The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DTBrown Offline OP
OP Offline
After reading some of the comments in the recent thread "What does it mean to be eastern and Catholic?" I am prompted to ask what are the views of Eastern Catholics here about the Balamand Accord?

Are Orthodox "dissident" "schismatics" who are outside "the true Church"? Is the Balamand Accord "blatantly heretical" from a Catholic standpoint?

Dave Ignatius DTBrown@aol.com

[This message has been edited by DTBrown (edited 10-23-1999).]

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
>>>After reading some of the comments in the recent thread "What does it

mean to be eastern and Catholic?" I am prompted to ask what are the

views of Eastern Catholics here about the Balamand Accord?<<<

Balamand's provisions have been adopted as official policy by the Catholic Church, but Latin and Eastern. It has been accepted by most Eastern Catholics who are even aware of it, though it was rejected by the initialy rejected by the Synod of the Romanian Greek Catholic Church--who were involved in a bitter property dispute with the Romanian Orthodox Church at the time. The Romanian Synbd has since accepted Balamand, and made considerable progress in their dialogue with the Romanian Orthodox Church.

>>>Are Orthodox "dissident" "schismatics" who are outside "the true

Church"? Is the Balamand Accord "blatantly heretical" from a Catholic

standpoint? <<<

No doubt there are some die-hard Uniates who feel that way, but most Eastern Catholics view the Orthodox as Sister Churches from whom we are tragically separated. The term "Diddisent Orientals" is heard only in ultramontanist circles, like the Transalpine Redemptorists, and hardly reflect the perspective of either the Eastern Catholic laity or their hierarchy. Balamond can hardly be considered heretical from a Catholic perspective, since it has been accepted as official policy regarding relations with the Orthodox Church, albeit implementation of its practical suggestions has been uneven (old habits die hard among Latins and Eastern Cathollics alike, to say nothing of the Orthodox). Balamand explicitly states that the Orthodox and Catholic Churches are Sister Churches, and that there can be no talk regarding conversin from one to the other as a prerequisite for salvation. The Catholic Church condemned uniatism as a method of reunion, and foreswears any attempt to proselytize the Orthodox faithful (though individual Latin and Eastern Catholics continue to do this in contravention of policy).

The emerging consensus among Eastern Catholics concerned with ecumenical dialogue, is that Eastern Catholic Churches have "a vocation to disappear" (Bp. John Michael Botean's felicitous phrase) That means our ultimate destiny is to return to our Orthodox Mother Churches, but only upon conditions that allow us to maintain our communion with the Church of Rome. In practical terms, that gives us a unique apostolate for reconcilliation, for it is only through reconcilliation and the establishment of a true communioni in the Holy Spirit that we can "go home".

Until that time, it would appear that our mission is no longer to the Orthodox, but rather to our Latin brothers, to make them aware of the glories of the Eastern Churches, and to impress upon them the reality that to be Catholic does not necessarily mean to be Latin.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Glory to Jesus Christ!

Well said, Stuart! And God bless you Dave for your presence here! You witness Orthodoxy at her irenic best!

In Christ
unworthy monk Maximos

T
T
Glory to Jesus Christ!
I would like to read this Balamand Accord for myself, is there somewhere on line that I may find it? Thank you in advance.

DTBrown Offline OP
OP Offline
The text of the Accord can be read at:
http://praiseofglory.alabanza.com/Stmaximus.htm/balamand.htm/

Dave Ignatius DTBrown@aol.com

T
T
Dave,
Thank you it is greatly appreciated.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I must have missed something.

Where and when was the Balamand Declaration accepted as 'official policy' and its accompanying ecclesiology adopted as Doctrine by the Church?

Did the Holy Father issue a Papal Edict? Did he make an ex Cathedra pronouncement?

I'm not being facetious here (okay, maybe a little :-) ) but I'd really like to know when this was adopted as 'official'.

Thanks,

Dunedain

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
>>>Where and when was the Balamand Declaration accepted as 'official

policy' and its accompanying ecclesiology adopted as Doctrine by the

Church?<<<

Balamand became official policy of the Catholic Church when the Church began issuing instructions that referred to the Declaration or substantively moved to implement its provisions. Hence, the Catholic Church has prepudiated any attempts at proselytization of Orthodox Christians, hence the Pope issued his Pastoral Letter Orientale Lumen (which draws heavily upon the Balamand Statement's approach to Uniatism and the future of the Eastern Cathooic Churches), hence the pope's Encyclical Ut Unam Sint, which reiterates the points made by Balamand in regard to Catholic and Orthodox relations. Above all, we have the Liturgical Instruction issued by the Sacred Congregation for the Orienatl Churches, which brings concrete expression within the Eastern Catholic Churches to the idea that the Eastern Catholic Churches have a particular mission to bear witness to the possibility of being truly Orthodox and truly Catholic at the same time.

I suggest that if you want "official" cinfirmation of the status of the Balamand Declaration within the Catholic Church, you address an inquiry to Edward Idris, Cardinal Cassidy, Secretary of the Ppntifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity. I heard him speak on the subject at the Orientale Lumen II Conference in 1998, and he was most emphatic that Balamand was the official policy of the Catholic Church.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the info. Upon more digging at the St. Maximos web site (http://praiseofglory.alabanza.com/Stmaximus.htm/index.html) I did find out that this is 'official policy'. You'll have to forgive me for being led astray by Catholic Answers ;-)

I guess I still suffer from a lot more Latinization than I'd like to admit. I am a prime example of technically being Byzantine without really 'getting it'.

God be merciful to me, a sinner!

Humbly,

Dunedain

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.