The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll, Bradford Roman, Pd1989
5,991 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (San Nicolas, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,392
Posts416,747
Members5,991
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jvf Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Regeneron’s product given to President Trump is not made from human blood convalescent plasma. It is a synthetically produced cocktail of antibodies engineered in Chinese Hamster Ovary (CHO) cells. Regeneron’s product is still experimental and has not been approved by the FDA.

The REGENERON drug DOES NOT HAVE ANY HUMAN STEM CELLS!

I got this info from a NYC Blood Bank where I work today .

PRESIDENT TRUMP volunteered to be in the clinical trials before it goes to the FDA.
IT WORKED!

This is totally made up, Trump isn't part of any trial.

And Regeneron tested on and continues to use an immortal cell embryonic kidney line.

Are you pro Catholic teaching or pro Trump when push comes to shove? You keep promoting Trumpism as gospel, even pitching the MAGA slogan.. For what?

I'm not sure if you are naively believing what people tell you or are blinded by wanting to only believe Trump is just short of saintliness, or if these people you work with are deliberately feeding you misinformation as a prank or worse.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...ug-outside-of-clinical-trial/ar-BB19Lbqy

Last edited by Michael_Thoma; 10/13/20 01:41 AM.
ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Michael_Thoma
And Regeneron tested on and continues to use an immortal cell embryonic kidney line.

I want to know more about this. Please provide links, documentation etc..

ajk Offline
These are interesting links. I have done a quick read of three and they seem to agree. The USA TODAY [usatoday.com] states its focus and conclusion succinctly:

[HEADLINE] Fact check: Trump's antibody therapy not made from fetal stem cells but fetal-derived cells used during testing

The claim: Antibody cocktail Trump received is made from fetal stem cells

Our rating: False

There is another referenced article, Trump’s antibody treatment was tested using cells originally derived from an abortion [technologyreview.com], in which the author is at best sophomoric but seems capable of quoting and regurgitating other's opinions:
Last Friday, as Trump developed worrisome symptoms of covid-19, the president received an emergency cocktail of anti-coronavirus antibodies made by Regeneron. These molecules are manufactured in cells from a hamster’s ovary, so-called “CHO” cells, according to the company—not in human cells.

But cells originally derived from a fetus were used in another way. According to Regeneron, laboratory tests used to assess the potency of its antibodies employed a standardized supply of cells called HEK 293T, whose origin was kidney tissue from an abortion in the Netherlands in the 1970s.

Since then, the 293T cells have been “immortalized,” meaning they keep dividing in the lab, somewhat like a cancer, and have undergone other genetic changes and additions.

According to Regeneron, it and many other labs employ 293T cells to manufacture virus “pseudoparticles,” which are virus-like structures that contain the “spike” protein of the deadly coronavirus. It needs those to test how well different antibodies will neutralize the virus.

The two antibodies Regeneron eventually put forward as an experimental treatment, which may have saved Trump’s life, would have been selected using exactly such tests. Because the 293T cells were acquired so long ago, and have lived so long in the laboratory, they are no longer thought of as involving abortion politics.

It’s how you want to parse it,” says Alexandra Bowie, a Regeneron spokesperson. “But the 293T cell lines available today are not considered fetal tissue, and we did not otherwise use fetal tissue.

The Trump administration has sought to block or curtail research that requires tissue from recently performed abortions. In August, for example, a new board created by the Department of Health and Human Services, and stacked with figures opposed to abortion, voted to withhold funding from 13 of 14 proposals.

The rejections centered on research seeking fresh supplies of abortion tissue, rather than ongoing research involving older, well-established cell lines in use for many years, like the type Regeneron employed. However, one reason some scientists want to study abortion tissue is so they can create new and valuable cell lines.
[emphasis added]

It appears the 293T cells are a standard for testing in a more general framework and have been used for a long time. Have they been employed in a similar capacity for the yearly, standard flu shots or for drug development?

Last edited by ajk; 10/13/20 09:17 PM.
J
jvf Offline OP
OP Offline
J
It worked.

J
jvf Offline OP
OP Offline
J
What is your source for this
My source is from the highest level of a major NYC Blood Bank where I work.

