The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
dochawk Offline OP
OP Offline
D
In a discussion elsewhere, this just came up.

My understanding has been that, except for Ruthenians, byzantines only consecrate the 33 commemorative particles, with the rest achieving their nature when added to the blood.

I've now heard suggestions that the UGCC and/or slavic also consecrate them all.

Where can I hunt this down?

thanks

hawk

ajk Offline
There is a lot that can and has been said on this issue. In brief:

Both Sub-Carpathian Rus' and Ukrainian Catholics (should) follow the Ruthenian (both are considered such by Rome) Recension. The Recension liturgikon has the particles put into the cup before the communion of the faithful, however, it only speaks of communion from the (broken) Lamb: IC put into cup; XC for priest(s), deacon(s); NI and KA for people. If communion of the people were to be only from the NI and KA of the Lamb then it needs to be large enough. See these discussions and pictures therein: Particles and Large Lamb & Cup.

My opinion: "consecration" by contact, in the context of the Divine Liturgy, is theologically deficient, an incorrect understanding.

This is largely dependent on the usage and intention of the priest. If pre-cut particles are used, obviously the priests intends to consecrate them. If the whole Lamb is used and not divided until before communion, the commemoration particles are not supposed added to the chalice until after communion. If they are added before communion I would assume the priest’s intention was to consecrate them. Where does the number 33 come from? At a minimum there would be 13 commendation particles and no upper limit.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Could the poster be referring to 31 particles? The three sections of nine (the orders, the living, the deceased) plus the Lamb with four. Thus 31 as a minimum.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.