The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
hydra, Kind, Augoustinos, Poliscifi, The Cub
5606 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 79 guests, and 442 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,756
Posts412,068
Members5,606
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I recently bought "Divine Office of the Byzantine-Slavonic Rite. #419644 11/17/19 07:26 PM
A
Augoustinos Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I'm pretty excited about this book. I'm planning on studying it while comparing/contrasting it to other Eastern Catholic and Orthodox texts. Eventually I might talk to my priest about becoming a cantor for days when the cantor can't make it.

For anyone who has this book, can someone help me with something? How exactly am I supposed to read the Canon? It seems pretty complex to me, and unless I'm not finding it in the book, there seem to be some things missing. What I've found missing are parts of Odes 1-8.

In the Octoechos, the Sunday canon includes only Hirmos 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8*, -* not the refrain, troparion, and exapostilarion - and the full Ode 9 ( Hirmos, refrain, troparion, Exapostilaron). The weekdays, and feasts found in the Triodions, include Canon - Ode 9 only. Do I take the refrain, troparion, and exapostilarion from Ode 9 for all previous odes, where only the hirmos is supplied?

Or am I reading this completely incorrectly?

[img]https://imgur.com/o4TO9OS[/img]
[img]https://imgur.com/AfJHkJF[/img]
[img]https://imgur.com/koNPjW5[/img]

Re: I recently bought "Divine Office of the Byzantine-Slavonic Rite. [Re: Augoustinos] #419652 11/21/19 12:32 PM
Administrator Offline
John
John
I don't have that particular book so my comments are general.

Most parishes abbreviate Matins. So it seems logical that the book includes (in English) only the texts most commonly used by parishes. For example, at Sunday Matins my parish sings Ode 1 in full, sings the short litany, then continues with Ode 9. If you were seeking to do "full" Matins you'd likely need additional texts.

If you are interested in becoming a cantor I would focus on learning the melodies that never change. First, those for the Divine Liturgy, then for Vespers ("Blessed is the Man", "O Lord, I have cried' in 8 tones, "O Joyful Light, etc.) and then for Matins. Such hymns constitute the frame of the service. Then learn the the melodies for the troparia and prokimney. And so on.

Best wishes.

Re: I recently bought "Divine Office of the Byzantine-Slavonic Rite. [Re: Augoustinos] #419656 11/23/19 07:23 AM
A
Augoustinos Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks, that is some good advice. The melodies that never change are all in my parish's Divine Liturgy book, and I know them all quite well. Matins and Vespers, however, the books only are put out when they are served, so not often. Of course I could ask my priest if I could make a copy of them, but the Ukrainian Catholic church doesn't have anything close to the Ruthenian Metropolitan Cantor Institute website where literally everything is there and you could basically learn it all yourself.

We Ukrainian Catholics, however, since 2018 have been holding a Singing Convention. https://ugccmusic.com/ The website is lacking, but it seems to be conference where "cantors, singers, choir directors, clergy, and all those interested in church singing gather for the annual Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church Singing Conference, “SingCon,” a weekend of prayer, learning, and fellowship." Its an hour away at the Philadelphia UGCC Cathedral next year, so I might go.

Moderated by  Alice, Father Deacon Ed, theophan 

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.