"Regeneron’s product given to President Trump is not made from convalescent plasma. It is a synthetically produced cocktail of antibodies engineered in Chinese Hamster Ovary (CHO) cells. Regeneron’s product is still experimental and has not been approved by the FDA. "

ITS MADE FROM CHINESE HAMSTER OVARIES!
HAMSTERS not human stem cells!

J
jvf Offline OP
OP Offline
J

"Regeneron’s product given to President Trump is not made from convalescent plasma. It is a synthetically produced cocktail of antibodies engineered in Chinese Hamster Ovary (CHO) cells. Regeneron’s product is still experimental and has not been approved by the FDA. "

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by jvf
What is your source for this
It is from the fifth (last) link in this post, the post to which I was replying. I have also just made it a link in my post, and repeat it here: USA TODAY [usatoday.com].
Originally Posted by jvf

So, you agree with the USA Today report as I quoted it above in my post:
Last Friday, as Trump developed worrisome symptoms of covid-19, the president received an emergency cocktail of anti-coronavirus antibodies made by Regeneron. These molecules are manufactured in cells from a hamster’s ovary, so-called “CHO” cells, according to the company—not in human cells...
?

So the claim about aborted fetuses isnt mine, I stated, restated and repeated exactly what the article stated. The 'immortal' cell line still goes against the Catholic position and any Democrat would be lambasted by certain segments for doing the same, let's not kid ourselves

ajk Offline
The 'immortal' cell line still goes against the Catholic position and any Democrat would be lambasted by certain segments for doing the same, let's not kid ourselves
Does it in the present context? If the Regeneron product as developed were, in some form, the cure or vaccine, would it be immoral to use it? That cell line hasn't been sitting around since the 70's waiting to be used just now for the 2019 version, COVID-19. What other products have been developed using it? Repeating my question in a previous post "It appears the 293T cells are a standard for testing in a more general framework and have been used for a long time. Have they been employed in a similar capacity for the yearly, standard flu shots or for drug development? "

So what is your solution? Do you really maintain that the overriding moral issue focuses on your speculation that "any Democrat would be lambasted by certain segments for doing the same." Who can say what some purported "segment" does. Take a look at the real deal -- no kidding -- the platforms. Which party is actively supporting the development of new stem cell lines from abortions and which one is not, and has already suppressed it? On this issue, which party do you want to take us into the future?

I don't know, but if both can justify their actions and their supporters seem to not care, why bring these up when it benefits us to go after other and justify whatever we want when it suits us? It's more consistent to remain silent, or at least call out all the violators equally, rather only when it's "our guys." I'm not a "party" person, and don't trust either party to bring us to any utopian ideal, I go case by case and on individual issues.

Last edited by Michael_Thoma; 10/14/20 03:14 PM.
ajk Offline
Originally Posted by ajk
The 'immortal' cell line still goes against the Catholic position and any Democrat would be lambasted by certain segments for doing the same, let's not kid ourselves
Does it in the present context? If the Regeneron product as developed were, in some form, the cure or vaccine, would it be immoral to use it? That cell line hasn't been sitting around since the 70's waiting to be used just now for the 2019 version, COVID-19. What other products have been developed using it? Repeating my question in a previous post "It appears the 293T cells are a standard for testing in a more general framework and have been used for a long time. Have they been employed in a similar capacity for the yearly, standard flu shots or for drug development? "

So what is your solution? Do you really maintain that the overriding moral issue focuses on your speculation that "any Democrat would be lambasted by certain segments for doing the same." Who can say what some purported "segment" does. Take a look at the real deal -- no kidding -- the platforms. Which party is actively supporting the development of new stem cell lines from abortions and which one is not, and has already suppressed it? On this issue, which party do you want to take us into the future?

I don't know,..
I asked several questions. Which one(s) can't you answer?

...but if both can justify their actions and their supporters seem to not care, why bring these up when it benefits us to go after other and justify whatever we want when it suits us? It's more consistent to remain silent, or at least call out all the violators equally, rather only when it's "our guys."
I don't follow what you're saying but I suspect your solution here is to "throw out the baby with the bathwater."

I'm not a "party" person, and don't trust either party to bring us to any utopian ideal, I go case by case and on individual issues.
Well yes. I'm not a party person either, I (again) advocate scrutiny of the platform for starters. Where did "utopian ideal" come from? If you "go case by case and on individual issues" then do so here. Compare the case=platform on the present issue=stem-cell-research as a place to start.

