The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 311 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
Friends,

Does anyone know if a tropar has ever been composed in honor of the Virgin of Guadalupe...in Spanish or in English??

I'd appreciate any help I could get.

God be with you,
fr richard

Originally posted by fr richard:
Friends,

Does anyone know if a tropar has ever been composed in honor of the Virgin of Guadalupe...in Spanish or in English??

I believe Fr Maximos of Holy Resurrection Monastery had posted one awhile back. I don't know if it was here or on CINEAST. I'll try to see if I can find it.

BTW, Greetings from Central Point (3 hours S of you)!

Dave Ignatius DTBrown@aol.com

An Internet search under "tropar guadalupe" brought up this partial webpage from the old Byzantine Forum. Only page 2 is available:

https://www.byzcath.org/bboard/Forum2/HTML/000162-2.html

In it, however, it says that the Ukrainian Catholic monastery near Ukiah, California has composed a tropar for the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Bless, Father Richard,

As you know, the Byzantine Office has a "one size fits all" set of Tropars and Canons for the Mother of God and every category of Saint (in the Menaion).

Our Lady of Guadalupe, being a miraculous Image, can also be honoured with those same Propers.

Also, the Akathist to the Mother of God can be prayed before any Icon or Image.

There is also an Akathist to the Immaculate Conception in the Akathistnyk of 1893 published at L'viv that would also be appropriate for this Image.

Alex

Originally posted by Orthodox Catholic:

There is also an Akathist to the Immaculate Conception in the Akathistnyk of 1893 published at L'viv that would also be appropriate for this Image.

Just curious...does it exist in English translation?

A
A
Father, Bless!

Fr. Richard,

If you contact the webmaster at webmaster@www.byzcath.org and provide a fax number I can fax you a copy of the texts.

Dear Dave,

Alas, I know of no English translation.

But if you REALLY wanted it, I could do an English translation from the Old Slavonic for you.

The Immaculate Conception was a devotion practiced even among Orthodox Christians during the Kyivan Baroque period.

They brought this from France where many went to study at the schools of Paris.

They wore the Immaculate Conception medal, organized themselves into Church brotherhoods and prayed a version of the Panaghia prayer: O All-Immaculate Theotokos, save us!

They also took the "bloody vow" that is, to defend to the death the Immaculate Conception of the Mother of God.

I don't know how this devotion came to be among the Orthodox, but it was there.

At one time, the Latin Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St Bonaventure's "Psalter of Our Lady" and, of course, the Rosary were practiced even by Orthodox bishops in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries in Eastern Europe.

St Tikhon of Zadonsk himself had a version of the Stations of the Cross in his cell, the only icons he had there.

Believe it or not . . .

Alex

Hi!

I think that the Orthodox Exarchate of Mexico has a tropar for the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. I'm surprised and happy to see that byzantine christians as well as some Russian orthodox people are very interested in this advocation of our lady and the icon is revered by both catholics and orthodox.

R
R
The Orthodox church in the village of Orjabyna [Jarabina], Slovakia has a prominent icon of Our Lady of Guadalupe on a side wall.

Dear Remie,

Our Lady of Guadalupe is a beautiful image of the Mother of God and is part and parcel of the religious heritage of Mexico and Latin America, as you know better than I.

It is very popular among Ukrainian Catholics especially and some parishes place a copy of this image on the Tetrapod for the veneration of the faithful.

I understand that Bl. Juan Diego will be canonized by the Pope next year, along with Bl. Padre Pio - great news!

Alex

"'The Virgin is one of us - the Indians!
Our Pure Mother! Our Sovereign Lady! She
is one of us!' Thus cried the Aztec Indians
who were first priveleged to behold the
miraculous painting of Our Lady of Guadelupe.
Yet, strangely enough, when a Russian Orthodox
priest, Fr. A. Ostrapovim, Dean of the Chair of
Church Archeology in Moscow, and unacquainted with
the history of Our Lady of Guadelupe, was
presented with a copy of this picture for
appraisal, he replied that it is an icon,
definitely of the Byzantine type and presumably
of Eastern-Asiatic origin. It was his opinion
that the painter of this Icon from the very
severe canons of icon painting and introduced
much of himself into it."

~from the essay "The Iconography of Guadelupe"
by Dom. Columban Hawkins. O.S.C.O.
["A Handbook on Guadelupe"/Franciscan Friars
of the Immaculate].

Actualy Mexicans believe that the icon of Our Lady of Guadalupe was not painted by human hands.
It's said that the original icon didn't have the moon and the figures that can be seen at the bottom of the image, and that the Spanish fathers enriched the image with some details without modifying the original icon in a radical way, according to the Mozarabic style, which had been influeneced by the eastern iconography.

Those who live or have been in New Mexico (the most important religious sanctuary of Mexico after Mexico City), like Chimayo, Santa Fe, Taos and San Fernando (the place where the last Mexican patriots were hanged by the Angle invaders in 1847) would notice that the architecture and the iconography of some churches (those that were not poluted by the barroque style) is very eastern, with painted images and icons (not statues).

If any did find a tropar for Our Lady of Guadalupe--could you share it with us? I think there'd be some interest in having it posted here.

Many thanks!

L
L
The 2001 Typikon of the Byzantine Ruthenian Church provides the following which it states are proposed Liturgical Texts developed by the Metropolia's Inter-Eparchial Liturgical Commission:

Troparion, Tone 4: When you appeared in the New World, O Mother of God, * you fixed your image on Juan Diego's rose-laden tilma. * All the poor, hungry, and oppressed seek you, O Lady of Guadalupe. * We gaze upon your miraculous icon and find hope, * crying out to your Son concealed in your womb: * Hear our plea for justice, O Most merciful Lord.

Kontakion, Tone 7: No longer shall the New World lie wounded in useless blood sacrifice, * for she who is clothed with the sun has revealed the Son to us. * O Mother of the Americas, imprint His name upon our hearts, * just as you wove your image into the cactus cloth. * Teach your children to cry out: * O Christ God, our hope, glory be to you.

Muchas gracias!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.