The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
silk, Latin Orthodox, SheilaFK, DominicanByzCath83, GKChesternut
5551 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (RyanOwens, 1 invisible), 72 guests, and 385 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
OL EuroEast II (2007) Group
Portable Icon Screen
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,589
Posts410,984
Members5,551
Most Online2,716
Jun 7th, 2012
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How to Properly Venerate an Icon #64404
12/16/05 12:20 PM
12/16/05 12:20 PM
Clearwater, FL
snydersquare Offline OP
snydersquare  Offline OP
Clearwater, FL
I am a Roman Catholic moving towards the Orthodox Church. Question: how do I properly venerate an icon? Are there different traditions of icon veneration between the various Orthodox churches? I now attend the Divine Liturgy at an Antiochian Orthodox Church - icons do seem to garner less attention here than they did at OCA Churches (previous experience at the Three Hierarchs Chapel at SVS).

Re: How to Properly Venerate an Icon #64405
12/16/05 12:29 PM
12/16/05 12:29 PM
Sacramento, Ca
Brian Offline
Brian  Offline
Sacramento, Ca
This might be the Russian tradition (there ARE many ways and traditions of venerating Holy Icons)
You approach the Icon, make the Sign of the Cross and make a poklon (touch palm of hand face up to the ground), do this again, venerate the icon, make another Sign of Cross and poklon)

Re: How to Properly Venerate an Icon #64406
12/16/05 03:11 PM
12/16/05 03:11 PM
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
Chotkimeister Offline
Chotkimeister  Offline
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
As Brian said, bowing, crossing yourself, and kissing the icon are the basics, and there aren't any real "rules." When venerating an icon, I generally do as Brian explained, and then use it as a time for prayerful meditation. The icon I have is of Jesus, and I use it to assist me in making a closer, more fulfilling, spiritual bond with God. I look at the image and think about everything He did for us, say prayers - generall the Our Father and a few Hail Marys - and often I read scripture with it. However, it's a very personal thing. Personal prayer is as personal as each person's own relationship with Christ, and can be equally unique. That said, it's always nice to learn from others' advances in their faith and how they express it, and I look forward to seeing further responses to this. =D

In Christ,

-Steve

Re: How to Properly Venerate an Icon #64407
12/17/05 03:12 AM
12/17/05 03:12 AM
Western Australia
Pavel Ivanovich Offline
Pavel Ivanovich  Offline
Western Australia
I saw in one instruction, to not kiss the face on the icon even the icon of the Holy Face. That is considered a bit rude. Hands, feet or clothes of the person in the icon but not the face, never the face.

Re: How to Properly Venerate an Icon #64408
12/17/05 03:44 PM
12/17/05 03:44 PM
Richmond, Virginia
John Seraphim Offline
John Seraphim  Offline
Richmond, Virginia
I am a member of the Greek Orthodox Church. At the church I attend, after we approach the icon we cross ourselves and bow, then cross ourselves and bow a second time. After this we cross ourselves a third time and kiss the icon, then cross ourselves and bow one last time. At an OCA(Russian Orthodox)church that I attend with a friend from time to time, one bows to the congregation after venerating, and the congregants bow in return to the person who has just venerated. Hope I didn't overwhelm you! My priest told me that there are several variations - Just do your best and don't stress out! The only absolute rule of which I am aware is for women to remove their lipstick for obvious reasons. Welcome to Orthodoxy!

Re: How to Properly Venerate an Icon #64409
12/17/05 03:53 PM
12/17/05 03:53 PM
Richmond, Virginia
John Seraphim Offline
John Seraphim  Offline
Richmond, Virginia
Oh! - Pavel Ivanovich is right! Please follow his instructions on what part of the icon you kiss!

Re: How to Properly Venerate an Icon #64410
12/17/05 05:23 PM
12/17/05 05:23 PM
In the Alleghenies, the mother...
Orthodox Pyrohy Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
Orthodox Pyrohy  Offline
Forum Keilbasa Sleuth
In the Alleghenies, the mother...
No one really counts how many times you bow or sign yourself, so feel free to do what is comfortable to you.

Re: How to Properly Venerate an Icon #64411
12/19/05 07:15 PM
12/19/05 07:15 PM
The Most Corrupt State
Dr. Eric Offline
Catholic Gyoza
Dr. Eric  Offline
Catholic Gyoza
The Most Corrupt State
My pt. Fr. Bob just gave me an Icon for Christmas. I believe it is a Pantokrator, but it's just a "head shot" for lack of a better term. shocked
Our Lord's hands, shoulders and arms are not in the Icon. Is there a difference in venerating an Icon of Our Lord and one of the saints, even the Theotokos? confused

Re: How to Properly Venerate an Icon #64412
12/20/05 04:29 PM
12/20/05 04:29 PM
Canada
Orthodox Catholic Offline
Orthodox Catholic  Offline
Canada
Dear Dr Eric,

Yes, whenever there is an icon of our Lord's Head or Face, we kiss the Beard.

In all things, we emulate the woman with the issue of blood in the Gospel of Luke who touched the edge of our Lord's garment (which was also the most religiously significant part of His garment where the fringes would have been, symbolic of Grace).

We never kiss the face of any sacred subject presented in an icon.

There is no difference between the way we venerate an icon. We honour God Who is present in the Most Holy Theotokos and in His Saints.

Moreover, one Icon of the All-Holy Spirit in the East is, in fact, the icon of All Saints.

Alex

Re: How to Properly Venerate an Icon #64413
12/23/05 11:02 PM
12/23/05 11:02 PM
Metropolitan Detroit, MI
Sub-Deacon Ghazaros Offline
Sub-Deacon Ghazaros  Offline
Metropolitan Detroit, MI
Originally posted by John Seraphim:
I am a member of the Greek Orthodox Church. At the church I attend, after we approach the icon we cross ourselves and bow, then cross ourselves and bow a second time. After this we cross ourselves a third time and kiss the icon, then cross ourselves and bow one last time. At an OCA(Russian Orthodox)church that I attend with a friend from time to time, one bows to the congregation after venerating, and the congregants bow in return to the person who has just venerated. Hope I didn't overwhelm you! My priest told me that there are several variations - Just do your best and don't stress out! The only absolute rule of which I am aware is for women to remove their lipstick for obvious reasons. Welcome to Orthodoxy!
WOW! No wonder the fastest sign of the Cross motion I ever saw was by a Greek Orthodox. You guys have to do it so many times, you better be pretty darn fast at it! It was at a Pan Orthodox Vespers which I attended and this guy was like Billy the Kid or something! smile His hand moved so fast it was like a blur. Now I see why.

Moderated by  Alice, Father Deacon Ed, theophan 

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2018. All rights reserved.