The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
G
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Orthodox Catholic:
[QB]Dear Friends,

Just a note to say that the recent edition of "Svitlo" or "The Light" published by the Basilian Fathers has, on the front cover, a full colour icon of our 26 New Martyrs beatified by His Holiness the Pope in June.

This is the Beatification Icon. As Blessed Theodore Romzha and Blessed Josaphat Hordashewska were beatified separately, they are absent on this icon, as are Bl. Paul Goydich and Bl. Methodius Tricka, beatified later.

Among the martyrs in this icon is Blessed Leonid Fyodorov and Bl. Clement Sheptytsky who is holding a scroll on which is written "The Studite Rule."

--------------------------------------------------

Dear Alex,

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I have yet to receive a copy of "The Light" magazine that you mentioned above so I am asking this question: Are there two versions of the beatification icon?

The following links-

1) www.ukrainiancatholicsd.com/info [ukrainiancatholicsd.com]

2) www.svichado.lviv.ua/ukr/show_detal.php?bid=262 [svichado.lviv.ua]

-show the icon that was used in the Divine Liturgy of Beatification a little over a year ago. In this icon, you will note that Blessed Leonid Feodorov is missing from the icon, and Blessed Emilian Kovch is included instead, even though Blessed Leonid was included among the Ukrainian martyrs and Blessed Emilian was beatified separately. Blessed Clement in this icon is not shown holding a scroll.

I was reviewing my videotape of the beatification liturgy and saw that among the four icons on display, one was of Blessed Leonid Feodorov. As the biography of Blessed Emilian Kovch was being read, the camera focused on the icon of Blessed Leonid!!

I am intrigued by the "mix-up". It has left me wondering:

1) If Blessed Leonid, a Russian, was included among the "24 Companions", why was he given a separate icon?

2) If Blessed Emilian was beatified separetely from the rest of the Ukrainian marytrs, why was he included among the "Blessed Nicholas Charnetsky and 24 Companions" icon.

Ah, this reinforces my stance that Blessed Leonid should have been beatified separately in the first place.

God bless you,

griego

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: griego catolico ]

G
G
At the Divine Liturgy of Beatification in June 2001, four icons were displayed of the new Blesseds:

1)25 Blessed Ukrainian Martyrs
2)Blessed Theodore Romzha
3)Blessed Leonid Feodorov
4)Blessed Josaphata

Does anyone know the name of the iconographer of the four icons? There was mention in the "Icon Of Martyrs" thread that it was a Studite monk. Does anyone know how I may contact the iconographer?

Thank you,
griego

The Icon of the Martyrs on the ukrainiancatholicsd.com/info site BTW its my parish and my website which I have not updated in ages but anyways that is the official Icon used in L'viv for the Liturgy. It is the only time I will tolerate a high back on an Eastern Catholic priest :p

I was there and the original one was very big. They also had individual ones for Bl. Romzha, Charnetsky, and and the founderess of the SSMI. These were my observations standing for 6 hours in 8 inches of mud during hot sun then rain hehehe, but never the less it was a grand day for our church. It was very cool to be standing with some 1.5 million fellow Ukrainian Catholics. A lady standing by us had walked for 2 days from her village to go to the Liturgy.

The one I got on the website was mailed to me from the Ukrainian Catholic Education Foundation. (www.ucef.org [ucef.org] I think.)

On the bottom of the Icon it says Lviv Theological Academy, Seminary of the Holy Spirit.

Now I am off to update my very outdated website. I am going to put pics up of our dedication and the hiercarchal Liturgy.

BTW on another issue of Svitlo was a great traditonal Icon of the 3 Marytr Basilian Monks. It is a superbly done Icon.

ukrainiancatholic
p.s. There are some good closeups of the Icons and the liturgy from the EWTN with very good commentary by one of the Galadza priets.

G
G
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ukrainiancatholic:
>>>I was there and the original one was very big. They also had individual ones for Bl. Romzha, Charnetsky, and and the founderess of the SSMI.<<<

Dear ukrainiancatholic,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, there were individual icons of Blessed Theodore Romzha, and Blessed Josaphata, but the third individual icon looks to me to be of Feodorov, and not Charnetsky.
Charnetsky is depicted in the 25 martyr collective icon.

>>>BTW on another issue of Svitlo was a great traditonal Icon of the 3 Marytr Basilian Monks. It is a superbly done Icon. <<<

Do you have the issue of Svitlo that has the icon of the 26 martyrs on the cover? Is it the same icon as on the one in your website? Does it show Blessed Leonid Feodorov among the martyrs? is Blessed Clement shown holding a scroll?

God bless you,
griego

G
G
Originally Posted by Fr. Deacon Lance
Daniil,

Alex may correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Blessed Leonid was made Exarch for the Russian Catholics first and was only later secretly ordained a bishop. I presume this was done to avoid trouble with the Russian Orthodox and the government. Becasue of this there was some confusion as to whether he was actually ordained a bishop, but I think recent research and other evidence such as a photo of Blessed Leonid in omophorion and sakkos proves pretty conclusively he was indeed a bishop. He certainly would never have doned episcopal vesture if he was not ordained to that order.

In Christ,
Lance, deacon candidate

[Linked Image from antimodern.ru]

It turns out that photo is actually NOT Blessed Leonid but Bishop Theofan of Poltava taken when he was in Bulgaria in the 1920's.

Here are 4 webpages about Bishop Theofan that use that same photo:

https://antimodern.ru/theophan/

https://antimodern.ru/library/theohanes/

https://antimodern.ru/vladyka/

Link. [vershillo.wordpress.com]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.