiphon up till "only begotten son" is left out. Glory be to the father etc. is left out in the third antiphon up to the deacon's exclamation "Wisdom!"

The prayers for the catechumens are completely excluded (understandable, I guess). Between the first and second prayer for the faithful, a short litany is left out. The prayer for the sanctification of our life - aitesis is left out (grant this o lord litan before the offertory prayer/kiss of peace). Missing one "lord have mercy" before the priests second to final blessing.

Is this common among, at least in America, different Greek Catholic Churches to use more abridged/complete versions of the Divine Liturgy, and if so, which Greek Catholic church uses the most "complete," if you know what I mean.

I'm in the Ukrainian Archeparchy of Philadelphia, and my liturgy book is the "Translation of Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom (Hierarchy of the Ukrainian Catholic Synod - 1988)

Re: Ukrainian Catholic DL seems to leave parts out [Re: Augoustinos] #419647 11/18/19 01:02 PM
Administrator Offline
John
John
I don't have the Ukrainian Catholic prayer book you are referencing, but it sounds like you are describing the standard abbreviations of the Divine Liturgy used by Ukrainian Catholics. The abbreviation of the Divine Liturgy is not new. The Greek Orthodox, for example, for many years did not take actual verses during the antiphons and then omitted the several litanies between the Gospel and the Cherubic Hymn. Ruthenians have their own versions of mandatory abbreviations.

Re: Ukrainian Catholic DL seems to leave parts out [Re: Augoustinos] #419648 11/18/19 03:37 PM
A
Augoustinos Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Is there any reason for these abbreviations, or why they're mandatory? I'd hate to think its just a "finish in an hour" type of reason.

Re: Ukrainian Catholic DL seems to leave parts out [Re: Augoustinos] #419651 11/21/19 12:22 PM
Administrator Offline
John
John
There are probably more reasons than I am aware of. Time, however, is likely the main reason. There is great concern that the people will not participate in a service that is more than an hour long. Especially when they probably drive past a Roman Catholic parish with a 45 minute Mass that "counts".

My long time adage on the length of liturgy is: 'If the liturgy is celebrated and sung well, an hour is not very long at all; but, if it is not celebrated and sung well, 30 minutes can be an eternity."

Moderated by  Administrator, Father Anthony 

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.