The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#85138 06/03/02 04:38 PM
Gideon Offline OP
OP Offline
For sanity and salvation I am seriously contemplating converting to the Orthodox faith, however my wife is a firm believer in the Baptist tradition and will not convert. So I ask is their salvation outside the Orthodox faith and is this common among new converts? (for only one person in a marriage to convert)

PS. Is it common for people to talk and walk up to light candles in front of the Holy Icons during the Liturgy?

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: Odo ]

Abba Isidore the Priest:
When I was younger and remained in my cell I set no limit to prayer; the night was for me as much the time of prayer as the day.
(p. 97, Isidore 4)
#85139 06/03/02 07:09 PM
O
O
Odo,

I am a guest here myself and do not represent the pervasive views of it's other members.

And to be fair, I will say they consider me a schismatic and who knows what else.

But, since I seem to be the only renegade, I will offer to go out on the limb where noone dares to go and of those that have, few have survived. smile

It is true that there is no salvation without the baptism of the Church. That does not mean one is condemned to the Western notion of "Hell and eternal torment", but one could certainly not inheret the "Kingdom" (Vasilios, meaning the "uncreated Light") of God.

There is also no marriage outside the Church, so in the eyes of the Orthodox Church, you are not married and could not be married unless you were both Orthodox.

The departure I will have with the hosts of this board is what constitutes the Orthodox Church? Since I am just a guest, I will leave the rest to them...

But before I go, might I recommend a very nice website for more information...

www.fatheralexander.org [fatheralexander.org]

----------------------------

ps. It is very common for people to walk up and lite candles and venerate (kiss) the icons during the service.

For instance, just before Holy Communion, one Venerates the icons just before because one should not kiss anything after.

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: OrthodoxyOrDeath ]

#85140 06/03/02 07:34 PM
novice O.Carm.
novice O.Carm.
Odo asked

So I ask is their salvation outside the Orthodox faith and is this common among new converts?

OOD answered

It is true that there is no salvation without the baptism of the Church. That does not mean one is condemned to the Western notion of "Hell and eternal torment", but one could certainly not inheret the "Kingdom" (Vasilios, meaning the "uncreated Light") of God.

Now my comment.

My answer would be that we do not know.

As for OOD's answer, I would like to request that he shows some evidence for this third place, that is Heaven, Hell, and now someplace else for those not baptized.

Or did I misunderstand what you said? confused

Your brother in Christ,
David

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: DavidB ]

#85141 06/03/02 08:02 PM
O
O
DavidB,

The typical understanding of Heaven and Hell is a Western idea and has never been Orthodox.

Now, given my history on this subject I would offer a link to the "River of Fire" by Alexandre Kalomiros who put't it together rather nice, but this is much shorter...

http://www.oca.org/pages/orth_chri/Orthodox-Faith/Spirituality/Heaven-and-Hell.html

#85142 06/04/02 12:39 PM
Dear OOD,

Excellent exposition!

Pervasive views of the members here? Are there such things? smile

Alex

#85143 06/04/02 02:47 PM
M
Administrator
Administrator
M
The link provided by OoD gives and explanation that is very similar to what I learned as a kid. It is very Eastern but also very Russian. It would be wonderful if someone could take the time to examine the various Eastern Christian presentations of heaven and hell and the influences on each. The Russian approach is very much influenced by Dostoevsky and others (in that it is almost poetical or romantic). The Greeks seem to approach this topic from a more philosophical perspective.

#85144 06/04/02 05:02 PM
Glory to Jesus Christ!

Dear Odo,

I personally know two couples where one spouse became Eastern Orthodox before another. I know one couple where they became Eastern Orthodox together. Interestingly enough, all three couples exited the Presbyterian Church.

I have read about other cases (regarding confirmation in the Eastern Orthodox or Roman Catholic churches). In particular, The Boston Globe ran an article a month ago about a husband following his wife into Roman Catholicism - a decade or so after they married!

#85145 06/04/02 07:26 PM
Gideon Offline OP
OP Offline
Why does the ROCOR hold to such a different view then the majority of the other Orthodox Churches? They seem less �catholic� in their thought, then say the Greek Orthodox Church. If I was to become Orthodox, would I be considered as �living in sin�? What is it that makes the Orthodox Church more universal then the Latin Church? Is it not God that gave us the Holy Church and is it not God alone that makes judgment against us? I understand that we are to �expel the immoral brother� but at the same time we must not over step the authority that Christ gave to his Church. (I�m probably far off but then again I�m still learning) Yours (struggling to understand) in the Faith,

odo

Abba Isidore the Priest:
When I was younger and remained in my cell I set no limit to prayer; the night was for me as much the time of prayer as the day.
(p. 97, Isidore 4)
#85146 06/04/02 08:00 PM
Dear Odo,

ROCOR considers itself not in communion with "World Orthodoxy" for all intents and purposes.

