The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#72569 06/28/01 07:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was raised Roman Catholic, but now we belong to a Byzantine parish (Ruthenian). I have searched the Web (with no luck) to find a list of Byzantine Holy Days of Obligation, as they are different from the RC ones that I grew up with. Can someone please help me out on this? Thanks.

#72570 06/28/01 08:26 PM
O
O
No Catholic is obligated to search the web to find Holydays of obligation. If your parish does not observe a holyday, you have no obligation. If you are unaware of a holyday, you have no obligation. Quite simple.

Olga

#72571 06/28/01 08:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Olga, I know that no Catholic is obligated to search the WEB. I just like being an informed Catholic and a good practicing Catholic. I always knew when to anticipate an upcoming Holy Day of Obligation as a RC and since I am a practicing Catholic, I do know that today is a Holy Day (in our parish)because it was in our bulletin and announced on Sunday. So what I want to know is what are the Holy Days? Are you trying to say that they vary from parish to parish????

#72572 06/28/01 09:16 PM
Have you tried asking your priest what the holy days of oblications are for your Byzantine Catholic Church? (Jurisdiction, not parish).

Originally posted by answrs92:
I was raised Roman Catholic, but now we belong to a Byzantine parish (Ruthenian). I have searched the Web (with no luck) to find a list of Byzantine Holy Days of Obligation, as they are different from the RC ones that I grew up with. Can someone please help me out on this? Thanks.

#72573 06/28/01 09:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Basil, No but I plan to do that. We have only been members there for about two months. I just started looking today, since it is a Holy Day. I didn't think it would be such a big deal!! It didn't vary in the RC rite. Just a bit confused, I guess.

#72574 06/28/01 10:55 PM
The remaining Holydays of Obligation for the Byzantine Catholic Church, Metropolia of Pittsburgh,(Ruthenian),for the rest of the year are:

Friday, June 29, the Feasts of Sts. Peter and Paul.
Wednesday, August 15, Dormition of the Mother of God.
Tuesday, December 25, Feast of the Nativity.

After that you should receive new liturgical calendars.

Joe Prokopchak
archsinner

#72575 06/28/01 11:17 PM
We have lots of holy days of obligation.

Nativity of the Theotokos (Sept. 9th)
Sts. Peter and Paul June 29th
Dormition of the Theotokos (Aug. 15th)
Nativity of Jesus Christ (Dec. 25th)
Theophany of Christ (Jan. 6th)

I know we have few more, but I can't remember. I have to look at our calendar.

Also in our Eparchy, we have a feast of St. Nicholas. (Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of St. Nicholas)

SPDundas

PS, Folks, next time you want to address "Basil" please address him respectfully as "Your Grace." We are blessed to have him lurk on our forum. Please don't use his name casually. Thank you. [Linked Image]

#72576 06/28/01 11:43 PM
F
Administrator
Administrator
F
Spundas,

It may be that the questioner was unaware of Sayedna's status...

Edward, deacon and sinner

#72577 06/29/01 01:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks for the clarification, Joe and spdundas. As FrdeaconEd pointed out, I was unaware of Sayendna's status and I apologize. This is my first time to this site. Thanks again and again Your Grace, I am sorry. I did not mean to be disrespectful.

#72578 06/29/01 04:28 AM
D
D
What's a 'holyday of obligation'?

Where my family comes from we just have feastdays (and fast days) and we go to church to celebrate the feast. If you can make it: great! If not: great! but say a few prayers to celebrate the day.

Am I sensing a creeping sense of western perspective on feast days? In Greece (and I suspect in the rest of the Byzantine Christian world), one goes to church not because one 'has to', but rather because it's a feast day, everyone else is going to be there and one wouldn't want to miss out on being with the crowd (=ecclesia).

Blessings! (And blessed feast to all! To the Slavs: Sprazd'nikom!)

#72579 06/29/01 02:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Dr. John, Happy St. Peter and Paul Feast Day. Since our Holy Father has suggested that we "learn to breathe with both lungs", perhaps education time has arrived. Your question, "What's a 'holyday of obligation'?" and later remark, "Am I sensing a creeping sense of western perspective on feast days?" really seem out of spirit with today's feast day. I believe the early Christians gently instructed the new converts and that they were not harsh in anyway to them,in regard to their past traditions or customs. If they had been harsh or haughty,our Church would have never grown to the size it is today.
As for family background, well I was raised that you were "obligated" to go to Church on Sunday and on FEAST DAYS, but that you went not because we are "obligated" to go but because you wanted to go.
I cannot speak for other RC's who are now participating in the Byzantine Rite, I can only speak for myself and our family. We are not here to impose as you put it, our "western perspective". We are here because we appreciate the reverence, beauty and tradition of the Byzantine Rite. We have been apart of this rite for only three months now and during that time have done a lot of searching and educated ourselves on the differences between the different rites. I thought both rites were a part of the Catholic Church. If that is true than perhaps a bit of love and understaning would go a long way. We are so fortunate to have found that in our new jurisdiction(thanks Bishop, I am learning).
Blessings! (And blessed feast to all! To the Slavs: Sprazd'nikom AND TO ALL CATHOLICS WHO LOVE THE LORD AND ARE SEEKING TO DO HIS WILL.

