The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Hello everyone! I'm new a new member here though I've read through the forum before. As many others who chant/read the services in church (be it as a subdeacon as myself, or a reader etc.) I have become frustrated by the vast amount of "choice" afforded to use to read the services. Often enough, the services themselves are published in books or booklets used in each Eparchy or parish. However, what is more frustrating is all the different Psalters (Book of Psalms) available out there.

What is even more frustrating is when liturgical books are published with their own version for the Psalter which you can't find anywhere else! I can't seem to recall the version of Psalms found in the Melkite Horologion, but I remember not being able to find it. So I would use one version of the Psalms for the Kathisma and then go back to reading the usual psalms of each service, but this gets confusing, especially when you are trying to memorize some of the Psalms.

I personally have the Holy Transfiguration Monastery (HTM) version, which is beautifully bound, but I find the Victorian language somewhat pretentious. On the other hand I also have the Psalter from Holy Myrrhbearers Monastery (an Orthodox nun's monastery in the OCA) whcih produces spiral bound liturgical books. Their works are quite good in terms of being in modern English, yet I do find sometimes it seems to lack a sense of poetry.

For those who are familiar with other versions, could you recommend other Psalter versions (which are compatible with the Byzantine structure of Kathismata) which match the psalms as found in particular EC or Orthodox service books? The only one which comes to my mind is the one I already mentioned...HTM's Psalter obviously matches the Psalms used throughout the rest of their service books such as in their Horologion etc.

Thank you and a Blessed Canon of St. Andrew for those who chanted it tonight!
CM

I believe the Melkite Horologion uses the translation made by DeVinck & Contos and published as The Septuagint Psalter by Alleluia Press. The Pittsburgh Metropolia uses the Grail Psalter. Holy Cross has published a new Psalter.

https://holycrossbookstore.com/coll...?mc_cid=4b5433998c&mc_eid=96754976e0

Last edited by Fr. Deacon Lance; 04/02/20 08:16 PM.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
C
OP Offline
C
Interesting, I hadn't known about this new translation. Thank you! Fr dn do you know if the Pittsburg Psalter matches the psalms that are in the St Josaphat Divine Office book?

http://stjosaphateparchy.com/product/divine-office/

That would be my guess. The UCCB owns the copyrights to the NAB and the Grail Psalms, so it is probably the most economical for publishing.

Christ is in our midst!!

I was given a Bible as a gift that had what were termed "revised psalms." My pastor subsequently told me that, though they were published in the RNAB, they had not been approved by Rome. Is that psalm version the one you refer to?

Bob

No. The Grail Psalms are a separate translation from the NAB and the only approved Psalm translation for Mass and the Liturgy of the Hours for English speaking Roman Rite Catholics.

Last edited by Fr. Deacon Lance; 04/10/20 10:33 PM.

The Metropolitan Cantor Institute use them for its publications as well.

N
N
The Holy Transfiguration Monastery Psalter of the Seventy is the definitive Psalter in my opinion.

P
P
At my little mission, we primarily use the psalter in the translation of Archimandrite Lazarus (Moore). It is dignified, contemporary English and avoids Ye Olde Worlde Englyshe of many translations. The text can be viewed, (with translation notes) here [synaxis.info] and can be purchased here [anaphorapress.com].

As we produce our own liturgical booklets for our use, we don't encounter the problem of mismatched translations.

The only problem is that Fr Lazarus did not include the Old Testament canticles in his psalter. So I'm having to look to an alternative source for these. I have recently ordered and am awaiting the arrival of this psalter [dormitionmonasterygiftshop.squarespace.com], as I'm told that the translation of the canticles is actually fairly decent. I look forward to its arrival so that I can complete the booklets for the psalms and canticles at Vespers & Lauds throughout the week.

I
I
Does anyone here know whether the Byzantine Catholic Church is intending to adopt the Abbey Psalms and Canticles (formerly Revised Grail), which are now owned by the USCCB and have the final approval of the Holy See for liturgical use?

I would imagine the answer is yes but corrected to the Septuagint.

D
D
Is the translation by Archimandrite Lazarus divided into stasis or are the psalms simply arranged in numerical order?

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.