The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#53584 09/30/05 04:35 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Dear Friends,
I have an beautiful silver Icon of the Theotokos and Christ Child. In the Icon, to the left are the letters MP and the right are OV.
I know that these are Greek letters and probably represent "Mother of God"
Can someone translate this for me.

Thanks

#53585 09/30/05 04:58 PM
Transliterated from Greek MP OY is Meter Theou -- Mother of God.

In Christ,

John

#53586 09/30/05 05:10 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Thanks so much John.

Brad

#53587 09/30/05 07:13 PM
I should add that the letter in question is a Theta, not an O.

When you see two letters and a small squiggle over them, it means that the word has been abbreviated, and you are seeing the first and last letters of the word.

[rant] I have heard of too many "icons" of various Catholic saints that are marked by the letters for the Mother of God, while the "title" on the image indicates that this is not what is meant. Please, please, please, everyone...buy your icons from reputable iconographers who know what they are doing!!! [/rant]

Gaudior, a bit cranky today

#53588 09/30/05 07:17 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Originally posted by Gaudior:
I should add that the letter in question is a Theta, not an O.

When you see two letters and a small squiggle over them, it means that the word has been abbreviated, and you are seeing the first and last letters of the word.

[rant] I have heard of too many "icons" of various Catholic saints that are marked by the letters for the Mother of God, while the "title" on the image indicates that this is not what is meant. Please, please, please, everyone...buy your icons from reputable iconographers who know what they are doing!!! [/rant]

Gaudior, a bit cranky today
Gaudior,
thanks for your post. In fact the abbreviated letters in the Icon (which was purchased and made in Greece) is actually the Theta. I just did not know how to post that character in this forum.

The Icon is made of pure silver 950 and mounted onto what seems to be some form of compressed dark wood (MDF maybe)

#53589 10/02/05 07:07 PM
L
L
Interestingly, these letters are on the front facade of my (Latin) Catholic parish church, with a dove shining heavenly rays on an image of Our Lady.

This kind of stuff doesn't just belong to the East, you know!

Logos Teen

#53590 10/02/05 08:37 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Originally posted by Teen Of The Incarnate Logos:
This kind of stuff doesn't just belong to the East, you know!
Dear Logos Teen,

I don't think that it was implied that this is an exclusively eastern identification, but more or less implied that it is a universal identification in iconography when referring to an icon of the Theotokos. You have to remember that in most Latin Churches, traditional iconography such as may be seen in churches of the eastern rites does not exist. Many a time I am asked by Latin Catholics what the letters on an icon of Christ or the Theotokos mean. They simply have not been exposed to it.

You have to remember that in most Latin Churches, outside of stations of the Cross and a few statues, there is not much iconography to help educate the faithful. I hope this helps.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
#53591 10/02/05 09:11 PM
L
L
Father, bless!

I was speaking a little tongue-in-cheek. I by no means believe that any significant number of Latin Catholic faithful have an idea what MP OY means. Heck, the parishioners at my church probably don't even know what it means, and they walk under it every Sunday!

Actually a Western form of "iconography" (if you fit that word to a Western context) that I love is frescoe, inside or outside a church. Some of the larger churches in Italy have inlaid mosaics and frescoes and paintings that cover the entire facade of the outside front of the church. The Cathedral of St. Catherina in Siena and the Cathedral of Orvieto come to mind. They're astonishgly spectacular.

Logos Teen

#53592 10/02/05 09:20 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Dear Logos Teen,

If you have the opportunity to find one (I am not sure it would exist), see if there is an online tour of the Cathedral in Ravenna Italy. Beautiful mosaics! I also agree that the frescoes can be beautiful. I also had the opportunity several years ago of viewing the Van Eyck Triptych in Ghent Belgium. Simply breath taking, and was one of the largest I have ever seen in my life.

Religious art, both eastern and western speak to many in different ways.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
#53593 10/03/05 07:22 PM
L
L
Father,

Couldn't find a visual tour, exactly, but I did find some regular pictures of the inside mosaics. They're beautiful.

Logos Teen

#53594 10/09/05 09:15 PM
Z
Z
Dear Logos Teen,

Thank you for letting me know about the the Cathedral of St. Catherina in Siena and the Cathedral of Orvieto. Hopefully some day I will be able to see them for myself.

I know that Ravenna has the most outstanding byzantine mosaics....of course since the ones in the 'Eastern Empire' were destroyed. Mosaics had always been very expensive, so that only royalty could afford it...so I'm dying to make my own icon. The problem is that I don't know where I can find the tools, etc.

Oh well, someday!

Zenovia

#53595 10/09/05 11:01 PM
M
M
[Linked Image]

Beautiful fresco from Santa Maria Novella in Florence by Andrea Da Firenze. Back in the days when we Latins knew how to decorate the sanctuary :p

"We love, because he first loved us"--1 John 4:19
#53596 10/09/05 11:12 PM
THANK YOU Myles! smile

....'be still my heart'....for such artistic beauty is rare!

Fondly,
Alice

#53597 10/10/05 01:04 AM
Z
Z
Dear Myles,

Also the days when 'genius' abounded. Thank you for it.

Zenovia

#53598 10/10/05 06:56 PM
L
L
I've been to Santa Maria Novella in Firenze, Myles. It's breathtaking; pretty much every square inch of Florence is. That could be argued for all of Tuscany, really.

Logos Teen

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.