The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
hydra, Kind, Augoustinos, Poliscifi, The Cub
5606 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 79 guests, and 442 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,756
Posts412,068
Members5,606
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Eastern Catholics and the Book of Revelation #73850 01/31/02 02:05 PM
Carson Daniel Offline
I have a session in my Theo. 101 class at the Un of St. Francis. I also assign Scott Hahn's book for a reading report. I use the study of Revelation as a guide to liturgy in preparation for their mandatory visit to the Byzantine Church. Though Rev. barely made the canon in the East it nevertheless opens up the Eastern Liturgy for my students who are mostly Latin Catholic.

Dan Lauffer

Re: Eastern Catholics and the Book of Revelation #73851 01/31/02 02:37 PM
J
Joe T Offline
J
Dan,

What from the Book of Revelation and/or Hahn's book aided in opening up the Eastern liturgy for your students? This would be interesting. Thank you.

Joe

Re: Eastern Catholics and the Book of Revelation #73852 01/31/02 02:46 PM
Carson Daniel Offline
Actually, several years before Dr. Hahn wrote his book I had reached similar conclusions. I've preached and spoken on the subject for years.

I usually limit my discussion to Revelation 4-8. In these chapters which are essentially repeated in seven cycles througout the Revelation we have a clear picture of worship.

I begin by drawing a rough sketch of the interior of a Church and ask what is seen first. The usual answer is either the altar or the crucifix. Not bad, eh?

It flows from there. The altar is the throne of God. The vision was on "The Lord's day" when John was "in the Spirit" i.e., he was praying or was in worship. The crystal fountain, as has been mentioned, is baptism. Water is the place where we are not only washed and made presentable but more importantly, a substance in which we die to ourselves.

Read the section as a guide to worship. I think you will see what I mean.

Scott Hahn's book is I assign, along with others, for reading reports. He tends to reinforce the lesson.

Dan Lauffer

Re: Eastern Catholics and the Book of Revelation #73853 01/31/02 05:52 PM
J
Joe T Offline
J
Dan,

Most excellent to hear of your approach to the Apocalypse of John. Refreshing.

Joe

Re: Eastern Catholics and the Book of Revelation #73854 02/01/02 03:44 AM
D
Dr John Offline
D
Maybe I'm a nut case, but I just don't feel comfortable reading the exegesis of Western sources on scripture that has an influence on our Eastern understanding. Not that they're wrong --by any stretch of imagination -- but just the concern that this interpretation will propose understandings that are not in harmony with our stuff.

No offense to the Westerns; but, if we're going to be "Eastern", then we've got to do the "Eastern thing". And look to our own for both primary and secondary sources, as well as interpretation. And NOT use the Western sources, however easy they may be to read. Nor how 'contemporary' they are. (Where the hell are our contemporary Eastern commentators and interpreters?)

Blessings!

Re: Eastern Catholics and the Book of Revelation [Re: OneHoly] #419679 12/02/19 11:25 AM
K
Kind Offline
K
liveforforever.com/revelation.html
questions the legitimacy of revelations' entry into canon.
---
whitepill pastebin.com/zhin4G33

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alice, Father Deacon Ed, theophan 

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2019 (Forum 1998-2019). All rights reserved.