#72580 06/29/01 02:53 PM
Originally posted by answrs92:
Dr. John, Happy St. Peter and Paul Feast Day. Since our Holy Father has suggested that we "learn to breathe with both lungs", perhaps education time has arrived. Your question, "What's a 'holyday of obligation'?" and later remark, "Am I sensing a creeping sense of western perspective on feast days?" really seem out of spirit with today's feast day. I believe the early Christians gently instructed the new converts and that they were not harsh in anyway to them,in regard to their past traditions or customs. If they had been harsh or haughty,our Church would have never grown to the size it is today.
As for family background, well I was raised that you were "obligated" to go to Church on Sunday and on FEAST DAYS, but that you went not because we are "obligated" to go but because you wanted to go.
I cannot speak for other RC's who are now participating in the Byzantine Rite, I can only speak for myself and our family. We are not here to impose as you put it, our "western perspective". We are here because we appreciate the reverence, beauty and tradition of the Byzantine Rite. We have been apart of this rite for only three months now and during that time have done a lot of searching and educated ourselves on the differences between the different rites. I thought both rites were a part of the Catholic Church. If that is true than perhaps a bit of love and understaning would go a long way. We are so fortunate to have found that in our new jurisdiction(thanks Bishop, I am learning).
Blessings! (And blessed feast to all! To the Slavs: Sprazd'nikom AND TO ALL CATHOLICS WHO LOVE THE LORD AND ARE SEEKING TO DO HIS WILL.

Most excellent points [Linked Image]

SS Peter and Paul, ora pro nobis.

Columcille

#72581 06/29/01 03:20 PM
B
B
Not that anyone seems very bothered by it, but those who are canonically RC are still, legally speaking, "bound" to the Latin Code of Canon Law. This creates a canonically uncomfortable situation for those who attend Byzantine parishes but are canonically Roman -- because, technically, you are still subject to the Roman Catholic canons regarding things like holy days of obligation. As a practical matter, many of these people follow the practices of the Byzantine parish where they worship, but that is not a canonical solution. I would recommend speaking with your priest about this.

#72582 06/29/01 03:24 PM
novice O.Carm.
novice O.Carm.
This has bothered me, the choice of wording.

Obligation, here is the entry for this word in the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary.

Main Entry: ob�li�ga�tion
Pronunciation: "�-bl&-'gA-sh&n
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1 : the action of obligating oneself to a course of action (as by a promise or vow)
2 a : something (as a formal contract, a promise, or the demands of conscience or custom) that obligates one to a course of action b : a debt security (as a mortgage or corporate bond) c : a commitment (as by a government) to pay a particular sum of money; also : an amount owed under such an obligation <unable to meet its obligations, the company went into bankruptcy>
3 a : a condition or feeling of being obligated b : a debt of gratitude
4 : something one is bound to do : DUTY, RESPONSIBILITY

For some reason the use of this word seems very legalistic to me.

I prefer to look at it as Dr John put it, we go because we want to not because we have to.

I have asked a fellow Latin Catholic about this, what of the man who only goes to Mass because he is obligated to? He will not, or can not, answer this.

As it says on Melkite Greek Catholic Church Eparchy of Newton web site.

Remember: the Church does not impose. Rather, as a loving Mother, She proposes.

Your little brother in Christ,
David

ps but those of you with Mothers know what happens when you don't do what she proposes [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by dbalok (edited 06-29-2001).]

#72583 06/29/01 03:31 PM
B
B
David --

That view of proposing and not imposing applies to Byzantines, but not to Latins. Byzantines, for example, are often not to confess fasting-related "sins", whereas for RCs to fail to satisfy the (admittedly relaxed) canonical requirements for fasting in the Latin rite is without question a confessable sin -- and certainly even moreso if done deliberately.

The concept of obligation in the Latin rite is not entirely negative -- someone who goes to Mass when he doesn't feel inclined to, but goes anyway because he feels obliged to do so, is still validly fulfilling his obligations, and is better off that way than not going at all. One would hope such an individual would strive to become closer to God, such that Mass would be seen as more of a joy and less of an obligation -- but the obligation, if it gets people in the pews, is not always a bad thing. In Orthodoxy, if one misses liturgy for a worthy reason, one commits no sin -- but there are many Orthodox who miss liturgy way too often, and for less than worthy reasons, and there isn't this sense of "obligation" there which tends to increase church attendance. I tend to agree that it's a limited way of looking at things -- but as long as one does not fall into the trap of making it the limit of one's actions, it is not always a bad thing.

Brendan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.