The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 246 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thepeug Offline OP
OP Offline
To avoid creating two separate threads and wasting bandwidth, I've decided to post three brief questions in one thread. If this is against forum policy, please let me know!

1) Sacred objects: I still have my pussy willow from Palm Sunday of this year and a white flower in honor of my mother (deceased) from the Mother's Day liturgy, both of which were blessed by a priest. I understand that blessed objects should not simply be thrown in the trash. What's the proper method of disposal?

2) I'm in search of a Byzantine prayer book that contains morning prayers, evening prayers, and prayers for feast days and liturgical events. I've heard that the new Melkite horologion (sp?) is a good one. Has anyone used this book? Any other recommendations that won't break the bank for a Ruthenian Catholic?

3) I'm also in search of a Byzantine crucifix to hang on my wall. Any website recommendations?

Thanks so much!

God bless,

Chris

Administrator
Administrator
Chris,

I can only answer your first question. Items such as you described should be burned with the ashes spread in an area that is not trampled upon. Unless, you really want to get rid of these items, I can see no reason why you could not just leave them in your icon corner.

I hope this helps you a little.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
Thepeug Offline OP
OP Offline
You have a good point, Father. Aside from the fact that they're a bit old, I suppose I could just keep them in my room. How long does one normally keep such objects? I've heard that in the Roman Church, some people will keep their palms until the following year, when they are burned and used for Ash Wednesday. I know that most eastern Christians (aside from the Maronites?) don't observe Ash Wednesday, but does any similar tradition exist in the Byzantine Churches?

God bless,

Chris

Administrator
Administrator
Dear Chris,

You can keep them as long you want. I have palms that date back to my ordination to the diaconate, and that was over 16 years ago. I just keep them in my icon corner.

The idea of burning palms or in the Slavic use pussy willows depends on the person. There is no expiration date on blessed items. wink I am personally unaware of any rule outside of the Roman tradition that would have a regular burning of such blessed items.

I hope this helps.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

BTW, from what I hear of the new Melkite Horologion it has rave reviews. Unfortunately my bank account is on the rather low side, so it has to be put on my wish list.

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai
I was gonna say the Raya - Byzantine Daily Worship but oh my look on Amazon - $212
http://www.byzantines.net/byzantinepress/books.htm

Here it is for $52
http://www.iconbook.org/Prayer%20Books.html
Icon and Book Service
Monastery of the Holy Cross in D.C.

I told my husband to encase his in gold - it is well used though, but I think we paid $70 for it many years ago.

This is a pretty good one - The Byzantine Book of Prayer (some have called it the Little Raya) it is only $15

Crucifix - I am partial to the ones on my webstore
http://www.agapeicons.com/site/1286684/page/676873

Pani Rose

Thepeug Offline OP
OP Offline
Father Anthony and Pani,

I really appreciate the suggestions. After looking around a bit, I think the Melkite Horologion may be right up my alley. I assume most of the feast days and major liturgical events will coincide with those of the BCC. And thanks for icon link; they are truly beautiful!

Regarding the blessed palm; if you can keep yours for 16 years, Fr. A, I think I'll hang on to mine for a little longer. wink

God bless,

Chris

Dear Chris,

Please do not overlook the Jordonville Prayer book. I was fortunate to find a copy in our local Greek Orthodox book store here. The morning and evening prayers are just so powerful and humbling. Cost is approximately $15 more or less. A lot of money, but a lot of prayers.

In Christ,

Michael

Our Marian doesn't have his store launched yet, but look at this beautiful egg with the cross on it
http://sacredromania.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=38

He has the icons painted on glass on there too. Just beautiful!

A most wonderful site. smile

I hope that he will add even more items of interest.

In Christ,
Alice

Thepeug Offline OP
OP Offline
Ooh, those Carpathian crosses look really nice. Not too pricey, either. There'd be something special about owning a cross from one's ecclesiastical land of origin (though I'm certainly not a native of the Ukraine).

The Romanian sacred art site also has some fascinating products; I've never seen icons painted on glass before. Interesting style.

Michael, or anyone else: how does the Jordanville prayer book compare to the Melkite one? I looked at some of the Jordanville text online, and you're right: the morning and evening prayers are beautiful. I used the "Prayer of St. Macarius to God the Father" during Lent of this year. Short of the Jesus Prayer and the Our Father, it's one of my favorite before-sleep prayers.

God bless,

Chris

Administrator
Administrator
Chris,

My observation of the language is that in the Jordanville Prayer Book, they use "Thee and Thou" instead of the modern usuage. Both have a good flow and it should be your choice as what you are comfortable with in language style and can pray with.

Some use a variety of prayer books, and others have that one standard that they use. It comes down to your personal preferences in what you are looking for.

I hope this helps.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

C
Always Learning
Always Learning
C
Originally posted by Pani Rose:
I was gonna say the Raya - Byzantine Daily Worship but oh my look on Amazon - $212

Here it is for $52
http://www.iconbook.org/Prayer%20Books.html
Icon and Book Service
Monastery of the Holy Cross in D.C.

Pani Rose
I know the $52 is out of stock for a fact frown
But my parents still have a few left:
--------->Click Here<------- [marketworks.com]

Administrator
Administrator
I think I am going to but my two copies of Byzantine Daily Worship under lock and key. I wonder how many other liturgical books in my library have shot up in value like this one?

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Thepeug Offline OP
OP Offline
Has anyone had experience with Skete.com? After browsing through their catalog, it looks like they have some really amazing icons, as well a Russian wall crucifix, at decent prices. I've been looking for an icon of St. John Climacus for awhile, and I was really excited to see that this site has two icons of the holy man.

Holy father John Climacus, pray for us!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.