I would recommend you become an Eastern Catholic. You'll have all the richness of Eastern theology and spirituality with none of the problems of jurisdictionalism . . .

Oh darn, I wasn't supposed to let my partisan bias show . . . sorry, sorry . . . smile

Alex

#85147 06/04/02 08:43 PM
Gideon Offline OP
OP Offline
Orthodox vs. Eastern Catholic what is the difference? I like the Greek Orthodox Church in Canada what do you all think?

Odo eek

Abba Isidore the Priest:
(p. 97, Isidore 4)
#85148 06/05/02 06:02 AM
Well, I don't know about the Greek Orthodox in Canada. However, I do know about being a Baptist. When my husband, who was raised PNC and I prayed for the place God wanted us to be, where we would both be a peace(he didn't want Baptist and I didn't want Roman Catholic), God gave very clear directions through a series of events. We ended up in the Ruthenian Church. Never looked back and have loved every minute of serving the Lord in it. God knew where he wanted us to be and once we were willing to ask him to make it clear to us, he did.

Rose smile

#85149 06/05/02 12:59 PM
Dear Odo,

I just love the Orthodox to death! smile

But if you don't think there is a difference between the Orthodox and Eastern Catholics, then I would say you are already of the Eastern Catholic point of view. smile

(Right, Brendan? smile )

Alex

#85150 06/05/02 02:02 PM
O
O
Odo,

You asked for opinion...My recommendation, if it has to be a choice between the Greek Orthodox under Constantinople, and the Byzantine Catholics, I recommend the Byzantine Catholic.

Rather you be with the pope than to live you life thinking you are Orthodox. After all, at least this way you won't have organs smile

If you are serious about finding the Church, then you MUST find by frequent prayer and reading the Fathers the faith of the Apostles. Then you must find a priest and a bishop who hold that faith.

It is also very important to understand all things from both perspectives. For instance, you may find the Council of Florence was a union between the Orthodox and the Latins and that therefore the faiths must be very close if not the same. Upon further study you will find there was no union and that it was all about politics and nothing about faith, on boths sides.

How many people know that the pope and the Latin bishops were using this council to further their own authority and diminish the others? Truly, when the time for the coucil, the Latin bishops and the pope each sent a fleet to pick up the "Orthodox" delegation. Upon arrival at constantinople, both fleets nearly went to battle. All signatures were not found on the "union", and it was never accepted in any Orthodox lands.

#85151 06/05/02 02:13 PM
Dear OOD,

However, and I'm just raising an historical point, many Greek Bishops did, in fact, sign that union, leaving St Mark of Ephesus and his group of supporters in the minority at the time.

St Mark came to that Council as a unionist, with the only demand that the Latins remove the "Filioque" from the Creed.

He apparently believed that God would heal the "Latin heresy" once the Filioque was removed.

The fact that many Greek Bishops did sign that union and meant it is also illustrated in St Mark's Last Will and Testament when he ordered his supporters to prevent any Greek Bishop who signed the union from assisting at his funerary rites.

The Russian Orthodox Church at the time just assumed that the entire Greek Church had gone into heresy with Rome and that was when the "Moscow as Third Rome" view took on a life of its own.

In addition, the Byzantine Emperor St Constantine XI, glorified by the Orthodox Church, DID in face receive Communion from a Latin Cardinal before he went to defend Constantinople.

Unless the Orthodox had Cardinals, this means that St Constantine, at that time, was an Eastern Catholic.

But I commend you for encouraging our friend to become an Eastern Catholic! smile

You are wonderful!

Alex

#85152 06/05/02 02:24 PM
Gideon Offline OP
OP Offline
Before I jump into anything, I do need a lot more study. However, I do already prefer the Orthodox Church from my limited experience. I had never heard of the Byzantine Catholics before, I had always just lumped Orthodox with the Byzantine Catholics. I live in a small town that has only two Orthodox Churches. One is Ukrainian and the other Greek. I prefer the Greek for the simple fact that the people attending that Church are going out of their way to help me learn more about Orthodoxy. I have also been in contact with a Coptic Church and was wondering what the differences are between Orthodoxy and the Coptic brand of Orthodoxy?

Odo
cool

Abba Isidore the Priest:
(p. 97, Isidore 4)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.