The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#419822 01/15/20 04:39 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Today a new translation of the Septuagint is available in hard copy, the Lexham English Septuaginta

https://www.amazon.com/Lexham-English-Septuagint-New-Translation/dp/1683593448

and here is an interview with the two editors

https://brianwdavidson.com/2014/02/07/interview-with-two-editors-of-the-lexham-english-septuagint/

Prior to today's publication, there was a limited amount of translations in English available. The two most recent were the Orthodox Study Bible used the NKJV as a base text and altered the text where the Greek differed from the Hebrew. The NETS translation did the same except using the NRSV.

This is the first translation that I am aware of that directly translates the Greek text since the Lancelot Brenton's translation in the 19th century.

Christ is in our midst!!

The link seems to indicate that this translation only covers the Old Testament. Is that true?

Bob

D
OP Offline
D
The Lexham English Septuaginta (LES) has only the Old Testament. As far as I am aware, only the Orthodox Study Bible (OSB) has both the New and Old Testaments Septuagint together. Unlike the OSB, the Lexham English Septuaginta contains the book of Enoch, Odes of Solomon, and 4 Macabbees.

Another project, the Eastern/ Greek Orthodox Bible (EOB) is still ongoing. It has published the New Testament back in 2011 based off the Patriarchal Text of 1904. It is supposedly in the process of translating the Septuagint for a complete bible but there hasn't been any updates in a long time.

If you want your Septuagint and New Testament under the same cover, the Orthodox study bible is the only game in town. I am personally not the biggest fan because I don't find the NKJV to ne that readable, but you may find it suits your needs.

Christ is in our midst!

I was just curious. Thanks.

Bob

Septuagint refers only to the Old Testament. The New Testament of the Greek Church is the Majority Text last revised in 1904 by Constantinople known as the Patriarchal text.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
U
U
Since most of the NT writings, when citing the Old Testament, use the Septuagint (Greek) translation of the Hebrew text, it would be most helpful to have this English translation, if,indeed, it be a good and accurate one.

St Ignatius Orthodox Press has published a Gospel Book and Epistle Book using the EOB text. A Prophetologion is their next project.

https://legacyicons.com/the-holy-gospel/

https://legacyicons.com/the-holy-apostle/

https://www.ignatius.cc/publications.html

Last edited by Fr. Deacon Lance; 01/22/20 02:35 AM.

D
OP Offline
D
Is the Prophetologion being translated also by Fr. Cleenewerck? I know the finished EOB has been a long time coming. Also in the Byzantine Catholic Church in America, how much freedom is there for a parish to use the EOB. My understanding it is only the NAB 1970?

Our Gospel and Epistle Book use the 1970 NAB, but I know of no mandate to use only it. I have seen Archbishops Raya’s Gospel and Epistle Books (Confraternity Version) used as well as RSV published by Antiochians and NKJV published by the Greeks and Holoviaks. I see no problem with the EOB versions.

Originally Posted by Devin1890
Is the Prophetologion being translated also by Fr. Cleenewerck?
I believe so.

J
JLF Offline
J
With the blessing of Metropolitan Kallistos of Diokleia and Bishop John Michael Botean, I am pleased to announced a 3-book project of scripture jointly published by the Society of St John Chrysostom, the Orientale Lumen Foundation and Eastern Christian Publications that include:

Book of Apostolic Readings: Epistles for the Divine Liturgy – the texts of daily epistle readings for the liturgical year according to the Byzantine Typicon (~300 pages)
Book of Prophetic Readings: Old Testament Readings for Vespers – the texts for Sundays, Feasts and for saints according to the Byzantine Typicon (~400 pages)
Book of Thematic Readings: Old Testament Readings Relating to the Sunday Gospels – a brand new collection of Old Testament readings for Great Vespers which match the theme of the Sunday Gospel or Feast, including the corresponding Gospel text (~200 pages)
See the attached flier for more details. You can order by mail or online here:

https://ecpubs.com/featured-products/

Jack

Attached Images
Attached PDF document
Scripture Marketing Flier.pdf (423.36 KB, 74 downloads)
D
OP Offline
D
Hello, is the RSV used in these publication contain the original Thou, Thee and similar pronouns or has it been updated? And is the Old Testament amended to the Greek Reading of the text?

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.