The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 406 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ray S. Offline OP
OP Offline
I have some questions about the Ruthenian Rescension.

1. Who was the Patriarch of the Rusyn Church at the time of the Uzhhorod Union? What was his response after the union?

2. Since the Ruthenian Rescension is an older form of the Liturgy (Pre-Nikonian reforms) is the Ruthenian Rescension closer to the Old-Rite? I know little to nothing about the Old-Rite Orthodox.

3. How did the Ruthenian Rescension develop the use of three fingers for crossing themselves verse two fingers since it is an older form?

F
F
I don't have the list handy, but Mukachiv was a concatenative dependence of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople at the time of the Union of Uzhhorod.

The question about the age of the Ruthenian Recension must, alas. wait for a relatively short time - forgive me.

I doubt that after 360 years there is any practical way to discern when the Carpatho-Russians adopted the three-finger sign of the Cross. Often such shifts happen imperceptibly.

Fr. Serge

O
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
O
I've always learned that they part of the Kiev omophorion which was part of the Ecumenical Patriarch.

Ray S. Offline OP
OP Offline
bump

Originally posted by Ray S.:
bump
Not all things or people Slavic are Russian, and not all Russians are predominantly Slavs.

I'm going to produce a film about them Byzantine Catholics called:

"My Big Fat Greek History"

Did you know that the Serbian Empire was once Latin dominated? I kept wondering why their catechesis was so darn familiar, and why the internal wars were so bitter!!

smile Cheerio!!

Eli

A
AMM Offline
A
Originally posted by Ray S.:
1. Who was the Patriarch of the Rusyn Church at the time of the Uzhhorod Union? What was his response after the union?
I believe the ruling bishop of Mukačevo-Uzhorod at the time was Parfenii Petrovych. I believe that church was also a dependency of the Ecumenical Patriarchate and not Kiev-Halych (1646 was also the year Petro Mohyla died). So there was no response on the part of the bishop since he was an advocate of the Union.

I also believe that after the Union it became illegal within that section of the Austro-Hungarian Empire to be an Orthodox Christian.

Andrew

D
djs Offline
D
When, exactly? And which section, exactly?

A
AMM Offline
A
djs, Paul Magocsi wrote the following in the Carpatho-Rusyn American which I'll excerpt:

The Carpatho-Rusyn Orthodox church in Hungary was also caught up in the political rivalry between Catholic Austria and Protestant Transylvania. At the same time, Poland's Catholic rulers were becoming increasingly alarmed at the rapid spread of Protestantism within their realm. Faced with such political and religious rivalries, several Orthodox priests and a few bishops, first in Poland and then in Hungary, decided to join the Catholic church and to recognize the authority of the Pope. This was confirmed by agreements reached at the Union of Brest (1595) and the Union of Uzhorod (1646), after which the Uniate church came into being. In the course of the next century, the Orthodox church was banned and all Carpatho-Rusyns became officially Uniate or, as they came to be known after the 1770s, Greek Catholic.

Unlike the Orthodox, the Uniate/Greek Catholics were recognized as a Habsburg state church, and in 1771 received their own independent Greek Catholic eparchy (diocese) of Mukacevo. Financially supported by the Austrian Habsburg authorities, the Greek Catholic church by the late eighteenth century operated elementary schools and academies for seminarians in which the Rusyn and Church Slavonic languages were taught. From these institutions came Greek Catholic clerics (Ioanniky Bazylovyc, Mychal Luckaj), who during the second half of the eighteenth and first half of the nineteenth centuries wrote the first histories of the Carpatho-Rusyns.
The link is here [carpatho-rusyn.org] .

I just couldn't remember if this was the case across the whole of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. I do know in Romania in the 18th century there was an Austrian general who was sent in to blast away at Orthodox monasteries with artillery. I can't recall his name though. I'm pretty sure that was in Transylvania.

Andrew

D
djs Offline
D
Thanks. I wondered from your post: how long after the Union of Uzhorod? Some time after the defeat of Calvinist landlords, and after Maramorosh was finally incorporated into the Eparchy. In the immediate aftermath of the Union, the Uniate church was I think still banned in the eastern areas.

The Orthodox Church faired better in Austrian ruled lands. The Karlovci Metropolia was set up with the support of the Austrians.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
F
F
At no time was it illegal to be an Orthodox Christian in the Austro-Hungarian Empire; there was an autocephalous Church in Bukovyna precisely for the purpose of providing a hierarchy for Orthodox Christians not otherwise provided for (such as Serbs and Romanians) in the Hapsburg dominions.

However, the Hungarian government used the Orthodox allegiance of some Carpatho-Russians to bolster the claim that these people were a "fifth column" for the Tsar. The same occurred in the Lemko Region, although to nowhere near the same extent.

Fr Serge

D
djs Offline
D
there was an autocephalous Church in Bukovyna
What was the fate of this autocephalous church?

Probably the same fate as Bukovina. I think it is safe to say the Orthodox had in rough in Austria-Hungary. Mind you the Byz catholics were to be treated in time as just another way of saying mass and subject the same treatment the Latin Rite got from the Emperors. When the Latin rite monastercism was deemed to be of no further value and monasteries were simpy closed down or they became 'active' the same happened to the Byz Catholics. So when Monasteries were on the nose Orthodox of Catholic they transformed themselves or were closed down.

M
M
You are dead wrong about Bukovyna. The Orthodox had it very well. The priests were paid by the state. A faculty of Orthodox theology was opened at the University with very high standard. The late Fr. V. Sluzar of St. Sophia�s Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Montreal was a graduate. All Orthodox priests were paid a very decent salary by the government, which meant that the peasants did not complain about the priests charging outrageous fees. No one in Bukovyna had to sell their only cow for a funeral.

This site suggests that the orthodox church did not do so well.

http://www.jewishgen.org/yizkor/bukovina/buk001.html

It states that the Orthodox Church was molded and shaped to suit the Imperial authorites whims. Even mentions the closure of the monasteries and the taking over of their estates and the Austrians creating the diocese etc. The clergy fund paid the stipends for the clergy. Interesting reading.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.