The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
LionHippo44, Evan Gallagher, Lizzy VH, thomisticgamer, DesertPrayer
5,708 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 113 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Byzantine Nebraska
Byzantine Nebraska
by orthodoxsinner2, December 11
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
by Santiago Tarsicio, March 17
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
by JLF, November 10
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Upgraded Russian icon corner
by The young fogey, October 20
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,957
Posts413,415
Members5,708
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
jvf Offline OP
OP Offline
J
It was just announced on Church Militant today that Bishop Milan is closing three Byzantine Catholic Churches in the Eparchy of Parma
amd merging them into one parish.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
The decree promulgating the merger states 'the need to have ... a single faith community capable of effectively sustaining itself, evangelizing, providing beautiful liturgical celebrations of the mysteries of our beautiful Byzantine Catholic faith, as well as more effective sharing in the resources of the Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Parma for the Ruthenians"

I would presume that the operative phrase is "capable of effectively sustaining itself". While I don't claim to know the membership and financial circumstances of the three parishes, I suspect that none of them, standing alone, has a sufficiently large congregation to independently stay afloat and meet expenses. Those circumstances and clergy shortages are certainly the most common causes for mergers and closures.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
I did a quick Google map search. All three parishes are within a 10 minute drive of one another. I suppose it makes sense that the financial and manpower of combining the three parish could lead to better maintaining the of the building, increased charitable giving and perhaps "better" liturgies with more people in attendance. Of course, it will be hard on those attached to the other two buildings.

I am curious why the Cathedral was not selected? Where will the Bishop's seat now be?

Having visited Pittsburgh, and knowing the size of the congregation of the some of the parishes. I won't be surprised if the ArchEparchy does something similar soon enough.

T
T
The cathedral is basically a school gym with pews and iconostasis. The parishes there are in a bit of a sad state, not to speak the lack of priests.

Moderated by  Father Anthony 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2020 (Forum 1998-2020). All rights reserved.