Originally Posted by ajk
Does it in the present context? If the Regeneron product as developed were, in some form, the cure or vaccine, would it be immoral to use it?
I don't know - many Catholic "experts" have said yes, as no bad action turns good if later the bad can be used in a potentially or actually good way.

That cell line hasn't been sitting around since the 70's waiting to be used just now for the 2019 version, COVID-19. What other products have been developed using it?
No idea.

Repeating my question in a previous post "It appears the 293T cells are a standard for testing in a more general framework and have been used for a long time. Have they been employed in a similar capacity for the yearly, standard flu shots or for drug development? "
Seems it has

So what is your solution? Do you really maintain that the overriding moral issue focuses on your speculation that "any Democrat would be lambasted by certain segments for doing the same." Who can say what some purported "segment" does.
I can, based on how the same segment reacts to anything the bogey-man Democrat does. The same reaction is seen by the polar segment on everything Trump does.

Take a look at the real deal -- no kidding -- the platforms. Which party is actively supporting the development of new stem cell lines from abortions and which one is not, and has already suppressed it? On this issue, which party do you want to take us into the future?
Suppressed it? If everyone is using / benefitting from it's use, the "suppression" is a ploy not reality or at least unevenly distributed

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by ajk
Does it in the present context? If the Regeneron product as developed were, in some form, the cure or vaccine, would it be immoral to use it?
I don't know - many Catholic "experts" have said yes, as no bad action turns good if later the bad can be used in a potentially or actually good way.
Who are these experts? What have they said?

Originally Posted by ajk
That cell line hasn't been sitting around since the 70's waiting to be used just now for the 2019 version, COVID-19. What other products have been developed using it?
No idea.
So, I ask you, what moral decision are we to make, especially as Catholics? What is the conclusion based on the 'many Catholic "experts"'?

Originally Posted by ajk
Repeating my question in a previous post "It appears the 293T cells are a standard for testing in a more general framework and have been used for a long time. Have they been employed in a similar capacity for the yearly, standard flu shots or for drug development? "
Seems it has
Have we not then -- per your assessment here and that of the experts above -- been engaging in a lot of morally questionable and likely wrong activity? If so, what do we do about it now?

Originally Posted by ajk
So what is your solution? Do you really maintain that the overriding moral issue focuses on your speculation that "any Democrat would be lambasted by certain segments for doing the same." Who can say what some purported "segment" does.
I can, based on how the same segment reacts to anything the bogey-man Democrat does. The same reaction is seen by the polar segment on everything Trump does.
You have fashioned here the segment-man to replace the standard straw-man. You say 'I'm not a "party" person...' but despite this declaration you have been political with explicit reference to Trump, pro-Trump, Democrat. That's your call but the scope of the issues and considerations become trivialized by your ad hominem hangups. You asked in a prior post:
Are you pro Catholic teaching or pro Trump when push comes to shove?
I ask in the same vein, what are you, "pro Catholic teaching," anti-Trump, pro-Democrat? (It is a rhetorical question.) So after you condemn and do battle with that segment, take a look at where the Democrat's and Republican's policies (relevant to this thread) take us on stem cell research and the related issue of abortion. Put them side-by-side and then appraise them using Catholic teaching.

Originally Posted by ajk
Take a look at the real deal -- no kidding -- the platforms. Which party is actively supporting the development of new stem cell lines from abortions and which one is not, and has already suppressed it? On this issue, which party do you want to take us into the future?
Suppressed it? If everyone is using / benefitting from it's use, the "suppression" is a ploy not reality or at least unevenly distributed
As though there being past wrongs it is now impossible to do anything right? Answer the actual question, address my words not yours: " ... actively supporting the development of new stem cell lines from abortions." That is an action done in the present, now, not the past. It is my conclusion based on clearly stated policies and performance, just accepting the facts from their own mouths, that the Democrat's position is " ... actively supporting the development of new stem cell lines from abortions" and the Republican's is not in support and has even placed a ban on such development. Take Catholic teaching and apply it to those contrasting policies. Which of the two opposing policies are we to vote into practice?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.